CPU AMD APU Raven readying for launch

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
CC Ricers, a question if I may:
You quote various power draw examples....power readout tests from a Redditor using the 2400G in different voltage configurations
Round figures, gives 75 w to 102 watt, at the wall, for which you suggest 90>120 watt power bricks will suffice.
Power bricks to power what? Pico? HDPlex? G-Unique?
I have Pico 120, 150 and 160 and a G-Unique 120 w...............along with a G-Unique 300 w limited edition, but this I will be using with my 2400G because of custom cabling anyway.
I also intend to get a 2200G as well.........both APUs will be run at stock.............and you reckon a 120w will be more than enough for a stock 2200G?
If so , great, I anticipated more power needed for a good overhead...........because I work it out this way.
APU 65w
MB 10w
M.2
10w
HSDD 10w
ssd
5-7w
USB device 10w
extra fan 5w

That`s 117 watt so far......without 16GB DDR4 included..........see where I am going with this?

Using outervision, ( I chose the A8-7600 for CPU seeing as Ravenridge is not on there yet and power draw is close enough to use as a substitute)
https://outervision.com/b/aH5o0M
No doubt the PCpartpicker tool will find much the same..............I generally use these to assess a potential builds power requirements.........

Can you use proper punctuation and formatting? Or are you currently being passive aggressive with us?

I would run a 160W for 2400G or 120W for 2200G or undervolted 2400G, but you can likely get away with 120W for both. If it measures 100W at the wall the system is consuming 92W most likely.

You are adding double the watts for the devices. The motherboard itself doesn't consume much, rather the attached devices. Fans and SSD don't consume that much.

Last edited:

alexep7

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 30, 2017
Those calculators tend to always be on the safe side. That's not really a bad thing to do but in reality you can get away with much less than what they recommend.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nah.
A stream of consciousness thing.
I do apologise and accept the scolding.

I saw you got an answer, but I just want to add, any of the plug-in PSUs you have work well. Heck even the Pico 120W will work with an OC chip and they can handle peak wattage higher than 120W. Those Picos can take a lot of punishment.

I tend go with the power readouts at the wall. It takes into account the loss of efficiency of the power supply from converting AC to DC.

Edit: Apparently the bootkits are old Bristol Ridge APUs with coolers. And they want you to return the old APUs once you're done flashing with them, but interestingly you can keep the cooler. I guess they have a crapload more old coolers than they have a need for.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Dang, Anandtech got to it first :p Unfortunately I couldn't claim a Boot Kit with my review sample Ryzen 5 2400G :( (not that it matters as I have a Ryzen 5 1600X and a Bristol Ridge APU to hand already!)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've read rumours that booting a non-flashed board with a Raven Ridge processor, and a discrete GPU would enable the system to boot enough to flash. Have tested this, it does not work.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
After looking further into this, I may end up going with this for a new machine:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($146.88 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12S 55.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.69 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($149.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($142.38 @ Vuugo)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($79.08 @ Memory Express)
Total: $602.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-17 15:47 EST-0500

This is all in CAD. For just under $700 CAD, I can get the Ryzen 5 2400G instead which will be better although I am not convinced of it being $90 CAD better.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
7% performance increase using dual channel dual rank ram over dual channel single rank....Found on Reddit AMD section.
First proven way back with A10-7850k APU.
7% increase in 2400G FPS puts it significantly closer to RX550 performance.
Found out mine is Dual rank
4th one down.currently clocked at 2933 1.2v 16.16.16.35

I have the 1st one on the list, only 2x4GB instead of 2x8. Bought this Ballistix ram for only $90, should overclock to at least 3000 with current bios for my Gigabyte board.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
After looking further into this, I may end up going with this for a new machine:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($146.88 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L12S 55.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.69 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($149.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($142.38 @ Vuugo)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX6000 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($79.08 @ Memory Express)
Total: $602.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-17 15:47 EST-0500

This is all in CAD. For just under $700 CAD, I can get the Ryzen 5 2400G instead which will be better although I am not convinced of it being $90 CAD better.

