Asetek 645LT cooler failure?!?!?

CodeBeing

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
So, I finally got my Dan A4-SFX all together...loaded Windows 10, games, apps and patched it all up.

I put it through it's gaming paces tonight with my normal Overwatch marathon...and POOF. All of the sudden, the system is stuttering, slowing down, acting all kinds of odd.

I decide to exit the game, shut down the system and see what's up. I open her up and one of the Asetek 645LT cooler tubes appears to have disconnected and all the fluid leaked inside the case!

I have no idea how this happened. I made sure to run the system normally (meaning, normal apps, no games that push the system...such as Word, browsers, etc.)...and checked all fans were running...and all temps in the system were normal.

Has anyone ever had a liquid cooler just up and fail like this? I have two other systems, both with Corsair water coolers that have never failed.

Pictures of the failure:

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
@AseDen is the Asetek rep, might want to get started on the RMA and parts replacement process

Edit:
Took a look at those pictures, do you have any from before?

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Sorry to have that happened to you... ? I hope the rest of the system is fine.

I think the orientation of the cooler pump stretched out the tube too much... Mine had the tubes come out at 12 and 1 o'clock position. I couldn't really install the AIO if it's oriented in the position in those pics.

But Asetek has ZERO documentation on how to install it, not even a PDF on their site. I stripped a screw hole thinking it needed one of the included screws and not just the A4-SFX screw.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonfireOfDreams

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Hi @CodeBeing

I've just talked to our Quality department.
This looks very unfortunate, and I can only say that I'm terribly sorry.
I would love to arrange a full replacement with you, where-in I ship you a brand new unit with a return label for the old unit as well, so that we can really dig into what has happened here.

How is the rest of your hardware? is it still functional? are there broken parts?

While showing QC the pictures they were slightly concerned about the bend radius on the tubes at the pump, and how this could potentially harm the product (due to the very tight bend, right at the beginning of the tube).

@UnknownBehemoth Like mentioned above, I do think there might be some merit to your argument about stretching it too thin, but we'll look into that with our QC department.

Documentation wise, I'm sad to say that you're absolutely right. I will get to work on this ASAP and can hopefully manage to get a very light page up and running on our website today. Until then could you maybe tell me if there's something in particular you'd want us to explain? :)

Let's get this solved ASAP :)

/Dennis

Reactions: BonfireOfDreams

Titeywitey

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
I've been lurking here to research for my build, but this made me make an account. This is exactly what terrifies me about water cooling.

That said, major props to Dennis for this reply. I'm sure he'll get you sorted out.

Reactions: AseDen

UnknownBehemoth

Trash Compacter
Mar 27, 2019
Documentation wise, I'm sad to say that you're absolutely right. I will get to work on this ASAP and can hopefully manage to get a very light page up and running on our website today. Until then could you maybe tell me if there's something in particular you'd want us to explain? :)
/Dennis

I think some IKEA-like or Lego-like instruction pictures just about what part goes where..
Like the plastic round thing that had the CPU bracket isn't used at all, it took me a couple of minutes.. ?

And some pictures/diagrams of the recommended pump orientation for use in the A4...
And what screws go where, what is the washer used for... Maybe some warnings to be careful that the screws and screw hole could be stripped...
Installing this in the A4 needs a lot of patience, and the frustration could make you carelessly force things to make things fit. ?

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I've been lurking here to research for my build, but this made me make an account. This is exactly what terrifies me about water cooling.

That said, major props to Dennis for this reply. I'm sure he'll get you sorted out.
This one was installed... really awkwardly. If the tubing was rotated 90° to the right, even if there was an inherent flaw with this sample it likely wouldn't have been an issue. I'm not a fan of AIOs personally, but they need to be installed with some thought given to tube slack.

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
This one was installed... really awkwardly. If the tubing was rotated 90° to the right, even if there was an inherent flaw with this sample it likely wouldn't have been an issue. I'm not a fan of AIOs personally, but they need to be installed with some thought given to tube slack.

I'm still waiting to hear back from the poster.
More on the thought be given to tube slack - I think this is a case, where frustration with the SFF nature might've pushed someone to make an ill-advised decision. That being said, we should've included instructions, and I'll be working on making that happening (as well as making them available online. -Just kind of "stuck" at Computex at the moment... Oh the torture?)

I'd love to know the reason it was mounted that exact way though, and not rotated within it's 12 possible angles...

Thank you Titeywitey.
You can rest assured using our AIO products. This is actually the first leak I've heard of. -Not saying that they cannot happen...

The reason for this exact leak is yet to be decided, but my guess would be that it wouldn't have happened had the pump been rotated 45-90 degrees either way. I will be back with more as soon as the poster contacts me, and we can bring this sample in for evaluation (as well as equip poster with a shiny new AIO of course)