News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

TheArkratos

Caliper Novice
Mar 26, 2019
The big thing for me is I think I'll just CNC a new heatsink top, which will have to be aluminum, and my CNC (shapeoko 3) is still relatively new to me and while I've test cut some metal on it, I haven't exactly perfected cutting metal. That and I'm swamped preparing for Quake con (less than a week left). I have to finish up a build, redo some wiring, refill the loop, and make RAM heatsinks for one. And straight up do a build in another case with some minor mods.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Amazon is the devil!

Anyone think the Asus board will be $249?
I am not certain of price, but I have more specifics for the ASUS boards' release dates that I was just informed of on Reddit yesterday. According to Raja, an admin, moderator, and announcer who monitors ASUS's official ROG Discord channel and therefore likely is an employee, the Impact is estimated to release in late August/early September and the X570-I in September:

Reactions: Rmorrison

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
The big thing for me is I think I'll just CNC a new heatsink top, which will have to be aluminum, and my CNC (shapeoko 3) is still relatively new to me and while I've test cut some metal on it, I haven't exactly perfected cutting metal. That and I'm swamped preparing for Quake con (less than a week left). I have to finish up a build, redo some wiring, refill the loop, and make RAM heatsinks for one. And straight up do a build in another case with some minor mods.
I ~really~ wanted to get a shapeoko or mpcnc, but I live in an apartment and would be worried about dust for my wife's sake and noise complaints. I'm hopeful I'll get a place where I can have a powered outdoor shed soon.

TheArkratos

Caliper Novice
Mar 26, 2019
I ~really~ wanted to get a shapeoko or mpcnc, but I live in an apartment and would be worried about dust for my wife's sake and noise complaints. I'm hopeful I'll get a place where I can have a powered outdoor shed soon.
I also live in an apartment, but I have a shop vac with a dust boot, have it in my "work room", and don't run it after 10pm. So far no complaints.

I built a little setup under a table in the corner of the room, the base machine isn't too big.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I also live in an apartment, but I have a shop vac with a dust boot, have it in my "work room", and don't run it after 10pm. So far no complaints.

I built a little setup under a table in the corner of the room, the base machine isn't too big.
Any pictures?

TheArkratos

Caliper Novice
Mar 26, 2019
Any pictures?

Getting a little off topic, but here you go:
Before Cable Management and stuff:

After Cable Management and stuff:

Edit: If you do what I did, make sure you build a box otherwise shavings will go EVERYWHERE, I have a front piece that I slide in place for messy jobs, but honestly the shop vac/dust boot helps a ton, makes most jobs have zero clean up. You just have to remember all the material you remove basically turns into chips/dust. I'm still learning how to do metal but acrylic and MDF aren't an issue in the apartment with the shop vac. I got my dust boot at https://www.suckitdustboot.com/.

Last edited:

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
I am not certain of price, but I have more specifics for the ASUS boards' release dates that I was just informed of on Reddit yesterday. According to Raja, an admin, moderator, and announcer who monitors ASUS's official ROG Discord channel and therefore likely is an employee, the Impact is estimated to release in late August/early September and the X570-I in September:

Wow September for the itx board?! well, that gigabyte board sure is looking good.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Damn, everything I had heard previous to this was that the Crosshair Mini-DTX was supposed to launch about a month after the Ryzen launch, putting it at around early August. And that the Strix mini ITX was supposed to be a little bit before the mini DTX board, putting it around late July probably.

But September for the Strix X570-I? Ooof... I've pretty much got everything for my build outside of the SM580 and the motherboard and the 580 should probably be coming soon enough. I've just been dragging my feet on whether to get the Gigabyte board while I've been waiting for my SM580 to arrive. Early August I could deal with but anything beyond that and I'll just go with the Gigabyte board. Of course, problem is that the Gigabyte board is out of stock at Newegg as luck would have it.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
ASUS pretty much shot themselves in the foot with their ITX X570 release. If they intend to release over a month later to market than everyone else and try to pull premium $300+ prices, they will set themselves up for failure. That said, I still have a little hope left that perhaps the ASUS employee is being extremely conservative with his estimate. Recall that ASRock stated that the Phantom was not due until early August and now it is actually slated for late July. So they could be off by a few weeks and it could be more of early to mid August... I hope, anyway.

