News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@3lfk1ng When you put it like that, I hope that's the future. I was looking at going with Intel briefly when that LGA-3647 board was annouced, but their recent security blunder (the 4th or 5th?) today has just put me off them completely.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Yea, but their most recent blunder brought to light 4 separate issues on top of those previously disclosed -now ZombieLoad, Fallout, RIDL, and Store-to-Leak Forwarding.

These issues are hardware level too so it impacts all Intel processors (server and desktop) since 2011. Intel says that it's non issue with 8th/9th gen but I cannot help but wonder what impact these publicized flaws are having/will have on their already declining marketshare. I saw that the recommended fix was to disable hyperthreading so hopefully the inevitable firmware update that resolves it(for 1st-7th gen) won't cause too much of a performance hit. That would be dreadful.

Back to the topic at hand, if buying into AM4 finally gives us a path to upgrade all the way to AMD's HEDT R9-series processors, with nothing higher and not having to replace AM4 with TR4, the appeal of that already appealing platform just got a little better. I won't be surprised if AMD goes either direction but I also wouldn't be surprised if AM4's replacement socket (2021?) doesn't see a Threadripper-series as a result.

Anyway, if I can sqeeze any more information out of @ASRock System regarding their X570 ITX platform, I will be sure to share it.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@3lfk1ng That sounds great. Despite what was previously discussed, if you can ask Asrock (Even if it's from Asrock Rack) about a 4 DIMM ITX Ryzen board I would greatly apperiate that. I plan on running some motion graphic software at some point that may require around 64GB Ram (hence me looking at Intel) and I would rather keep it ITX.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The R9, in a much smaller package, with support for up to 16-cores and 40 PCIe 4.0 lanes
I don't think all 40 of those lanes are CPU powered, however. One of the big advantages of TR4 was the PCIe lanes you get without getting bottlenecked at the chipset. Unless there is some sort of AM4+ socket that includes more PCIe lanes, there will always be a place for TR4/HEDT for high-IO needs.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I would like to think so too. I am all for a TR4-ITX board myself.

However, there are rumors swirling that the TR4 platform may be killed off altogether with the release of their new R9-series processors. Recently, AMD removed TR processors from their roadmap for this year but I guess it's always possible that it's been pushed back to 2020. Also, the gentleman that was head of the Threadripper division is no longer with AMD so it's anyone's guess if that position has been filled or axed. Either way, without a shred of TR news, that leaves the TR4 platform with a questionable future.

The R9, in a much smaller package, with support for up to 16-cores and 40 PCIe 4.0 lanes is likely more affordable for all partners to support as well. This means that board partners won't have to invest resources to support two independent processor platforms under AMD ...AND, it also provides a stellar upgrade path for Zen2/Zen2+(2019/2020, AM4) owners. If AMD decides to take this route, with a small hit from their TR4 audience, this would help to deliver a tremendous blow to Intel's highly-segregated processor lineup.

If this is true, then AMD really needs bump up the RAM support to quad-channel (and support high-speed low-latency 32GB & 64GB sticks of RAM) & then ASRock can give us an AMD version of the Little Monster...!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Back to the topic at hand, if buying into AM4 finally gives us a path to upgrade all the way to AMD's HEDT R9-series processors, with nothing higher and not having to replace AM4 with TR4, the appeal of that already appealing platform just got a little better. I won't be surprised if AMD goes either direction but I also wouldn't be surprised if AM4's replacement socket (2021?) doesn't see a Threadripper-series as a result.

Anyway, if I can sqeeze any more information out of @ASRock System regarding their X570 ITX platform, I will be sure to share it.

I believe AMD said the AM4 socket was solid to 2020, not thru 2020...

So maybe sometime in 2020 we get an AM4+ / AM5 socket that supports quad-channel memory & can reliably feed HCC CPUs...?

And who knows, maybe AMD opens up more direct-to-CPU PCIe lanes with Ryzen 3000-series CPUs on the AM4+ / AM5 socket...?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
The R9, in a much smaller package, with support for up to 16-cores and 40 PCIe 4.0 lanes is likely more affordable for all partners to support as well.
would it do 40 lanes with just the current number of pins on the AM4 socket? o_o

also that sounds bad for my decision making ,_, i definitely don't want to panic-buy an entire system for under $2k

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
would it do 40 lanes with just the current number of pins on the AM4 socket? o_o

also that sounds bad for my decision making ,_, i definitely don't want to panic-buy an entire system for under $2k
AM4 is not wired for more than 24 lanes, afaik. 20 for general use, 4 for the chipset (which acts as a hub/switch for more lanes).

At any rate, AMD's CEO already confirmed EPYC and Zen 2 are Q3 launches. With the NUMA issue being resolved with a common I/O hub, and chiplets basically zapping the scaling issues that brought about TR4 in the first place, it does seem like TR4 is going to be even more niche. What a shame, too, since the EPYC layout basically resolves most of the Threadripper problems.

Reactions: VegetableStu

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
At any rate, AMD's CEO already confirmed EPYC and Zen 2 are Q3 launches. With the NUMA issue being resolved with a common I/O hub, and chiplets basically zapping the scaling issues that brought about TR4 in the first place, it does seem like TR4 is going to be even more niche. What a shame, too, since the EPYC layout basically resolves most of the Threadripper problems.
AMD has another significant presence at Hot Chips this year. maybe the multidie EPYCs will be detailed by then. no word on an august/september date yet though ,_,

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
oh pleh forgot hot chips was in august ,_, dammit there's so many events in june i thought hot chips was one of them

was thinking of their threadripper events though

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

gffermari

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 7, 2017

The ROG Strix is an ITX board while the Impact is a DTX!
I wonder whether it fits in a NZXT H200.

Reactions: Elerek and Phuncz

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
The ROG Strix is an ITX board while the Impact is a DTX!
I wonder whether it fits in a NZXT H200.

The Impact board will fit in any case that already supports 2 slot gfx cards !!!
That riser board though for the NVME drives is another thing entirely.........

Reactions: gffermari

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So we are still looking for ITX (DTX) offerings from ASRock, Biostar (not really), & MSI...

The ASRock Phantom Gaming ITX that you can see in the "Inception" splash graphic might be nice, but how about a DTX X570 Little Monster, something to challenge the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact...?

Maybe ASRock does a DTX two slot, with the PCIe 4.0 x4 slot first, then the PCIe 1.0 x16 last... So it would have to be for any ITX chassis that supported a triple-wide PCIe slot...

So AIC for NVMe SSD in the top x4 slot & GPU in lower slot, no need for DIMM.2 riser cards for the M.2 SSDs or backside mounted M.2 SSDs or stacking a M.2 NVMe SSD on top of the chipset (which this time around is even hotter)...

That would actually be a pretty interesting Enthusiast DTX board...?

Last edited:

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
3:11 - ITX price estimate for the Aorus X570I is around $220.

6+2 phases VRM rated 70A, so better than even MSI B450I which had the best ITX VRM setup for Ryzen 2000 generation with VRM setup of 6+2 phases IR3555 (60A). For those who do have the MSI B450I, Buildzoid speculated that it would be able to cope with the eventual 16 core at stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeoa13 and Elerek