ITX motherboards in that article as well, can't say I'm a fan (pun intended) of fans being back on the chipset / SSD cover. Gen 5 SSD's run hot so I guess they have to deal with that somehow !!!

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Yes, very disappointing. No USB4, no multiple display outs (USB-C) and probably unremovable active coolers.
No further X670(E) boards in sight.
I hope there is one board where you can remove the heatsink to fit a large cooler.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
MLID talked to a bunch of retailers....7000 is at best an average sell, and at worst parts/events aren't getting many takers. He claims that one Microcenter launch event had like 2 people show up. It might be the thermal/powers that are scaring off buyers--or simply how expensive the new platform is in its entirety (CPU/RAM/board)....also that whole global price inflation thing going on has tapped out most people paying bills.

Good (?) news for everyone....allegedly theCPUs and boards released so far have enough margin built into the price that there's room for partners to still make a profit when they do a sale....which given the lackluster interest in the Zen4 platform is getting more likely to be sooner rather than later. Although it needs noted that expectations are all screwed up from the pandemic where Zen3 went on sale and all SKUs were perennially out-of-stock for many months.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Le why Asrock ? Did that fan header have to be that far from the chipset fan ?

View attachment 1991
ITX is getting mighty cramped, other than the CPU keep-out area. I'm wondering how much longer we're going to keep SATA ports around on middling/high tier gaming-focused boards when they're almost never used now. That right there is another fan header location.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I'm happy these boards exist even if they only have 1 M.2 slot. Two B650E M-ATX workstation boards from Gigabyte, look like the business.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Le why Asrock ? Did that fan header have to be that far from the chipset fan ?

View attachment 1991
I'm pretty sure that the requirement for a fan was a late change or they would have changed the PCB layout accordingly.
Or they figured most people would use a heatsink + fan for the CPU and underestimated AIO cooling being so dominant in the market.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Good lord, $600 for the X670E GENE mATX. Hopefully we have some strong B650E mATX options for those of us who want PCIE 5.0 support for both the GPU and SSD but don't won't to blow that kind of money on just a mobo.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Good lord, $600 for the X670E GENE mATX. Hopefully we have some strong B650E mATX options for those of us who want PCIE 5.0 support for both the GPU and SSD but don't won't to blow that kind of money on just a mobo.
I was watching a review on that last night, nice board but OMG that price.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018

I was watching a review on that last night, nice board but OMG that price.
This Gene is literally last gen Impact on Steroid x10, and it's meant for LN2 overclocking anyways, not SFF

Last edited:

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017

ROG Strix B650E-I Gaming WiFi looks good​

You can bet Asus will add their usual tax to this and it will be 300 dollars + (if not more), but if I was building an X3D rig this would be prime candidate from the boards I've seen so far.

Last edited:

wertzius

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 13, 2022
Also my favorite - TB4/USB4 and it seems it does not have a complete heatsink monstrosity on the M.2.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018