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019

Between this and Buildzoid's video (skip to 55:09 if link doesn't take you there) it looks like the 570-I is more than capable of handling the entire announced 3000 series range, as far as power delivery and cooling being adequate. Might be lacking on ports or features of the other ITX boards - and memory support still a bit tricky, though that's true of most if not all Ryzen boards - but looks to be be fundamentally sound.

Last edited:

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
Im glad he tested it with the kraken x62 seeing as how i just bought it. just gotta wait for newegg to stock it again. as well as the 3900x. now to decide on a graphics card.

Buildzoid also reviewed this board earlier than that video.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
and memory support still a bit tricky, though that's true of most if not all Ryzen boards - but looks to be be fundamentally sound.

I haven't encountered any problems nor am I reading about any (other than trying to make 64gb, 4x16gb kits run above 3200mhz)

In the X570 I :

My R5 3600 runs 2x8gb B-die kits at 3600 C14 no problem at all
My 3700x runs the same kit at 3800 C16 1:1 (1900mhz on the IF is about the limit atm, after that you are using dividers and need silly speed 4500+ kits to get the same performance as a well tuned 3600 kit running 1:1 IF)
I can run 3600 C14 in a Gigabyte B450 I (F41a bios) who's previous best "pre" Ryzen 3xxx was 2933 C12 while it housed a 2400g APU.
On Ryzen 3xxx 3600 is pretty much guaranteed, after that you are playing the lottery with how good the IMC is on the CPU you get !!!

3, 2x8gb kits of B-die tested, two sets of 3600 C16 and one set of 4000 C18
No difference between any of them

You can even pull 3600 C16 from cheap Micron E-die kits such as Ballistix Sport LT
You absolutely do not have to have B-die kits, the performance gains are minimal ;)

Last edited:

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Yeah, just got the alert from Newegg that the Gigabyte X570-I is back in stock and just went ahead and pulled the trigger on it. Looks like a nice sturdy, high quality board and my only misgivings with it (somewhat lacking in USB ports, maybe questionable audio compared to Asus, lack of fan headers) can be fixed or overlooked considering Asus's X570 launch date/price is a complete mystery at this point.

Should be a fine board for my 3700x/2080 Ti.

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
An August release is still pretty late considering there is only 3 x570 board. Asus has been really bad about releasing their products.
They have really fallen short and it might end up leading to sharp price cuts to counteract overstock if they don’t watch it. I wonder if their fan setup required some last minute tweaking to the design due to turbulence or longevity, two areas others here have brought up as questionable.

Rmorrison

Cable-Tie Ninja
May 30, 2019
does anyone with the gigabyte x570 I motherboard know if the rear m.2 slot is deep enough for the heatsink on the gigabyte nvme storage or do you have to take off the copper heatsink?

Reactions: iso982

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
does anyone with the gigabyte x570 I motherboard know if the rear m.2 slot is deep enough for the heatsink on the gigabyte nvme storage or do you have to take off the copper heatsink?
I'd gather that depends on your case/its cutout, not the board. AFAIK all m.2 slots are spaced the same off the motherboard for clearance/standardization (except for double-stacked ones). IIRC the ATX standard stipulates 9mm from the rear of the motherboard PCB to the motherboard tray. You lose at least a couple of mm from the spacing between the board and the SSD, then the thickness of the SSD comes into play, and I'd be surprised if there was more than 1-2mm left between a bare/heatsinkless rear m.2 and a standard motherboard tray. The part of the SSD on the back of my X370GTN that is outside of the cutout just barely clears the motherboard tray - and that's completely bare.

SoulTribunal

Caliper Novice
May 19, 2019
@Rmorrison Like Valantar says it depends if your case has a sizeable CPU cutout. However Gigabyte had a bit of foresight and includes a nice thermal pad for NVME drives on the back to use your case itself as a heatsink.