CPU AMD APU Raven readying for launch

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hmm indeed too good to be true. After all, there is a big possibility that an RX 570 level APU will canibalize the RX 560 / 570.

I'd love to be proven wrong tho.

cleveland

Master of Cramming
Sep 8, 2016
IF (and that's a pretty big if) HBM2 is as good as it seems, i'm inclined to trust on AMD promisses...

but one thing is for sure: it'll be HOT. HBM2, graphics cores, logical cores, all in just one die!

Reactions: stree

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
IF (and that's a pretty big if) HBM2 is as good as it seems, i'm inclined to trust on AMD promisses...

but one thing is for sure: it'll be HOT. HBM2, graphics cores, logical cores, all in just one die!
All in one package, that is. If the Xbox One X can manage to cram in so much in one APU, this should be a piece of cake in comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: cleveland and stree

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Under volted , down clocked RX 570 performance maybe... ;) Still interested in what the new APU can do for sure.

This. I'm excited for the APU, but this thing is likely going to be much slower than both the Xbox One X and the RX570 in terms of overall performance.

Just to throw out some numbers:

https://infogram.com/amd-apu-1h706e0jnoo725y

Based on the 700mhz clock it should be around RX560 performance, about 1/3 the RX580 or XboxOneX, but around double an A12 9800. This is just for pure compute power and not considering memory bandwidth. If it has HBM2 that'll be awesome and give it frame rates in gaming about on par with the RX560.

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Where are they getting that there will be a 28 CU APU from, though? If you look at a die shot of Raven ridge, you can actually see the single CCX and 11 CUs which lines up with previous information we've gotten. if they more than double the count, where, exactly, do they plan on putting them, and where is the HBM going to go?

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
I hope all that is mentioned in that article is somewhat true, even if we only get RX560 levels of performance. Would be great for a tiny lanbox build.

Edit: @BirdofPrey It's mentioned in this article which was linked in the PCGamesN article.

Last edited:

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
This is where eGPU dies. I have been wrecking my brain to come up with a good solution for a portable and affordable eGPU but seriously at the cost and size of the current solutions... this machine will be just better for that plain and simple. http://www.mini-itx.com/~M100-60W and ... oh god if it ends up in a Thin ITX board... or an NUC even.

If the no royalty Thunderbolt 3 catches up with AMD then we could TB network this with our TB laptop @ 10 Gigabit and remote control it. Or something :)

Last edited:

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
This is where eGPU dies. I have been wrecking my brain to come up with a good solution for a portable and affordable eGPU but seriously at the cost and size of the current solutions... this machine will be just better for that plain and simple. http://www.mini-itx.com/~M100-60W and ... oh god if it ends up in a Thin ITX board... or an NUC even.

If the no royalty Thunderbolt 3 catches up with AMD then we could TB network this with our TB laptop @ 10 Gigabit and remote control it. Or something :)

I don't think eGPU and portable will ever be synonymous anyway it's just not feasible or practical. I have mine setup essentially as a docking station for my laptop - more ports and GPU horsepower when I'm home, unplug a single plug and I'm mobile again.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I don't think eGPU and portable will ever be synonymous anyway it's just not feasible or practical.

It surely is feasible and practical: Acer Graphics Dock, the 1050 based Lenovo made dock Microsoft teased at IFA, the first had a limited launch, the second is vaporware. But hopefully in due time.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
This. I'm excited for the APU, but this thing is likely going to be much slower than both the Xbox One X and the RX570 in terms of overall performance.

Just to throw out some numbers:

https://infogram.com/amd-apu-1h706e0jnoo725y

Based on the 700mhz clock it should be around RX560 performance, about 1/3 the RX580 or XboxOneX, but around double an A12 9800. This is just for pure compute power and not considering memory bandwidth. If it has HBM2 that'll be awesome and give it frame rates in gaming about on par with the RX560.

That would fall in line with the rumors that stated it easily exceeded the PS4 in total compute power and, remarkably enough, at far lower power draw. To set the perspective, the first generation PS4's custom APU, which features a modified HD 7870 GPU and 8 Jaguar CPU cores, shows a peak power draw of 151 W and requires a 250 W power supply, has theoretical compute performance of 1843.2 GFLOPS. According to the latest leaks, if the performance scales to RX 560 levels given the clocks and GPU cores, we will be looking at roughly 2600 GFLOPS down at only a 65 W TDP. Impressive... most impressive.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
It surely is feasible and practical: Acer Graphics Dock, the 1050 based Lenovo made dock Microsoft teased at IFA, the first had a limited launch, the second is vaporware. But hopefully in due time.

Portability is feasible but absolutely not practical or sensible financially for nearly everyone. The only worthwhile type of eGPU is one that uses standard cards and can be upgraded by the user but that has the compromise of being far less portable. It's a novel idea to have a compact eGPU but for the price you'll pay and no upgrade path you'd be better off buying a laptop with the same tier of dGPU and trading up every year.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
It's a novel idea to have a compact eGPU but for the price you'll pay and no upgrade path you'd be better off buying a laptop with the same tier of dGPU and trading up every year.

The only laptop I was willing to buy since 2012 is the ThinkPad 25 and I bought it. I do not expect another one for five years -- worst case, ever.

In other words, I am not buying a keyboard or a laptop if it doesn't have dedicated Home-End-PgUp-Pgdn keys in a square. Compare https://razer-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/eeimages/products/24223/razer-blade-layout.png to https://www.computershopper.com/var...anniversary-edition-keyboard-and-touchpad.jpg -- the former can't even do a proper T shape arrow cluster. Unusable garbage for me.

So, other solutions are necessary to facilitate gaming.

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
The only laptop I was willing to buy since 2012 is the ThinkPad 25 and I bought it. I do not expect another one for five years -- worst case, ever.

In other words, I am not buying a keyboard or a laptop if it doesn't have dedicated Home-End-PgUp-Pgdn keys in a square. Compare https://razer-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/eeimages/products/24223/razer-blade-layout.png to https://www.computershopper.com/var...anniversary-edition-keyboard-and-touchpad.jpg -- the former can't even do a proper T shape arrow cluster. Unusable garbage for me.

So, other solutions are necessary to facilitate gaming.

I'm talking about what makes sense financially and wasn't referring to you specifically, your situation is clearly unique.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
In other words, I am not buying a keyboard or a laptop if it doesn't have dedicated Home-End-PgUp-Pgdn keys

I'm so glad reading this.. I thought I was the only one :)

As someone who type a lot, having those Home-End-PgUp-PgDn button is a life saver.

It pisses me off that most small to medium sized laptops today no longer have those as dedicated buttons.