[COMPLETED] All-liquid dual radiator Sliger SM570 Build Log (9700k@5.1, 1080Ti)

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Benchmarks, Thermals, and Noise

Benchmarks
This performs admirably in VR and synthetic load. No thermal throttling whatsoever. 3DMark Time Spy results:

The liquid cooling is allowing a much better GPU overclock, and comparing it to the prior result from months ago shows marked improvement:

However, I am having problems maintaining 5.2 GHz. Notably, my RAM, cooling, and power supply have all changed. There may be something about the RAM, PSU stability, or VRM cooling that's holding me back, but I'm not going to tear it apart just for another 100-200 MHz. Solid at 5.1 and may just keep it there.

Thermals
CPU and GPU are very low at idle, as is typical for any liquid cooling. Blasting Furmark and Prime95, my CPU spikes up to 68C as a result of the overclock but my GPU never crosses over 57C even after an hour. In typical high-demand VR gaming (Arizona Sunshine cranked up high) my CPU is typically 57 and GPU is typically 51.

Noise
This isn't a silent PC. At full blast, there is a low-pitched hum that can be heard from two meters (~6 feet?) away in the living room. It is similar in noise output to a gaming laptop at full blast, but at a lower pitch. At idle, it's silent. 100% of the noise is from the fans with no pump rattle or coil whine. For the intended purpose (VR in the living room) it's just fine: Either I will be alone with a headset and headphones on OR it will be a party situation where people are talking and enjoying watching someone play VR. This isn't a PC that you sit next to all day - it's one for a specific purpose and the compromise on noise is just fine.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
One of the design decisions of this case was to make ALL the intake through the bottom radiator to assist with cooling and to exhaust through the top radiator as well. This means the big vent in the back of my GPU will reduce efficiency of that. It's nothing a little 3D printing can't handle:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
One of the design decisions of this case was to make ALL the intake through the bottom radiator to assist with cooling and to exhaust through the top radiator as well. This means the big vent in the back of my GPU will reduce efficiency of that. It's nothing a little 3D printing can't handle:

For some reason imgur likes to do this weird thing, and you can't view the images. I have taken to including a hard link to the images should imgur conk out.

Can't see nothin' but it sounds cool!

• Sad
Reactions: thoughtfix

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
For some reason imgur likes to do this weird thing, and you can't view the images. I have taken to including a hard link to the images should imgur conk out.

Every time I paste the full link of an Imgur post into the forum, the forum software rewrites it as a MEDIA IMGUR element. :(

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
I'm done. Really really done.

Here's the final album.

Final specs: i7 9700k, Strix Z390I motherboard, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, 3x SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3. PCPartPicker link of core hardware. See "final parts list and cost" below for more.

If this is your first time in this thread, here is the build progression:
  1. The Original PC
  2. Fitting lower radiator
  3. Loop and Pump Planning
  4. Custom Cables
  5. Filling and Bleeding
  6. Final parts list and cost
  7. Benchmarks, Thermals, and Noise

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Nicely done. Wish there was a way to compare temps without the bottom radiator, would love to see how much that improves performance.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Some shout-outs, without whom this build would not have been possible:
  • @KSliger for designing the case.
  • @pslate for custom cables
  • ModMyMods for good advice and a few unusual parts
  • A whole library of liquid cooling videos from jayztwocents on youtube.
  • @Nanook @CountNoctua @rfarmer @raiistar and everyone in the Sliger SM570/SM580 thread for posting their ideas, encouragement, advice, and builds.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I'm done. Really really done.

Here's the final album.

Final specs: i7 9700k, Strix Z390I motherboard, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, 3x SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3. PCPartPicker link of core hardware. See "final parts list and cost" below for more.

If this is your first time in this thread, here is the build progression:
  1. The Original PC
  2. Fitting lower radiator
  3. Loop and Pump Planning
  4. Custom Cables
  5. Filling and Bleeding
  6. Final parts list and cost
  7. Benchmarks, Thermals, and Noise
So awesome.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
I got a new power cable from @pslate and flipped the PSU. There's way more air INSIDE the case than right against the window, so the fan isn't full blast under load. Plus it looks slick.

Also got a new phone with a much better camera, so I can take a few more pretty shots or close-ups if there are any requests.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I got a new power cable from @pslate and flipped the PSU. There's way more air INSIDE the case than right against the window, so the fan isn't full blast under load. Plus it looks slick.

Also got a new phone with a much better camera, so I can take a few more pretty shots or close-ups if there are any requests.

Slowmo video closeup of GPU block!

• Haha

Joejoe317

Chassis Packer
Dec 17, 2019
How tall is your card. I have a 2080ti ftw3 and only have the hydro copper block.
Looks like you have more room for a taller height, but want to be sure before buying.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Update, review, and final thoughts on this build:

CHANGES AND REBUILD
:
Once the SV590 starts shipping again, this machine will be torn down. The SM570 case will have the black panels replaced with white vented panels. The 9700k and 1080 Ti FTW3 liquid system will be moving to the SV590 (oh no - the UV glowing will be gone!) and the SM570 will get a budget build with some leftover parts. Once that's done, the SM570 here will have: Ryzen 3 3300x, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI, 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3000 (yes I know 3000 isn't optimal for AMD but it's spare and free) and an NH-L9a Chromax cooler. I traded a spare Switch Lite for an EVGA 1070 Ti "blower style" card to a friend. The person using it will be upgrading from a Taku build I made a while ago (7500T and 1060 Founders) because, while beautiful, the Taku is impractical for most desks. Probably selling the Taku since it has niche appeal still and is hard to find. Purchased new for the SV590 are an SF750 PSU, 360mm radiator, and new set of pslate cables.

BUILD RETROSPECTIVE:

This project was a real joy and labor of love and I got many hours of living-room VR play out of it. It is amazing HOW MUCH COMPUTER can fit into such a tiny case even with custom liquid. The two-fan system, while it kept my temps playable, did get loud and belch a lot of heat. The lack of a proper reservoir meant bleeding air and topping off were nightmares. I could not get a comfortable fit for the system in my small entertainment center area vertically, so I had to build a janky stand out of makerbeam style rods and lift it off the ground to intake air. Of course it was not intended to be on the ground, so the bottom intake radiator is quite dusty now.

The SM570 is a great case, good build quality, and looks amazing. It would be even better with tempered glass instead of acrylic for windowed builds, but it's still amazing. It belongs on a desk or in a better entertainment center environment than I can provide.

The SV590 is going to solve all of those problems for me, I hope. I'll miss showing off my custom liquid work, but I'll know it's there.