SFF build advice

escape-to-88

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jul 25, 2018
Hi all,

Currently I run a desktop housed in a Fractal R3 case. I built the system about 7 years ago and run an overclocked i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz and it's never missed a beat. Motherboard-wise I'm using a P8P67-Pro and I liquid cool using a H60. For my GPU I use a small 1060 SC 6gb card. I'm given a laptop for work and I also use a Macbook for design, although occasionally use my PC for Photoshop work and (due to my job) some minor film work, mainly converting using Handbrake, so I don't need any kind of workstation as such. Primarily I use my PC for some Steam gaming and emulation, that is to say the Dolphin emulator and suchlike, that run very well on my current rig. I would, however, like to move the system to my living room so have a few questions:

Is it worth re-housing/re-working my current spec into an ITX motherboard and smaller case, or should I be thinking about a newer build due to the age of some of my components (mainly the o/ced CPU)?

If so is there anyway I can use liquid cooling or would I be limited to air in a much smaller build? I have no issue customising anything as have fabricated things before and built/restored arcade machines and have access to materials and friends who are fabricators and cabinet makers.

I was very interested in the Lazer 3D case and this build here: He says and demonstrated airflow and temps are fine, I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this case and airflow/temps?

I really like the aesthetics of this case, is there anything comparable if airflow/temps would not be suitable?

Just to reiterate it would almost solely be used for gaming, emulation and movie watching in the living room.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
finding a board to accomodate your current CPU will be your biggest challenge as ITX Z68 or Z77 are becoming quite rare (and as pricey as new Z370 boards).

If your living room has space for the R3 case, I'd just keep it in that, unless you want/can upgrade to something like 8600K with an ITX motherboard.