Concept Aluminium frame 5L

TinyHH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Hi, i build this small box for my mini-itx yesterday. I travel a lot by car and used to have my PC in a bag resulting in SATA ports getting ripped out of the motherboard. I just upgraded to mini-itx Ryzen and wanted to make a more stable, small and portable solution.

Ryzen 1700
Nuctua NH L9i cooled with AM4 bracket kit
Gigabyte AB350n
32Gb Vengance ram
Radeon Nano
Corsair SF450
Rubber handle, USB3 extender and bits from ebay ;)

Measurements are 180mm x 130mm x 210 mm.

I never worked with aluminium or any other kinds of metal before, but it was a fun holiday project. I'm posting here for input and inspiration. I installed a Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 on the Nano so now the pc is silent under desktop workloads and pretty quiet while gaming.

Last edited:

Megaden44

Average Stuffer
May 25, 2017
Measurements are 18mm x 13mm x 21 mm.
Congratulations you have successful made the smallest case ever, we can just close this forum now! (im assuming you meant cm). In all seriousness looks really sleek, how did you source the aluminum? Also are you planning on covering it all with steel mesh or something similar?

Reactions: Jonny727272

TinyHH

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 6, 2017
Congratulations you have successful made the smallest case ever, we can just close this forum now! (im assuming you meant cm).
Oh yeah, the measurements where a tiny bit optimistic ;)

Congratulations you have successful made the smallest case ever, we can just close this forum now! (im assuming you meant cm). In all seriousness looks really sleek, how did you source the aluminum?

I bought the aluminium angle bar at a local hardwave store for about $7, so to whole project was under $15. I'm pretty much done with it, and waiting for my DAN case to arrive at X-mas for a completely different build.

SFINGEMORTA

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Aug 22, 2017
Nice work, simple and clean, I was thinking of making such a case, but I'm still waiting for my gigabyte 1070 itx, so it's useless until I have the card, and I can not get the exact measurements.

Can you take photos even on the back of the shield panel?

Thanks and still nice work

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I've been thinking about making this kind of frame and then just cutting my own acrylic for the sides to make a ghetto LZ7. I have never even cut metal, let alone bent it and riveted parts together and somehow attached standoffs. Do you have any advice you can give? And can you give a picture of the back I/O ports?