AMD CPU Temp Help

Artmov

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Nov 28, 2018
Please help me understand the differences, temperature wise, between 2600/2600X/2700X/3600.
I'm especially interested to know the temps difference between the 2600/3600 vs 2700X. Is there a chart somewhere?

I'm aware that the 2600/3600 have the lowest TDP at 65W, then 2600X at 95W and 2700X at 105W. I'm just not sure how this translates to real world temps.

My main concern is to keep temps low as a quite pc is my priority. For now the cpu will be going into an Ncase M1 and I'n not too worried as it has great air flow. But i will be migrating into a Ghost/NH-L12 or Velka 3/NH-L9a build and would like to keep it as silent as possible.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Please help me understand the differences, temperature wise, between 2600/2600X/2700X/3600.
I'm especially interested to know the temps difference between the 2600/3600 vs 2700X. Is there a chart somewhere?

I'm aware that the 2600/3600 have the lowest TDP at 65W, then 2600X at 95W and 2700X at 105W. I'm just not sure how this translates to real world temps.

My main concern is to keep temps low as a quite pc is my priority. For now the cpu will be going into an Ncase M1 and I'n not too worried as it has great air flow. But i will be migrating into a Ghost/NH-L12 or Velka 3/NH-L9a build and would like to keep it as silent as possible.
You're right that TDP doesn't directly translate to temperature (both due to TDP not being equal to power draw in all situations and a bunch of other reasons), but a chart like what you're asking for would be entirely specific to the circumstances in which it was tested - the cooler, the case, the ambient temperature, etc. The best you can do is read multiple reviews from the same source, as testing is normally done in a controlled environment.

As for your specific hardware, there are many factors in play. Comparisons within the 2000-series are relatively linear - a 2600X will generally run hotter than a 2600, and a 2700X will generally run hotter than a 2600X. (You might get a very well or poorly binned chip, though, which throws this off and is impossible to plan for, but even a very poorly binned 2600X will likely consume less power than a well-binned 2700X - just not by much.)

Comparisons across generations get more tricky. The move to 7nm and Zen2 chiplets means the 3000-series has significantly higher heat density (the area in which the heat is produced is smaller), which drives up temperatures even at lower power draws. The 3000-series is generally a bit hot-running. Then again, they also have an extremely advanced internal monitoring system that monitors clocks, temperatures, voltages and other variables to always keep the CPU within safe ranges - but if allowed to (PBO) it will also push itself as far as thermals, voltages and power limits will allow. 7nm of course also means lower total power draw at the same clocks, and the 3600 isn't a very fast-running chip, so it shouldn't be problematically hot by any means.

If I were you, I'd go for the 3600 no matter what - Zen2 is significantly faster than Zen+, meaning that the 3600 mostly outperforms the 2700X with 2c4t less, while consuming less power. The main argument for the 2000-series these days is their immense value (though at that point, look at the Ryzen 5 1600 AF, which is a 12nm "refresh" SKU that essentially matches the 2600 but at a much lower price - I've seen it at $85!), so if you care as much about value as absolute performance the 3600 might not be the best deal (and buying an older chip of course gives you a great upgrade path when used or new CPUs come down in price in the future).