Motherboard Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX

Snerual

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 3, 2020
Color me impressed if the corsair lpx ram runs at xmp with no issues. It's probably the shittiest binned ram out there, so if it works AMD has done a good job.
Wut? My Vengeance LPX is B-Die and runs XMP without issue on my shitty B350 Gigabyte board.

LNH

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
My ASrock board arrives tomorrow, but might have to return it for a different board. It seems the right angle SATA ports are a horrible decision by ASrock. I'm using the NCASE M1 and unless I move the SFX power supply to the front position (which eliminates the adjustable cage for internal drives), it seems nearly 100% certain the power supply will interfere with plugging anything into SATA even with thin right angle cables from Silverstone. I'd like to be proven wrong about this. Can someone confirm if the SATA ports are on the exact edge of the board (the pictures make it look like this).

As much as I like every other aspect of this board, the Gigabyte might be the best alternative, but with the front USB C needing something like the Silverstone CP-14E adapter and giving up higher performance front USB C. Like some others, I'd like as many rear USB ports as possible.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
My ASrock board arrives tomorrow, but might have to return it for a different board. It seems the right angle SATA ports are a horrible decision by ASrock. I'm using the NCASE M1 and unless I move the SFX power supply to the front position (which eliminates the adjustable cage for internal drives), it seems nearly 100% certain the power supply will interfere with plugging anything into SATA even with thin right angle cables from Silverstone. I'd like to be proven wrong about this. Can someone confirm if the SATA ports are on the exact edge of the board (the pictures make it look like this).

As much as I like every other aspect of this board, the Gigabyte might be the best alternative, but with the front USB C needing something like the Silverstone CP-14E adapter and giving up higher performance front USB C. Like some others, I'd like as many rear USB ports as possible.

Reactions: LNH and Blubbie21

Blubbie21

Trash Compacter
Feb 3, 2020

Hi NinoPecorino,
I was also very close to buy this board. But i will not. Reason is the SATA Connector. But... this is definetly not a show stopper. I have information from a person using exaclty this board with a NCAse - and he agrees - this is a very thight fit - but with 90° sata adapter the connector will fit with the powersupply - on both positions.
But - one major issue: you always will need to dismount / remove your powersupply to add or remove a sata-cable to the motherboard.

So basicly - it works! But kind of sucks....
From my side - i think i will switch to MSI B550 ITX Gaming board. As far as i heard the visible chipset fan is semi-passiv and can be disabled easy and is more a fan for the NVME drive than for the chipset.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Hi NinoPecorino,
I was also very close to buy this board. But i will not. Reason is the SATA Connector. But... this is definetly not a show stopper. I have information from a person using exaclty this board with a NCAse - and he agrees - this is a very thight fit - but with 90° sata adapter the connector will fit with the powersupply - on both positions.
But - one major issue: you always will need to dismount / remove your powersupply to add or remove a sata-cable to the motherboard.

From my side - i think i will switch to MSI B550 ITX Gaming board. As far as i heard the visible chipset fan is semi-passiv and can be disabled easy and is more a fan for the NVME drive than for the chipset.
it's definitely a total headache and in a lot of cases a deal-breaker but i'm only using m.2 drives so it just doesn't affect me. like every other person with a vocal interest in this board i would have preferred 2 vertical sata to 4 horizontal but clearly most motherboard makers still don't fully understand the itx segment. maybe they'll get it right with x670 or z590 or ?‍♂️

Reactions: Blubbie21

LNH

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
Hi NinoPecorino,

Thank you, that is good info. I assume the Silverstone Tek CP11 series right angle adapters are about as thin and low profile as you can get. Any other good choices out there for low profile right angle adapters?

LNH

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
Motherboard arrived and did a quick check of the clearance between the SATA ports and the power supply when positioned in its "normal" spot. Looks like about 5mm.

LNH

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
Does anyone have a Silverstone CP11 SATA cable they could measure? The critical dimension is how much is sticking out when it's plugged in.

Not that it makes any difference at this point, but the other stupid decision was making those 90° SATA ports left angle rather than right angle. Even for enclosures without the space constraints of the NCASE, there are far more right angle cables in the market than left angle versions.

Ze_Juse

Case Bender
New User
Jul 8, 2020
I ordered the Asrock board for my Ncase build and ran into this same issue. Even with the Silverstone cable I could not install the psu. I could only ever align on of the screws for the psu bracket.

Ze_Juse

Case Bender
New User
Jul 8, 2020
Reactions: NinoPecorino