Advice on new HTPC build

crnflke

What's an ITX?
Original poster
Jun 16, 2018
Hi, I'm looking at building a new HTPC to replace my current myth box.

My current myth box is a Silverstone SUGO SG06, 4Gb RAM, A8-5600K, and a TBS6981 DVB-S2 capture card. It's quite annoyingly crashy at the moment and I want to replace it with something a bit more modern with some flexibility and plenty of power.

My requirements for a build are:
1) Small dimensions - it's going into a cube unit which is 32x32x32 (cm) - broadly 12" cubed.
2) Reasonable looks - lots of pretty lights or looking grubby will get me in trouble
3) 4k (Ideally)
4) Some gaming performance, but I mostly like retrogames (so being able to run Dolphin and scummvm is more interesting to me than the latest Battlefield).
5) Lots of storage space - the myth box has already used up most of 2Tb
6) Cost isn't a total dominator, but I'm targetting £500 and I don't want to breach it hugely.

My current thinking for a build is mostly here:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/crnflke/saved/q3tVYJ

Coolermaster Elite 110A - Aluminium front looks nicer than the 110, and I'm a bit concerned about the dust in the filter showing up on the 110.
Ryzen 2200G - I'm quite excited by the fact that it is capable (apparently) of running PCSX2 & Dolphin at 1080p (or at least 720p), which I like the idea of.
Asrock AB350 - I don't see the desperate need for the next model up, and that seems to be the Internet consensus.
8Gb RAM - I need to check this specifically as I want to make sure I get single rank ram that is definitely compatible - any hints here would be super appreciated.
120Gb SSD (for boot, and to potentially allow the hard drive to sleep). I can work with less, it's mostly a boot drive and I'm running Linux on it.
4Tb storage drive.
A modular power supply - I put the Strider 500 - but I'm contemplating the 450 SFX modular one (Silverstone ST455F-G) to provide as much space in the case as possible. I don't want to have to waste money buying a different power supply later.
I was going to get the Silverstone short cable set - is this worth it? I did find the cables in the SG06 hard work with them getting in the way, hence wanting a modular unit (plus the frequent internet recommendations)
I was planning on using the supplied wraith cooler unless it bugs me immensely.
The case fans are to a degree a placeholder, but £5 each is my target. I was going to use a splitter to hang both fans off the same header.

My plan is to buy the most price distinct stuff from scan, and then everything else from Amazon.

I contemplated the SG13 as well, but I don't think it has space for additional cooling fans and it seems to have less space for storage (which I think limits my future options), likewise using the current SG06 is a possibility, but it is limited in the number of drives it can take and I'd want to replace the PSU given it is 5 years old. Plus it is looking a touch old now.

I'm up to considering an M2 SSD, but a sata one gives me more flexibility to move it around if I want, which is something that I'd find useful.

For software, if it's relevant, I'm currently planning either openelec or an ubuntu flavour running TVHeadend and Kodi. I'm going to write some dirty code to port my existing myth recordings/schedules across.

I'd love some feedback, suggestions or things I've missed or should consider as part of the build

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I have had an Elite 110 for several years now, used to be my HTPC but now it is the house computer. The front most definitely gets dusty, you need to vacuum it regularly. The SFX PSU is a good idea, I wish I had gotten one. Not sure if you really need the short cable set or not, the most difficult cable to route is the 24 pin and there is a trick to that. There are 2 slots on either side of the fan, you run the 24 pin in and around the front, under the fan and back into the case. Doing this eliminates most of the excess length.

The case is listed as only have 2 X 3.5" + 1 X 2.5" or 3 X 3.5" drives, you can actually mount 3 X 3.5" + 1 X 2.5". Mount the 2 in their top slots and the 3rd 3.5 on the inside of the frame on the side mount, mount the 2.5 on the outside of the frame right next to it. You will need straight SATA connectors but it will work fine.

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
For the memory, I have been a G.Skill guy for a long time, but in my most recent build got the Ballistix Sport RAM for my AsRock AB350 build and it works perfect. Doesn't seem like it's available from e-tailers in the UK though for some reason.