I would reconsider:
The 2200G is a 65w TDP APU, and although unlocked will only overclock in a very limited fashion. The performance of the Ravenridge series seem to benefit most from higher RAM speeds, 3200 being optimal, anything over this bringing little if any further advantage.
Which leads me to 2 points:
Brand loyalty aside, the Gigabyte GA-AB350n-Gaming WIFI is a decent board which lends itself to overclocking due to the robust VRMs, but this is not a feature that you can really make any use of with an APU that is not really made for overclocking.
I think a more modestly specced ( so cheaper) MB would be equal to the task.
Secondly,
The Noctua cooler you quote is not low profile at 70mm which I thought would be important for an ITX build, although this of course depends what size case you prefer to build in...The supplied Wraith cooler is lower profile, has been found to be a very quiet and capable cooler and is a 95 watt TDP unit, (with the Ravenridge APUs being 65 watt TDP units,) and also comes in the box with the 2200Gand 2400G. Surely this has to be at least worth a try at zero cost before committing funds to a 3rd party cooler?
Actually There are 3 points ! the third being, with money saved by changing specs on the MB and cooler, funds are released to get higher speed ram which has far more bearing on the performance than any other factor.
Of course you may have reasons for specifying the above that I am not aware of, I am just adjusting the parts listing to how I would prioritise the build list.
and dont forget to ensure the board has BIOS for Ravenridge before you begin!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I would reconsider:
The 2200G is a 65w TDP APU, and although unlocked will only overclock in a very limited fashion. The performance of the Ravenridge series seem to benefit most from higher RAM speeds, 3200 being optimal, anything over this bringing little if any further advantage.
I agree with this: overclocking Ryzen was already limited, the Raven Ridge APUs seem even more limited in this regard. Just forget about overclocking and consider switching priorities with saving some money on a few components and spending it on the Ryzen 2400G, if the perforrmance of the 2200G isn't enough.

Also the memory: the APUs are pretty much memory-speed limited, so going from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-3200 will net you a lot of graphical performance along with a little computational.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
is it worth to buy a aftermarket cooler for this chips? they don't seem to run that hot. that 90 extra cad of the cooler could go to the 2400g instead

Reactions: Soul_Est

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
I have the 1st one on the list, only 2x4GB instead of 2x8. Bought this Ballistix ram for only $90, should overclock to at least 3000 with current bios for my Gigabyte board.

I think the actual DIMM sticks are the same just different heat sinks.Oh, and I got mine from Amazon for £65 the pair...March 17.
I had no use for them at the time but knew they would come in handy someday!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I would reconsider:
Which leads me to 2 points:
Brand loyalty aside, the Gigabyte GA-AB350n-Gaming WIFI is a decent board which lends itself to overclocking due to the robust VRMs, but this is not a feature that you can really make any use of with an APU that is not really made for overclocking.
I think a more modestly specced ( so cheaper) MB would be equal to the task.
Secondly,
The Noctua cooler you quote is not low profile at 70mm which I thought would be important for an ITX build, although this of course depends what size case you prefer to build in...The supplied Wraith cooler is lower profile, has been found to be a very quiet and capable cooler and is a 95 watt TDP unit, (with the Ravenridge APUs being 65 watt TDP units,) and also comes in the box with the 2200G and 2400G. Surely this has to be at least worth a try at zero cost before committing funds to a 3rd party cooler?
Actually There are 3 points ! the third being, with money saved by changing specs on the MB and cooler, funds are released to get higher speed ram which has far more bearing on the performance than any other factor.
Of course you may have reasons for specifying the above that I am not aware of, I am just adjusting the parts listing to how I would prioritise the build list.
and dont forget to ensure the board has BIOS for Ravenridge before you begin!
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll respond to your points in turn.
  1. There are no cheaper boards that I have seen. The ASRock which I would have preferred for the UEFI is more expensive.
  2. I do intend to overclock the APU though. It can go up to 4.0GHz on the CPU side and 1.7GHz on the GPU side. The Wraith cooler that these get are the Wraith Stealth cooler and not a full size Wraith cooler, unfortunately. I'll see how far I get with the Wraith Stealth and order a NH-L12S if needed. The main reason for me considering that cooler is @K888D 's excellent HT5.
  3. The RAM I'm getting may be able to reach 3200MHZ 15-17-17-28 @ 1.28V according to this post.
I do intend to get the board in store or ask the seller to update the UEFI before getting it.

