Motherboard How do I find the pinout of a proprietary header? (Thinkstation P360 Ultra)

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2023
Hello everyone!

It's not my conventional approach, but I was enamored with the tiny size of Lenovo's Thinkstation P360 Ultra and decided to buy one. Thorugh parts deals I have it loaded with an i9-12900, 48GB of SODIMM memory, dual WD SN850X SSDs alongside an Optane 900p where my OS lives and an RTX A2000. While DLSS does a ton of heavy lifting at 3440x1440 I would like more graphical grunt. However, the proprietary card Lenovo offers for this build (the laptop A5000) will cost me a cool ~$4500 direct from Lenovo.

Ouch.

That said, the RTX 4000 SFF has hit the market with better specs, 4 extra GB of memory and most importantly, a active 8 pin header from where more performance can be extracted. However, the motherboard uses a custom port to attach the GPU. If I wanted to figure out what each of the header pins does without destroying the board, how would I do that?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
if you already got an P360 Ultra with the A2000 you could just upgrade the GPU to the 4000 SFF ADA since your P360 should have the special riser card installed... or do you mean another header?

1688707748121.png

1688707686080.png

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2023
if you already got an P360 Ultra with the A2000 you could just upgrade the GPU to the 4000 SFF ADA since your P360 should have the special riser card installed... or do you mean another header?

View attachment 2594

View attachment 2593
This is true, but I've heard of shunt modded RTX 4000 SFFs that can draw up to 115W at full tilt. It just so happens that Lenovo has a dedicated header to the custom MXM graphics solution they sell, but it's ludicrously expensive. Nonetheless, it provides an extra 45W of power, as seen here:
In order to get this extra power, it connects to a header on the motherboard with the help of a ribbon cable. The PCIe specs lists 75W of power delivery at max. While it might be "safe" to overdraw by 10W or so, 45W would put already hot components to their breaking point under load. Therefore, to get to the spec listed by the A5000 Mobile on that sheet, it uses another header. It's listed in the HMM, page 53 header 8:

However, it has no pinout. I know you're really talented with SFF mods; any advice?

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2023
OK, now I see...

Do you have a multimeter to check where you could grab some additional +12V off that motherboard header to realize the +12V power cable mod?
Unfortunately my multimeter probes are a little large for those very tiny pins. I hope I can avoid shorting them; I'll open up the machine and strip out the internal components down to the CPU/1 DIMM before I begin probing.

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2023
OK, now I see...

Do you have a multimeter to check where you could grab some additional +12V off that motherboard header to realize the +12V power cable mod?
Relevant question to you though: does the A2000 have any pads or whatnot onboard that power could be routed to?

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2023
OK, now I see...

I finally have some time this weekend to probe the case. I'm new to probing; can you recommend a guide or advice on how I should do this?

joelypolly

Efficiency Noob
Jan 13, 2020
Coming a bit late to the party but I believe this is a JST SHD 30 pin connector. I haven't had a chance to test the pin layout yet but going to go out on a limb and say its probably one row of ground and one row for 12V

Reactions: Phuncz

Nilithium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2023