Advice on a rackable light SFF server

gr85z

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
So I am working on a proof of concept system.
It isn't high CPU usage everything would run on a Raspberry PI but we need a few more things.
We need it to have a Min of 4GB of RAM, Dual Ethernet ports (we considered using USB to Ethernet but need the through put. ), and only need about 50GB of Disk, running CentOS or Ubuntu,then of course the big one id dual power supplies because we have to keep up and running.
The end goal will be a production box we can build and send to our sites racked and turn on after connections are made and then finish the last bit of configurations and leave it be.
I am looking at the SFF because of power consumption and being small of course. The more room we leave in rack for our clients the better plus not consuming as much power.
Currently we have a mixture of systems between Del , HP SuperMicro and a few others.
I am open for thoughts and inputs or if I am going the wrong direction all together , I have pretty versed in Linux world , and Virtual Machines. do to requirements we need these to be physical nodes.
Thanks in advance let me hear some ideas.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I made your topic title more informative.

On-topic: if it's for rackmount, with low CPU requirements but dual ethernet, I recommend looking into motherboards for the embedded market (ASRock Rack, Gigabyte, Gigabyte Server, Tyan, SuperMicro, etc.)

I expect price is also of importance. I found these with a quick search:

Though these have Realtek NICs, you're likely to find Intel or Broadcom NICs on ASRock Rack and SuperMicro boards easily.

gr85z

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 18, 2019
I made your topic title more informative.

On-topic: if it's for rackmount, with low CPU requirements but dual ethernet, I recommend looking into motherboards for the embedded market (ASRock Rack, Gigabyte, Gigabyte Server, Tyan, SuperMicro, etc.)

I expect price is also of importance. I found these with a quick search:

Though these have Realtek NICs, you're likely to find Intel or Broadcom NICs on ASRock Rack and SuperMicro boards easily.
Thank you for the modification to title appreciate it.
Also thanks for the information on the boards I will start looking. The big piece will be dual power supplies I think it seems to be hard to find a rack mount case that has dual power supplies. for the small form factor boards.