SFF.Network Another Compact GPU Launched - XFX's RX460 Slim

Wow, this year seems to be the year of small graphics cards. Not only have we seen multiple nVidia 'ITX' spec cards or low profile cards, we are also seeing numerous models from the AMD camp.

Along these lines, we have now seen that XFX has launched a new card, an AMD RX460 Slim. This single slot, 170mm long (claimed) card, features all the usual tech expected from this GPU core. Running at a base of 1090 MHz and a boost to 1220MHz, with either 2 or 4GB of GDDR5 (depending on the SKU) running at 7GHz, this card is at the lower end of clock speeds, but that's to be expected with the card's party piece - the single slot cooler.

Read more here.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like the design a lot, quite sober and understated. I hope the top part of the shroud has ventilation holes or I would expect this cooler to not perform well at all.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It did look familiar ! Good catch ! I guess they wanted to re-introduce themselves :D
Human staff confirmed !

Reactions: Ceros_X

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
woops! ah well, means they are available now :p The original article is a 'coming soon'.

We are all human, sometimes we miss things that have happened in the past!

Reactions: Ceros_X

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I'm just as excited about more single slot cards as you are lol. Just wanted to bring it up quickly in case you wanted to scrap the article.

Too bad the 1050Ti trashes the 460 in most use scenarios and that there aren't any single slot 1050Ti units available in the west!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Glad this article got posted because I've been looking for it without much luck. Now I know it'll be appearing soon at least.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Is the 4GB edition of the 460 worth the money vs. the regular 2GB 1050?

You can have higher res textures, but otherwise, about equal performance to the 1050 with latest drivers. Performance is the same. If you find one that you can unlock, you might get a slight edge, 5-10%.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
You can have higher res textures, but otherwise, about equal performance to the 1050 with latest drivers. Performance is the same. If you find one that you can unlock, you might get a slight edge, 5-10%.

Most of the reviews I have seen place the 1050 (non Ti) above the 460 on 80% of benchmarks. The RX 460 is actually placed between a 750Ti and a 1050 non-TI on a lot of charts, performance wise. Do you have some links to new driver benchmarks?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
It seems like we can get single slot or low profile but never both! I haven't seen one of those in a while.

Or even better:

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
Seriously. If a laptop can have discrete graphics in a playing-card sized area of the board (smaller than mxm for sure!) we've got to be able to have the above board size for a midrange card. Who cares if it loads up at 90 C? I do not care. But I do want to put a discrete card in an M350 (and I know that's been done as well but I want to do it with a modern card!)

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Remember this video and most especially

The RX 460 can be undervolted and underclocked so that it consumes very little power and yet it loses little in performance and so even a single slot cooler will deal with it. I have recently bought a Dell T1600 with a first generation E3 1245 to consolidate my Linux desktop (i5 2400) and my Windows gaming machine (i3 2120) and this is the absolute best fit because using a single slot I will not block any of the PCIe slots -- and I need both because I need to add an Intel WiFi+BT and a USB 3.0 card both. I am really glad to have found this card. It is extremely funny that the whole, incredibly capable machine and the video card costs the same, though -- the complete machine with the rough equivalent of an i7 2600 and 8GB ECC RAM was $135 + $21.47 shipping and the card is $139.99 + FS...

BTW such pity Intel never made a combo USB 3.0 + WiFi PCIe card.

Last edited:

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
Seriously. If a laptop can have discrete graphics in a playing-card sized area of the board (smaller than mxm for sure!) we've got to be able to have the above board size for a midrange card. Who cares if it loads up at 90 C? I do not care. But I do want to put a discrete card in an M350 (and I know that's been done as well but I want to do it with a modern card!)

Haven't seen that, but the M300 already has an expansion slot for a GPU. It only needs ventilation holes cut out. It's ugly as sin though.

http://www.mini-box.com/Mini-Box-M300

Reactions: GentlemanShark

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
It seems like we can get single slot or low profile but never both! I haven't seen one of those in a while.

Or even better:
-snip-
If most of the VRAM componentry (except the chokes) was moved to the back, along with the use of surface mount caps as close to the display section as possible, the VRAM chips could be moved to the far left (and reverse side) and the GPU could be on the far right side with a heatsink exhausting into the case. That'd might actually work :p

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I got the 2GB model. First impression: it's surprisingly heavy. I will be testing the coming days. Ask away.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Interested in power draw, temps and noise! Please post your impressions, very interested in the card for a while.