Stalled Alpha Cases - T7 SFX - Sub 5L

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Here's the same layout; it will fill a flex psu and the gigabyte cards just like the old version. The only difference is that it will require a c14 cable. I prefere this design better because it has better gpu compatibility and more room for the gpu to exhaust.

Brilliant

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
This one is also nice looking, how about the top fans? In this layout, are they going to be pushing air into the case? Otherwise they would interfere with the psu fan?

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
This one is also nice looking, how about the top fans? In this layout, are they going to be pushing air into the case? Otherwise they would interfere with the psu fan?

They are still outputting from the top, which is why the psu is faced downwards so that the fan intakes from the bottom

Reactions: Jello

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Going nicely.. where are the 2.5" drives going to be btw?

I plan for it to be under the motherboard like this since there really isn't anywhere else on the case to put it. It shouldn't impact the bottom ventilation too much since it's passive and most of the case's air intake is from the sides. (Red is the 2.5" drive/SDD)

I have also updated the project renders on the 1st comment with the new design.

Reactions: Biowarejak

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Another quick update: Added compatibility for another slim fan on the bottom which can be substituted for an SSD. This will both slightly improve the temps of gpu and the cpu but will require you to use an M.2 Drive unless I figure out somewhere else to put an ssd mount.

Reactions: KSliger

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
What about moving that bottom fan to the front of the case a bit, and adding an SSD mount where the top front fan is? Would allow for airflow across all components in the case, but I'm not sure how effective of a cooling solution that would be.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
What about moving that bottom fan to the front of the case a bit, and adding an SSD mount where the top front fan is? Would allow for airflow across all components in the case, but I'm not sure how effective of a cooling solution that would be.

I think it would be better to add drives mount somewhere in front. Ideally, drives should be separated away from GPU & CPU heat.

Awesomely drawn diagrams below, based on OP.s latest render. Looking at the case from the GPU side. "|" are dividers.

Back <---> Front
GPU | PSU | drives​

GPU to PSU divider can be made from acrylic plate, hell even a thin film of plastic. Enough to block the heat away.

The drives can then be attached to the same divider holding the PSU (this one needs to be sturdier then, like metal), or to the case's front cover.

However, not sure if it's still gonna be < 5L, and not sure how that translates into production cost / complexity.

My 2c.

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I think it would be better to add drives mount somewhere in front. Ideally, drives should be separated away from GPU & CPU heat.

Awesomely drawn diagrams below, based on OP.s latest render. Looking at the case from the GPU side. "|" are dividers.

Back <---> Front
GPU | PSU | drives​

GPU to PSU divider can be made from acrylic plate, hell even a thin film of plastic. Enough to block the heat away.

The drives can then be attached to the same divider holding the PSU (this one needs to be sturdier then, like metal), or to the case's front cover.

However, not sure if it's still gonna be < 5L, and not sure how that translates into production cost / complexity.

My 2c.
Thank you for your input :)
So what you're saying is something like this?
As for the divider it could be a possible addon for those using a Flex PSU. My only concern with this however is that many Flex PSUs have vents on the top of them so putting a divider or cover would increase temps. This could result in the small psu fan running at higher rpm which can be quite loud. Even if I were to add holes there, it would defeat the purpose of using the cover in the first place.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thank you for your input :)
So what you're saying is something like this?

More or less like that.

However, you're right about that FlexATX PSU exhaust. What about giving a small distance between PSU and divider, say 10 mm? Then have both top fans blowing out as exhaust. This way, CPU, GPU & PSU heat can be nicely blown out from the top.

Do note that these are hypothetical, and would need further testing. And hopefully these can stay within your 5L boundary :)

Edit: Perhaps try to get more build info / case studies on temperature from those Taobao cases with similar design?

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
So after this new design I'm happy with the outcome but I'm considering using 1.5mm aluminum instead of 2. The reason for this is so that the case is lighter, I can place holes closer to the bends, cheaper cost, and with this new design it should be stronger even with a thinner metal.
what do you think?

Last edited:

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Looks great. Is it still under 5L? Did you drop the bottom fan mount?
Yes it is still under 5L and has a bottom mounted fan too. I instead made the main compartment of the case slightly shorter to accommodate for the size and also make room for the front SSD.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
If the measurements on the 1st page still applies, then it should be still at 4.7L.

And based on that 4.7L.. I might be wrong here, but I think, going slightly higher at 4.99L allows you put one more 7mm drive, as well as slim IO ports like these:

https://m.dhgate.com/product/usb3-0-front-panel-usb2-0-cable-20pin-connected/214426855.html#pd-104

Or

https://www.logicsupply.com/cbu102/ (seems like cable needs to be modified a bit).
Sorry, I just fixed the measurements from the previous design. I was considering adding a usb header but I have to see what the community thinks of it; thanks. The size currently is around 4.95L not accounting for the volume of the sheet metal within the interior of the case.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Sorry, I just fixed the measurements from the previous design. I was considering adding a usb header but I have to see what the community thinks of it; thanks. The size currently is around 4.95L not accounting for the volume of the sheet metal within the interior of the case.

Oops :p

Btw that 4.95L is outer dimension, right?