Asetek 645 LTAIO retention lock ring install issues

KulaHI

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Is there a trick to installing that plastic lock ring? I'm about to skid that $&*#@ out the window. Been trying for an hour to snap it in.

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Hi @KulaHI,

Can you elaborate more, maybe with pictures? Intel or AMD?

I don't remember having much issue installing the pump block, and it would be helpful to know in what way you are having trouble? I have a Ryzen system, and mine only installed with the metal bracket with 4 screw holes on it. There was a plastic ring with four tabs on it that I didn't need, maybe it's for intel systems or maybe it's just for the packaging.

Reactions: prideauxdc

KulaHI

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Hi Elven, that plastic ring with four tabs is what I'm referring to. It's not cpu specific. Supposed to keep the metal bracket from rotating on gen4 pumps.

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Hi Elven, that plastic ring with four tabs is what I'm referring to. It's not cpu specific. Supposed to keep the metal bracket from rotating on gen4 pumps.
Wow there is definitely a lack of documentation for this product, but Asetek lists it as an option part for gen4 pumps, I suspect it's just "part" of the installation kit and not needed for your 6th gen pump. Mine installed securely without it if that helps.

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Also I finally found this installation instructions on Asetek site, they have a note the Ring is only needed for Gen4 pumps, since the 645LT is a Gen6 pump, I'm pretty sure you can just toss that retention ring. :)

"Step 3 Secure retention ring to the pump / block combo. Attach from the side that will contact the CPU. Swivel and click into place. NOTE: For Asetek Gen4 pumps, use the plastic retention clip to secure the pump to the retention ring after it is placed in the desired orientation"