Memory And they all said I couldn't do it... Low profile DDR4 SODIMMs!!

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
I had them for about a week before I shipped them off, still got an extra for me to test my board with.

I wish I took more photos, but this is what I have. Tell me what you guys think! Aren't they tiny?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Awesomesauce. The only limiting factors to SO-DIMM physical size are 1) the physical edge connection and 2) the retention clip. Ok, and maybe 3) cooling area. If you can fit 128GB on a flash drive, then the actual memory size is not limiting.

Given the number of connectors on a DIMM/SO-DIMM, it might make sense to start developing a spec for a RAM interface that is a smallish LGA socket instead of a card edge.

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
what's the maximum you could put on there(ecc also if it would be more)?
and how big is the price increase over the regular height ones?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wow those are tiny.
At this point, the socket and locking tabs are way too large. Hopefully board manufacturers will start switching to the socket and locks laptops use, if LP SODIMM becomes more common:

But vertically ofcourse. And black.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
So is there a full size-variant? I mean same low-profile, but for normal RAM-slots? I haven't seen such DIMMs since DDR2 for full-size slots

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
Yep, see here. If you search around a bit you can find other variants too.

Thanks. But...

.. 204 dollars or 220 euro for 16 gb cl17 and only 2400 mhz???? That is outrageous even if it is a nieche product! I'll get some incredible performance and rgb-onslaught with that kind of money; https://m.mindfactory.de/product_in...RGB-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit_1138152.html

Sure, is ECC, but still. Btw, could I even use ECC DIMMs on normal mobo without ECC-support?

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Original poster
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Thanks. But...

.. 204 dollars or 220 euro for 16 gb cl17 and only 2400 mhz???? That is outrageous even if it is a nieche product! I'll get some incredible performance and rgb-onslaught with that kind of money; https://m.mindfactory.de/product_in...RGB-DDR4-3200-DIMM-CL16-Dual-Kit_1138152.html

Sure, is ECC, but still. Btw, could I even use ECC DIMMs on normal mobo without ECC-support?
It's extremely niche and not targeted towards individual consumers like us, so eh? I believe it. No, ECC RAM needs an ECC supported mobo.