Motherboard Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX

warpower

Chassis Packer
Jun 2, 2020
Hello together,

I just installed my new SFF system with an Asrock B550 Phantom gaming... ☺

Chassis: Streacom Fc9 Alpha (plus ht4 thermal riser)
Motherboard: Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax
CPU: AM4 Ryzen 7 3700X 3,6 GHz 65W
Memory: 32GB Kit Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16
SSD1: SAMSUNG - SSD 970 EVO PLUS 500Gb
SSD2: WD Blue SN550 1T
GPU: ASUS - GeForce GTX 1650 Low Profile OC edition 4GB GDDR5
PSU: Streacom ZF240

Most of the time, GPU fans are quiet. Even when they're working, I barely hear any sound. Later I might try to find a way to remove those GPU fans and connect it to the chassis case.

...So far so good ?

All the best!
WP

orekart

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 11, 2020
Motherboard arrived and did a quick check of the clearance between the SATA ports and the power supply when positioned in its "normal" spot. Looks like about 5mm.

Did you locate the "Post Status Checker"? I can't find it even though it is bandied about on the ASRock website product page for the B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

Waiting on a memory kit to arrive and so no DIMMs installed, I should see some kind of Post Status Checker right? The only LEDs I can see are unhelpful RGB colour cycling. Does ASRock routinely list features that don't make it to shipping products or did I somehow miss the location of "Post Status Checker"?

LNH

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
Probable dumb question...
I'm looking to power the two bottom mounted Noctua NF-A12x25 fans from the header labelled in the manual as item #5 "CPU/Water Pump Fan Connector (CPU_FAN2/WP). I'm only using one CPU cooler fan so don't need a second fan header for that purpose. Is there any reason to avoid this setup?

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
finally

Gangs all here!
although @Ricky Zeng already beat me to the blackridge+nf-a12x15 compatibility test over here.

i have a 2x32GB corsair lpx set and a 2x32GB vlp set from supermicro. i'll be testing out the fan compatibility on these noctua coolers and hopefully i'll be able to fit an a12x25 under the regularl12 with that vlp ram. i'll be testing out the supermicro kit over on the vlp ddr4 thread. might cross-post here but ?‍♂️

Last edited:

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
i have a 2x32GB corsair lpx set and a 2x32GB vlp set from supermicro.

What a load of goodies! And also sorry that I got tired of waiting for the ITX/ac and divert to PG ITX/ax instead :-)
Where can we get the 32GB VLP rams? Are the ECC server rams? I find it so difficult to get VLP rams larger than 8GB per stick that's readily available...

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
What a load of goodies! And also sorry that I got tired of waiting for the ITX/ac and divert to PG ITX/ax instead :-)
Where can we get the 32GB VLP rams? Are the ECC server rams? I find it so difficult to get VLP rams larger than 8GB per stick that's readily available...
you can get the 32gb dimms here. they're ecc. pretty expensive too. my thinking ahead of testing is that using an nh-l12 with the 120x15 and the lpx will fare better on ryzen 3000 than the 120x25 with vlp. it'll definitely be different on intel but i have yet to see an intel itx board that's favorable to overclocking and compatible with the nh-l12.

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
you can get the 32gb dimms here. they're ecc. pretty expensive too. my thinking ahead of testing is that using an nh-l12 with the 120x15 and the lpx will fare better on ryzen 3000 than the 120x25 with vlp. it'll definitely be different on intel but i have yet to see an intel itx board that's favorable to overclocking and compatible with the nh-l12.
Thank you! That'll be my next upgrade target for the build with blackridge, unless any other OEM suddenly decided to release a new large-ish capacity VLP ram (pretty please, Corsair / Kingston).

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
been very busy. will get to testing today.
ran into a snag with the ghost s1 and the nf-a12x25 mounted under the heatsink. if i put the fan blowing down towards the motherboard the heatsink is forced to bend up at an angle. the center screw for the secufirm is a button-head and it sits proud of the bracket which pushes on the fan frame. guess i'll be sourcing a countersunk m̶5̶ m4.5 screw and probably modifying the bracket. i'll use another cooler and get the system tested with that vlp in the meantime.

Last edited:

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
ran into a snag with the ghost s1 and the nf-a12x25 mounted under the heatsink. if i put the fan blowing down towards the motherboard the heatsink is forced to bend up at an angle. the center screw for the secufirm is a button-head and it sits proud of the bracket which pushes on the fan frame. guess i'll be sourcing a countersunk m̶5̶ m4.5 screw and probably modifying the bracket. i'll use another cooler and get the system tested with that vlp in the meantime.
turns out it was an m4 screw. of course.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
KitGuru has a review out. Mostly good, but there seem to be some erroneous sensor readouts (power and voltage) causing the CPU to run at higher voltages than necessary and thus draw more power than it should. Hopefully there'll be a BIOS update to fix this. Other than that, good marks all around.

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
KitGuru has a review out. Mostly good, but there seem to be some erroneous sensor readouts (power and voltage) causing the CPU to run at higher voltages than necessary and thus draw more power than it should. Hopefully there'll be a BIOS update to fix this. Other than that, good marks all around.

Saw the video review earlier. I actually don't quite understand the logic: enthusiasts crave for overcloaking and performance boost, but when AMD / board OEM give us some secret overcloaking, this is a big No No??

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Saw the video review earlier. I actually don't quite understand the logic: enthusiasts crave for overcloaking and performance boost, but when AMD / board OEM give us some secret overcloaking, this is a big No No??
Uhm, yes. Overclocking is a manual process of tuning a specific processor under specific conditions that depends very much on bare metal control over hardware and accurate readouts of all relevant parameters. What this board does is the polar opposite of that - an automated blanket increase in voltages and boost levels entirely outside of the control of the user, with no way of alleviating this effectively, and worst of all, fundamentally inaccurate readouts of important data (in other words: the board lies to its users).

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016

Unsure if this errorneus sensor data is only affecting the PB2 algorithm, they mentioned? Or will the CPU run on higher voltage overall, regardless? Even if precision boost is turned off? I am only intersting in running the CPU at stock, all boosting turned off, with minimal power consumption.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Unsure if this errorneus sensor data is only affecting the PB2 algorithm, they mentioned? Or will the CPU run on higher voltage overall, regardless? Even if precision boost is turned off? I am only intersting in running the CPU at stock, all boosting turned off, with minimal power consumption.
Their data was at stock, I assume that means with PBO off.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Their data was at stock, I assume that means with PBO off.

Yeah, I heard they mentioned "stock", but it wasn't too clear. Sounds like something AsRock does not care to fix... and that was my primary itx board candidate.