Ammo Can SFF Build

Rado269

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 24, 2019
Hello! So I've recently been bitten by the SFF bug as well as just discovering these forums. Just love the tiny computers. Talking to a buddy of mine who shoots competitively, and he thought it'd be cool to have an ammo can computer. I said I could probably do that. Here's the result. Just kind of wanted to show people that you can do anything you want with SFF builds! Sky's the limit.The intent was for it to look completely like a normal ammo can, not a PC. Of course the lid will be on for daily use. The casing on the back is the power button. PSU doubles as exhaust. For a little extra addition (and to help with cable management) I made custom sleeved paracord cables along with a shorty plug to convert the 28-pin to 24-pin and flip the connector.

Components:

Ryzen 5 2400g
Gigabyte Aorus B450i
GSKILLZ Ripjaws DDR4-3200 2x8GB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB
Corsair H60 Water Cooler
Corsair SF450 PSU
Noctua 92 mm Slim Fans
Noctua 120 mm Slim Fan

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
Nice! That's a lot of cooling and PSU for an APU. Was something like a PicoPSU (or similar) + air cooling viable? You may be able to fit it all into a smaller 30cal can if that's the case :D.

Reactions: Curiosity

Rado269

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 24, 2019
The cooling is a long story, and air cooling would totally work, but since you asked...

The original plan was to just have the AIO in there, facing down, drawing air in from the bottom. Main reason for AIO was the coolness factor; my buddy isn't in to computers and giving him a watercooled setup would be cool. Unfortunately my initial drawing didn't account for the height of the DIMM slots/RAM. So then the plan changed to air. I had already bought and opened the cooler at this point.

Changed the design to have the two fans for air cooling with the Wraith Stealth. Got everything assembled and into the can and realized I still might be able to squeeze the water cooler in there as well. It's definitely excessive, but it runs very cold and the Noctua fans are super quiet.

PSU was mainly because fully modular was in the plan from the get go. I knew I wanted to make him some custom cables, and also figured if he ever decided he wanted a graphics card and/or additional SSD storage in the future it would be easy to add (in a different case) with no additional cost for components. Basically future proofing for upgrades.

I've never heard of this PicoPSU, I'll have to look into it!

Reactions: glow

zack20cb

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 24, 2019
This is awesome! I'm thinking of moving my machine from a Silverstone ML09 to a PA19 "Tall 50 Cal" ammo case. The ML09 is nice and compact, but with a GPU installed, blocking the two 80mm fans, there really isn't anywhere for the air to go. My goal with the ammo can is to have really smooth airflow for cool, quiet operation.

The bottom and top (in this orientation) don't need to flow any air, so it should work horizontally, with the monitor on top, old-school desktop style.