News AMD RX 460 and RX 470 announced

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That is a very interesting 950 card. It's from a common manufacturer, though it seems Japan gets a lot of these spiffy cooler designs. Here's another product page. Different design? Added bonus: 75W TDP so it's another slot-powered card!

Btw with the 950 you'll notice a marked improvement in performance from the 750 Ti. It trades blows with the 760 in most games, not to mention it has the improved architecture.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think Pascal could bring great things for this. Imagine a 950 running at 1.6-1.8ghz on slot power and in LP form.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Great news, I wasn't aware of these low profile GTX 950 cards, hopefully they will filter across to Europe.

I recently found out about Tenso.com which lets you forward Japanese purchases to your country. I haven't used it myself yet but seems to be a good way to go for US and European residents.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'll give $50 to the site if the RX 480 can beat the GTX 980 in any AAA title.

Not looking promising. First youtube review is up:
Looks like it has beat it in two games:
Mirrors Edge Catalyst
Hitman

I'll see if some other reviews can confirm this, then i'll go get my $50 ready.

Seems several others keep commenting on "OC'd GTX 970" Here in China it's selling for the same price as the lower end GTX 970's - and they have not come down in price yet. If that's the case, will Nvidia release a 1060 sometime soon as rumored, or just drop the price on the 970 down to $250?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
In the UK the GTX 970 has dropped down to £220 which is around the same price as what it looks like the RX 480 will land at making them direct competitors.

I've seen people talking about that review you posted above on other websites, they are saying that the author is very much biased towards NVidia. Personally I don't understand why they didn't use a reference GTX 970 as a comparison rather than an EXOC version.

Still, performance doesn't look as high as some were expecting, but you have to remember there are more benefits to the RX 480 than just Price/FPS ratio. It also has HDMI 2.0b and lower power consumption (in theory), hopefully we will also see short ITX versions.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I don't necessarily think he's bias, but it did look like he did (and said he did not) not use the updated drivers. That sounds pretty reasonable.

I hope driver updates can make up for this. If the card can deliver a solid GTX 980 level of performance, then it's a good buy. Even if its slightly below but solidly above the 970. If it's having trouble keeping up with the 970 in many games, that's not a good sign.

I'll wait for a review with drivers, then i'll get my $50 ready :D

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The reviews are out for the 480 and it looks like it sits just slightly below the performance of a GTX 970, but in terms of power consumption the 480 offers much better efficiency.

The 970 and 480 8Gb are both currently priced at £220, whereas the 480 4Gb will be priced at around £180.

The 480 may not offer the leap forward in performance people were hoping for, but on the positive side AMD have managed to drive NVidia's prices down!

Reports are also suggesting that NVidia have moved their 1060 release date forward to early July:

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/gtx_1060_launch_reportedly_moved_up_to_july_7th/1

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
What prices did they drive down? The 1070 is much more expensive than the 970 was and now theyve got the nerve to charge extra for the reference version :(

i still think the only effect is to drive the 1060 to an earlier release date. Not that its a bad thing. Hopefully the 1050 will come this summer too.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Now we see why you don't jump the gun and post the first review you see (saw the same shenanigans on OCN, and then then fanboying started).

From all of the rest of the reviews I read, the RX480 seems to trade blows a bit with the GTX 970, though the latter comes out on top a slight bit more often (some games have the 480 with higher fps, a slight majority has the 970 with higher FPS, but the FPS difference isn't that large in most games). From looking up prices, the 970 is still running a bit more expensive than the 8GB 480 in the US, but again, not by a huge margin.

Power usage is better, though, the sound output is what you'd expect from a reference blower.

The takeaway for me is that if you already own a newer video card you would get little out of this card, but if you are looking to upgrade an older card and are looking for something in the $200-300 range, this is a reasonable choice, and has a narrow enough difference in price and performance, I'd take a look at the feature sets and compatibility (who has the better drivers this week ,etc.) to make a decision. If you can stand to pay just a slight bit more, though, a 980 is probably the better choice.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
In performance per dollar, the RX 480 looks to beat the 970 quite clearly. It should hopefully stay true as the AIB cards come out later, with better coolers and performance, but obviously at higher prices as well.

I'm also looking forward to see what the 1060 brings. It's gonna have to push NVidia to move more aggressively in the mid-tier of cards.

Found an interesting tidbit about the 480's power draw on [H]: Link

"With Tom's Hardware reporting that the RX 480 draws (substantailly) more than the 75W allowed from the motherboard (for example, the PCI Express high-power card spec allows a mazimum of 66W to be drawn from the 12V pins of the PCI Express slot, and the RX 480 averages 79W from the 12V lines alone) AMD seems to be violating the PCI Express(R) spec.... According to the licensing contract for the spec, if they do not fix this within 3 months, AMD will NOT be able to call the card a PCI Express card.

Last edited:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I guess in an ATX board with only a single card, this won't have a significant impact, but when used in Crossfire is this going to damage boards?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I guess in an ATX board with only a single card, this won't have a significant impact, but when used in Crossfire is this going to damage boards?

I'll be really curious as to how hard AMD pushes this configuration. They went out of their way to mention it at the announcement of the card, but haven't touted it since.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My 290X's were growling like mad, yesterday they eased off when they saw the 1440p and 2160p performance. While the card still is a very interesting product, many people did wish AMD would hit a home-run with this one, into or near the GTX 1070's territory. But considering the RX480 cards are available immediately at MSRP and the Nvidia cards are being sold, sorry, price-gouged at 520€ and 750€ for the reference cards, I"m convinced this was a good move for AMD.

I hope the RX490 isn't too far behind, to close the gap between the RX480 and the GTX 1070. Disappointingly the 2.5x increase in perf/watt isn't for the RX480 but for the RX470, I was hoping AMD would have an awesome $200 card but as I see it, it's just a good card. #firstworldproblems

Reactions: K888D

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I think it was too much to hope for anything more than parity really.
These are mid-range/budget cards dropped in at an awkward time between the transition between generations.

Of course, that's performance wise.
Marketing wise, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fairly decent boon. I haven't checked in the past couple of days, but AMD stocks were on the rise leading up to the release.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I may be going a little far calling these cards "budget", most people (by a huge marging) are not willing to pay over $250 for a GPU, that's a far cry from the $500, $750 or even $1000 GPUs that seem normal these days to have.