News AMD X570 ITX Motherboards

So we have 1 confirmed so far:

The Crosshair VIII Impact is the ITX variant.

I'm hoping here that Asus think Zen 2 is amazing enough to revive Enthusiast class Impact boards and not offer us neutered versions like the Strix garbage they've been peddling for the last few years!

B550 boards are "speculated" to appear around 6 months after X570.

Last edited:

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
seem that out of all enthusiast case, only Ncase is the big winner. Those heatsink and daughter boards are so tall.

Reactions: Curiosity

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
seem that out of all enthusiast case, only Ncase is the big winner. Those heatsink and daughter boards are so tall.

Yep, some of these boards are not going to work in sandwich cases / console cases.
B550 boards may not be laId out like the X570's though and "might"

X570 is derived from AMD's Enterprise solutions, it has all these beefy ramsinks and fans as obviously the 12 and 16 core SKU's will be capable of drawing a lot of amps when overclocked.
The fans in particular are there for cooling when NVME raid is used over PCI-E 4.0, it's all over the web this causes a large amount of heatdump.
The chipset power draw of 15w is on the high side for a chipset.

It's not clear yet if Asmedia or AMD are going to do the B550 chipsets and we won't see any boards for 6 months+

If all you want is an 8 core I see no reason not to use B450 / X470 boards.
12 / 16 cores in a small sandwich case with limited cooler options really wouldn't be a good idea !!

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Are those heatsinks on the ASRock X570 high enough to cause issues? Wondering if it would still fit in a Skyreach 4...

Look too tall for an S4M to me.
The Strix or Gigabyte boards look ok though for S4M use
The Strix could have heat issues though in such a confined space, it already looks problematic for low profile coolers.

Reactions: LegendsofMace

SaperPL

Master of Cramming
DR ZĄBER
Oct 17, 2017

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Seems like we have to act like detectives to find small fans hidden among the heatsinks. An inefficient X570 chipset and PCIE 4.0 seems like an unfortunate thing for this generation of motherboards. I am very sure it will mature in the future.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Ugh- is it really too much to ask for two M.2 slots on these itx boards?

What, the two M.2 slots provided by the massive riser card on the ASUS DTX Impact don't work for you...?

Kidding aside, I am pretty sure the Gigabyte board has one sandwiched in with the chipset & attending mini-fan (which cannot be good) & another on the backside of the board. The ASUS Strix board probably has two M.2 as well, the ASRock board is the only one with a single slot. The placement of the ASRock M.2 slot worries me for a few reasons. If it is the only M.2 slot I get, I would want to put a PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD in there. But it is a backside slot, so there might not be room for the heat sink that seems the norm on all the PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSDs I have seen so far.

What I would rather see is a true Enthusiast DTX board from ASRock. First slot is PCIe 4.0 x4, intended for a PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD AIC (add-in-card). Second slot is a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot for the GPU. This board would also have Thunderbolt 3 standard.

• Love
Reactions: Sashby and 1s44c

dfrgu

Trash Compacter
Mar 11, 2019
What, the two M.2 slots provided by the massive riser card on the ASUS DTX Impact don't work for you...?

Kidding aside, I am pretty sure the Gigabyte board has one sandwiched in with the chipset & attending mini-fan (which cannot be good) & another on the backside of the board. The ASUS Strix board probably has two M.2 as well, the ASRock board is the only one with a single slot. The placement of the ASRock M.2 slot worries me for a few reasons. If it is the only M.2 slot I get, I would want to put a PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD in there. But it is a backside slot, so there might not be room for the heat sink that seems the norm on all the PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSDs I have seen so far.

What I would rather see is a true Enthusiast DTX board from ASRock. First slot is PCIe 4.0 x4, intended for a PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe SSD AIC (add-in-card). Second slot is a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot for the GPU. This board would also have Thunderbolt 3 standard.
well, this won't work well with existing cases though, Asus dares to make a DTX mobo because the double slot GPUs do have spare space under the gpu. Your configuration will require the case to have 3 slots to work well

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Pity about the Asrock board only having 1 M.2. I like the look of the Asus board, but the recent Shadow Hammer hack does make me cautious about going with them. The Gigabyte board looks like a solid alternative, but I don't like the aesthetics of the board. lol.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
well, this won't work well with existing cases though, Asus dares to make a DTX mobo because the double slot GPUs do have spare space under the gpu. Your configuration will require the case to have 3 slots to work well

NCASE M1, my man...

ChinStrap

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2017
Only 1 m.2 port on the ASRock offering, and intel mounting holes? I’ll be looking elsewhere for my X570 ITX board, I guess.

/edit: A number of techtubers have been talking about most, if not all X570 boards being significantly more expensive then the X370/470 B350/450 offerings. If this is the case, ASRock doesn’t have a second M.2? Also, small number of rear USB vs. competition. I love my X370 ITX from them, but this is a letdown.

T_Tank

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 16, 2017
man all these boards are chunky. Might have to flip the fan on the heatsink so it can exhaust upward to even breath.

Reactions: rfarmer

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
This board has Socket 115x mount holes?
4:18 Intel mount for real. Honestly, I don't see this as a negative. There are far more CPU coolers made for Intel LGA 115X because of how dominant it has been in the market for the past half decade, so you will basically now have compatibility for all if not most CPU coolers, whereas there are quite a few lacking the AM4 support because who the h#ck is AMD.

Thunderbolt 3 with displayport pass through from the GPU sounds veeeeery interesting. Means you don't need an RTX card with USB-C to use USB-C monitors.

Reactions: SFF EOL and Elerek