Need setup advice

WildWhite

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
Hello,

I am in pursuit of a setup that is all water cooled and has a slim CD drive and is SFF of course. In general I would like it to be as small as possible.

In my research, I kind of was set on the silverstone SG06 and I had seen all water cooled setups using this particular case, such as this setup: http://www.overclock.net/t/541767/club-for-those-with-beastly-matx-itx-rigs/8290 The only particular reason I was set on this case was because it was one of the smaller cases that had decent airflow while having a cd drive and water cooling capabilities. There where smaller all water cooled setups, but I am also trying to make a SILENT AS CAN BE build, which means thicker radiators and fans ultimately, as smaller setups, like the node 202 scream loud to keep cool.

I could be wrong, but I think the Ncase m1 might be the case for me, it as a slim cd drive and support for 240mm radiator, though I wonder how thick a radiator and fan I can get away with.

I am completely entrolled by the hd plex 400W PSU, but the adapter it comes with only seems to do 330 watts. Can anyone recommend something that goes higher? Here is what I am talking about. https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-internal-300w-ac-dc-adapter-with-active-pfc-and-19vdc-output.html ---- If this doesnt work out, I will probably just order a Be quiet PSU.

So in short I am trying to make a small and quiet as can be setup with a slim cd drive. Any advice? I wish the case was shorter, I only want to use a mini-itx ryzen board with a gtx1060.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
M1 is a good choice, if you know the TDP of your GPU and CPU you should be able to add them together as a rough estimate of your power draw, usually under 400watts peak for a consumer-grade build. Otherwise, I'm fairly certain you can fit a normal SFX psu in there.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
That Sugo looks like it had everything under water with just a 120 or 140 rad (wow!) located immediately behind the front. Unfortunately, the rad looks like it was being starved as the front on that model is solid with vents on the sides only.

While the M1 is a great SFF choice for having watercooling and a ODD, I wonder why you're bothering with full watercooling with a 1060 for 2 reasons: 1) AFAIK, there isn't a full block for a 1060 available, 2) dual-fan versions of the 1060 cool reasonably quietly on air (I have the EVGA 6GB SSC) if you have enough ventilation.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
That Sugo looks like it had everything under water with just a 120 or 140 rad (wow!) located immediately behind the front. Unfortunately, the rad looks like it was being starved as the front on that model is solid with vents on the sides only.

While the M1 is a great SFF choice for having watercooling and a ODD, I wonder why you're bothering with full watercooling with a 1060 for 2 reasons: 1) AFAIK, there isn't a full block for a 1060 available, 2) dual-fan versions of the 1060 cool reasonably quietly on air (I have the EVGA 6GB SSC) if you have enough ventilation.
While a 1070 might be the better choice, technically this works for the 1060.

WildWhite

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017

Well the guy claims 4.6 for two hours, which is definately more juice and heat, I would image complete stability at 4.4ghz. Which is really all I want. Any idea's? I would probaly buy someones setup and merely replace the mother board, cpu, ram, and video card if I could.

I am struggling now between that and the m1, the m1 will do 2 rads, but the fans and radiators must both be significantly thinner. while for the sugo, they can be totally thick.

WildWhite

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 18, 2017
M1 is a good choice, if you know the TDP of your GPU and CPU you should be able to add them together as a rough estimate of your power draw, usually under 400watts peak for a consumer-grade build. Otherwise, I'm fairly certain you can fit a normal SFX psu in there.

Alright, well out of curiousity, what is the thickest radiator and fan combination I can get away with in the m1? with the sugo its quite high, but its only 1 radiator. Im not sure about the m1, but I am also wanting to do a "quiet as can be build" while getting away with the most power. I would probaly buy someones setup and merely replace the mother board, cpu, ram, and video card if I could, but I cant find that.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Alright, well out of curiousity, what is the thickest radiator and fan combination I can get away with in the m1? with the sugo its quite high, but its only 1 radiator. Im not sure about the m1, but I am also wanting to do a "quiet as can be build" while getting away with the most power. I would probaly buy someones setup and merely replace the mother board, cpu, ram, and video card if I could, but I cant find that.
More surface area trumps thickness. You can get away with two dual rads in the M1 but I don't recall the sizes off of the top of my head.