Stalled Alpha Cases - T7 SFX - Sub 5L

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
The intended material is 1.5mm aluminum, and I have created another variation of the ventilation design.
As long as there is enough interest in this project, I will be doing a small production run and I hope to create the prototype in the next month or two. When it comes to the price, it's too early to determine but I plan to go with a higher quality manufacturer.

If this does become the design then a mesh will definitely be included as quite a bit of dust can enter the case without one.
I will tell you from experience with the cmod cases. If you're wanting to do a 1.5mm thick material steel would be the way to go. The custommod cases are 1.5mm alu and they feel ultra malleable. If you're wanting to stick with alu go 2mm. I know it'd cost more but the price would be worth it for a case that doesn't feel like it will fall apart

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I also mention the steel thing because people love a chassis that will last indefinitely.
I'm not sure if I should go with steel or aluminum for the case because each material has a pro and a con, so It would be helpful if everyone could fill out this straw poll. Another factor is shipping costs, since steel is cheaper but will cost more to ship since it's heavier.

https://strawpoll.com/wa3w5ybw

Reactions: Biowarejak

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Magnetic dust filters with steel ;) and longetivity. I think steel would def be the better option. I mean 2mm alu is nice but still take better chance on stripping threads. Plus it's softer easier to ding up etc. And with cases this small a lot of people pack em up and take em around

Edit : I just don't feel the integrity of the vents will hold up with alu. They're long thin runs with nothing to support them. I like the design. I just feel like it will crumble as alu.

Last edited:

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Suggestion to add adapter plates / brackets for:
- C14 connector used in HDPlex Nano ATX solution (https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-300w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html)
- Meanwell open PSUs

Little thing goes long way :thumb:
Thanks for the suggestion, I know many people use the hdplex and they don't offer a flex psu mounting bracket

Magnetic dust filters with steel ;) and longetivity. I think steel would def be the better option. I mean 2mm alu is nice but still take better chance on stripping threads. Plus it's softer easier to ding up etc. And with cases this small a lot of people pack em up and take em around

Edit : I just don't feel the integrity of the vents will hold up with alu. They're long thin runs with nothing to support them. I like the design. I just feel like it will crumble as alu.

I do really like the idea of having a strong build and magnetic filters but quite a few people choose sff for portability so aluminum is ideal. I may end up getting a few different side panel designs when I create the first prototype to test structural durability and temps.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Also. You might want to add Flanges for the side panels to sit on on both the front and rear of the chassis. Otherwise you'll have cave in those places. The top and bottom aren't going to be enough. Especially with the length to width ratio of the panels.

Reactions: ignsvn

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
That was an issue I noticed with the modmini in the rear of the chassis the panel just caved because it had nothing to sit on so it could just be pressed inwards I'd also modify the flanges you have for the top side panel screws to have one flange that extends the case. Small tabs like that will be bent easily and be very not structurally sound

Reactions: ignsvn

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Also. You might want to add Flanges for the side panels to sit on on both the front and rear of the chassis. Otherwise you'll have cave in those places. The top and bottom aren't going to be enough. Especially with the length to width ratio of the panels.

Thanks for the input, I've fixed the top flange but wasn't able to add flanges to the sides because they would be too close to the cutouts. They are still able to rest on the side of the chassis however.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
Thanks for the input, I've fixed the top flange but wasn't able to add flanges to the sides because they would be too close to the cutouts. They are still able to rest on the side of the chassis however.
That should help tremendously and so as long as the panels fit right it should be fine. I only said something because of tolerences. So as long as the shops tolerences are set good then there shouldnt be any issues

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Forgot to say this; to fully support HDPLEX internal AC-DC units, you might want to ensure that it can fit the units and the C14 connector they use.

Dimension reference from their website WITHOUT the C14 connector:
- 160 watt: 150(D) x 52 (W) x 40 (H) mm (URL)
- 300 watt: 151.4(D) x 62 (W) x 41 (H) mm (URL)

I'm not sure how long that C14 connector is. Might want to have a look.

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
Here's another layout I made which I'm not too sure I with go with. It's actually slightly smaller than the current design and can accommodate the 1080ti mini which would outperform any of the compatible gpus from the other design. It still will fit the oversized Gigabyte cards and 2 92mm case fans. The only trade-off of this design is that it requires a dc-atx power supply such as the hdplex.

The white box shown in the image is representative of the 1080 mini

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I would be okay with that layout. I'd use a gunique and not hdplex but it'd be a nice layout

snyed

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 8, 2017
I prefer to use internal psu.
Here's the same layout; it will fill a flex psu and the gigabyte cards just like the old version. The only difference is that it will require a c14 cable. I prefere this design better because it has better gpu compatibility and more room for the gpu to exhaust.