Motherboard Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I like the new Gigabyte ITX board the most TBH.

just realised that Gigabyte board doesn't have the 19-pin front USB C header so this Asrock board takes it for me, and it has more rear USB ports than both the Asus and Gigabyte hahaha. The only wildcard now is the MSI board

Wonder if it'll fit a Black Ridge

so far it's looking good, the VRM heatsink is narrower than my X570i aorus board and there's no stupid PCH fan that clash against the 92mm fan

Reactions: skisendr

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
After looking it over I'm more impressed by this than I thought I would be - seems like Asrock has gone back on all of their dumb decisions from the X570 (Intel cooler mount, TB3 instead of dual m.2, overly cramped layout). This looks very nice, and might be a better fit for my custom semi-passive cooler for my HTPC than the Gigabyte. Will need to consider it. But they're using the bugged Intel 2.5GbE controller, which is a serious issue. Might necessitate an RMA down the line once Intel releases their fixed silicon, but that would be a major hassle.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
And one amazing thing IMO is the use of the M2 22110 on the front using the CPU 4.0 lanes!!!!

Also gigabyte seems is using it, but for the rear one using the chipset lanes.

Gigabyte is also the only one using the 2.5 Lan from Realtek and not the Intel one.

Mo info instead on the MSI

SimonC

Efficiency Noob
May 23, 2020
I've been waiting patiently to see what the various B550 ITX boards would bring to the table as I'm wanting to use one in an upcoming NZXT H1 build (once scan get their stock in here in the UK). So far each of them seems to do most of what I'm after but not quite nailing all of them. I definitely want a front USB C header so that's Gigabyte out, and the rather mediocre offering of rear USB ports on the Asus and ASrock are a bit of a disappointment too. Although MSI haven't yet provided full details yet of their ITX board, according to their generic B550 page "All MSI B550 motherboards support USB Front Type-C connectors that allows users to connect with the latest USB devices, as well as a perfect compatibility with MSI cases." so that sounds promising - just a question of what rear connectivity we will see I suppose. Looks like Wed May 27th is when they are doing their proper reveal of them.

Reactions: manoueltiger

Nero

Average Stuffer
May 28, 2020
You guys found any review of this board?

I was going to get the Gigabyte but availability is "15 days+" at most for the retailers in my country while the Asrock is available right now at the same price (despite its official msrp being $30 more) so it looks like a pretty good option.

Ricky Zeng

Trash Compacter
Jun 10, 2020
my board came in today. i'll be putting it through it's paces this week. what air coolers do you want to see compatibility with?
Any chance you'll be able to test if Blackridge with 12x15 slim fan underneath can be mounted? Especially curious about the clearance near VRM heatsink. Thanks~

1drumshark

Case Bender
New User
Jul 1, 2020
I just got the board today, and feel like an absolute moron. I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to ask, but can't find the answer to my question anywhere.

Where in the world is the power switch connector? It's got a 2 pin CMOS reset connector, but no 2 pin power connector. There are no buttons on the board that I can find at all. I haven't built a computer in 6 years, but there has to be some sort of power button or switch connection, right?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I just got the board today, and feel like an absolute moron. I apologize if this isn't the appropriate place to ask, but can't find the answer to my question anywhere.

Where in the world is the power switch connector? It's got a 2 pin CMOS reset connector, but no 2 pin power connector. There are no buttons on the board that I can find at all. I haven't built a computer in 6 years, but there has to be some sort of power button or switch connection, right?

Top 2 on the left below the blank one. There isn't just a separate 2 pin connector for the power button.

Reactions: Qrash

lasfsw

Cable Smoosher
Jul 1, 2020
First of all, thank you to all the experts here. Been reading and learning a lot from everyone. Total rookie here, so please forgive me if I don’t refer to things properly. First build and I want to contribute back to the community. My pre-order ASRock B550 Phantom finally arrived. I matched it with Vengeance LPX RAM and Noctua NH-L12S. It fits with a couple mm to spare from pipe bend to VRM heatsink or I/O (?). Here are some pics. Have a XTIA Butterfly case arriving Monday that I will use as my open case/test bench and hope to also score a Sidearm T1 case soon. Thanks.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Any chance you'll be able to test if Blackridge with 12x15 slim fan underneath can be mounted? Especially curious about the clearance near VRM heatsink. Thanks~
yeah i will definitely test it with the blackridge and slim noctua

manoueltiger

Trash Compacter
Mar 10, 2020
yeah i will definitely test it with the blackridge and slim noctua

First of all, thank you to all the experts here. Been reading and learning a lot from everyone. Total rookie here, so please forgive me if I don’t refer to things properly. First build and I want to contribute back to the community. My pre-order ASRock B550 Phantom finally arrived. I matched it with Vengeance LPX RAM and Noctua NH-L12S. It fits with a couple mm to spare from pipe bend to VRM heatsink or I/O (?). Here are some pics. Have a XTIA Butterfly case arriving Monday that I will use as my open case/test bench and hope to also score a Sidearm T1 case soon. Thanks.

Hey guys, what about the bios ?
What do you think about this MB?
Thanks

Last edited:

spiral

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2020
Color me impressed if the corsair lpx ram runs at xmp with no issues. It's probably the shittiest binned ram out there, so if it works AMD has done a good job.