need input on mumy ghost build

dommjuan

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Dec 31, 2018
i am closing in on my first sff build, here are the parts i have (almost) decided on:

case: ghost s1

mobo: asus x470- i gaming

cpu cooler: noctua nh-l12

cpu: 2600x or 2700x

gpu: evga 2080 ti xc or custom cooled 2080ti

ssd: 1 or 0 sata ssds, 1 or 2 m2 ssds

pslate customs cables

small or mid tophat with 15 or 25 mm noctuas

i have a couple questions:

1: is there anywhere to put an ssd in the case that will not reduce airflow? i have a ssd i'd like to reuse for this build, but i am willing to sacrifice it if it reduces the airflow and increases heat/noise from the system and just use m2 ssd(s). will a m2 on the back of the mobo reduce airflow?

2: is there any other 2080ti variant that is more quiet than the evga xc? does anyone have experience with custom cooling for the 2080ti?

3: does anyone know how much cpu temps affects gpu temps in the ghost? will using a less powerful/cooler cpu make it easier to cool the gpu? i was planning on using a 2700x but will go for a 2600x instead if that makes the system quieter. does anyone recommend other cpus that are cool/quiet while still not bottlenecking a 2080ti in 4k?

4: is there a big difference in temps/noise between the 15 and 25 mm top noctua exhaust fans/the s or m tophat? will adding a s tophat on the bottom help with cooling?

i will be using the system for portable 4k gaming. i know that it is very hard to have a system that is both powerful, small AND quiet, but i want to have the system as low noise as possible. the system has to be aircooled, i might have to have it in my hand luggage, and getting watercooled systems through airport security can be a hassle from what i have heard.

any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Questors

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 28, 2018
i am closing in on my first sff build, here are the parts i have (almost) decided on:

case: ghost s1

mobo: asus x470- i gaming

cpu cooler: noctua nh-l12

cpu: 2600x or 2700x

gpu: evga 2080 ti xc or custom cooled 2080ti

ssd: 1 or 0 sata ssds, 1 or 2 m2 ssds

pslate customs cables

small or mid tophat with 15 or 25 mm noctuas

i have a couple questions:

1: is there anywhere to put an ssd in the case that will not reduce airflow? i have a ssd i'd like to reuse for this build, but i am willing to sacrifice it if it reduces the airflow and increases heat/noise from the system and just use m2 ssd(s). will a m2 on the back of the mobo reduce airflow?

2: is there any other 2080ti variant that is more quiet than the evga xc? does anyone have experience with custom cooling for the 2080ti?

3: does anyone know how much cpu temps affects gpu temps in the ghost? will using a less powerful/cooler cpu make it easier to cool the gpu? i was planning on using a 2700x but will go for a 2600x instead if that makes the system quieter. does anyone recommend other cpus that are cool/quiet while still not bottlenecking a 2080ti in 4k?

4: is there a big difference in temps/noise between the 15 and 25 mm top noctua exhaust fans/the s or m tophat? will adding a s tophat on the bottom help with cooling?

i will be using the system for portable 4k gaming. i know that it is very hard to have a system that is both powerful, small AND quiet, but i want to have the system as low noise as possible. the system has to be aircooled, i might have to have it in my hand luggage, and getting watercooled systems through airport security can be a hassle from what i have heard.

any help would be greatly appreciated:)

RE #1 The SSD/HD tray under the PSU won't negatively affect air flow if you are going to use a tophat to mount fans. There is still an open spot next to it; to place a fan under the MB. If that is not good, using velcro to mount at a random spot in the case usually works well also.

RE #3 The design employed in this case and others sharing this design before it like Dan and the Mjolnir just put on Kickstarter offer a separation of heat creating sources and air flow from top to bottom or bottom to top, depending on how you arrange fans. It is reasonable to believe the hot hair will have little to no effect from component.

RE #4 Fans aside, some of the temperature questions will derive from conditions like ambient temperature where the system will rest, over-clocking and choice of air cooler, among others considerations. Generally speaking, thicker fans move more air than thinner fans. This was discussed many times in the past about 25mm fans versus 38mm fans. The information you seek for specific fan specs is here https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

As for which air cooler, you will have to do research to find which SFF cooler will fit your needs.