Air cooling, additional fans

teamet

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2018
Dear All,

I have an ncase (v5) and I would like to add more fans. Its cooled by a NH-U9S - is there room for a slim 120mm fan on the side closest to the cooler?

Also, I am considering adding a 92mm slim fan to the top (it will be placed using tape), so it will suck air out the top of the ncase - as anyone tried this?

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Why do you want to add more fans? What is your current number of fans, location and what fans? What are the specs of your build? :)

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
I think you are wanting to do what I have done -

I have a window setup so I cant mount a fan on the side so I stuck a fan at the top (via velcro patch on the psu bracket) which sucks cold air into the case and the cpu fans and case fan send air out of the case. The case fan is a slim 92mm, cpu fans are regular 92 mm and the top fan is 80mm. 92mm at the top would not fit because theres 2 notches in the way.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019

I have a window setup so I cant mount a fan on the side so I stuck a fan at the top (via velcro patch on the psu bracket) which sucks cold air into the case and the cpu fans and case fan send air out of the case. The case fan is a slim 92mm, cpu fans are regular 92 mm and the top fan is 80mm. 92mm at the top would not fit because theres 2 notches in the way.
Hot air runs up, so exhaust would help more I think? The gpu runs hotter than cpu, so fans underneath as exhaust or intake, would help the gpu a lot and also the cpu a bit. 92mm fans make more noise than 120mm fans under the gpu and slim fans + 80mm fans don't do anything other than 1-2 degrees.
Best setup for a u9s as tested on forums and youtube:
-2 fans on the u9s (what you have) as intake, in this way you don't need the somewhat useless slim fan since the u9s will suck in fresh air.
-2 12x25 fans underneath as exhaust (this was the best for temps in the v5, I read that intake was the best in the v6 but more testing is necassary).
This setup makes for a more quiet and also cooler performance.

Last edited:

turke

Caliper Novice
Jul 20, 2019
Hot air runs where the fans push it, hot air only rises in natural convection, anything forced and it's irrelevant

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
You force air with fans? The case top open helps a lot so that's natural convection. But I only mean that a 80mm fan or 90 slim fans produce more noise than they push air the desired way. 2 12x25 fans will help the case a lot more while producing less noise.

lawtsai

Trash Compacter
Sep 3, 2019

I just noticed in your sig you're rocking a 2080 TI. How have your temperatures been? I am planning a similar build.

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
Temperatures have been pretty good! Originally I had 2 120mm fans at the bottom sucking in additional air but it didnt really help that much. I also havent been really pushing it too hard. Some VR here and there but overall no issues!