I agree with this: overclocking Ryzen was already limited, the Raven Ridge APUs seem even more limited in this regard. Just forget about overclocking and consider switching priorities with saving some money on a few components and spending it on the Ryzen 2400G, if the perforrmance of the 2200G isn't enough.

Also the memory: the APUs are pretty much memory-speed limited, so going from DDR4-2133 to DDR4-3200 will net you a lot of graphical performance along with a little computational.
Thank you for the suggestion. I do agree that Ryzen has a rather low ceiling but I intend to overclock the Ryzen and VEGA parts. I will look at getting the 2400G instead of the cooler. As for overclocking, I have seen in the Hardware Unboxed overclocking videos that it does fare rather well with overclocking and good cooling.

is it worth to buy a aftermarket cooler for this chips? they don't seem to run that hot. that 90 extra cad of the cooler could go to the 2400g instead
It may be. I have seen a number of YouTube videos that show that a better cooler then the Wraith Stealth that these chips come with do allow them to overclock further.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll respond to your points in turn.
  1. There are no cheaper boards that I have seen. The ASRock which I would have preferred for the UEFI is more expensive.
  2. I do intend to overclock the APU though. It can go up to 4.0GHz on the CPU side and 1.7GHz on the GPU side. The Wraith cooler that these get are the Wraith Stealth cooler and not a full size Wraith cooler, unfortunately. I'll see how far I get with the Wraith Stealth and order a NH-L12S if needed. The main reason for me considering that cooler is @K888D 's excellent HT5.
  3. The RAM I'm getting may be able to reach 3200MHZ 15-17-17-28 @ 1.28V according to this post.
I do intend to get the board in store or ask the seller to update the UEFI before getting it.

Thank you for the suggestion. I do agree that Ryzen has a rather low ceiling but I intend to overclock the Ryzen and VEGA parts. I will look at getting the 2400G instead of the cooler. As for overclocking, I have seen in the Hardware Unboxed overclocking videos that it does fare rather well with overclocking and good cooling.

It may be. I have seen a number of YouTube videos that show that a better cooler then the Wraith Stealth that these chips come with do allow them to overclock further.

Oh, I see. Let us know how it goes :)

Reactions: Soul_Est and stree

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks for the response Soul_Est... yes, the 2400 already boosts to 3.9, plus it has multi-threading and 2200 does not. So a better option for you

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Oh, I see. Let us know how it goes :)
I most certainly will. Just going to plan out the power supply for it and see what I get.

Thanks for the response Soul_Est... yes, the 2400 already boosts to 3.9, plus it has multi-threading and 2200 does not. So a better option for you
You're welcome, stree. Yeah it is a better much option; I was just being cheap. XD

With various suggestions taken into to consideration, I have decided on this for my eventual build. This is barring any unforeseen expenses.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($237.28 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($157.05 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $615.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-18 21:59 EST-0500

As for power? Either a HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX, a Dynamo Mini, or a G-Unique along with an external PSU or a HDPLEX 160W AC-DC. I'll have to research them and sort it out.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I most certainly will. Just going to plan out the power supply for it and see what I get.

As for power? Either a HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX, a Dynamo Mini, or a G-Unique along with an external PSU or a HDPLEX 160W AC-DC. I'll have to research them and sort it out.

Don't forget the good old Pico PSU. 160W version is popular but even the 120W version should do for an APU build.