Advice on a 3900X / 5700XT build in an SV590

corwin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 7, 2020
Greetings,

It's been a while since I've built a system up, but it's time to get stuck back in. I'm looking at building a reasonably competent workstation for the home office, and have settled on a build based around either the new ASRockRack X570D4 server mb or the Asus Rog Strix 570i mb using a 3900X and a watercooled (1 slot) 5700XT that I want to build in an SV590. I probably won't be oc'ing, I'm more interested in quiet. I've even looked at putting it in a rack in the basement and hauling the DP and USB3 cables up, but the cost for that was around $500 for the cables alone.

I'm going to be ordering parts over the weekend, but have a few questions, if the kind folks here could help me out.

1) Any suggestions on modular, quiet SFX power supplies? I see some titanium SFX-L's, but it sounds like that might be a bit tight in this case.
2) What PSU cable lengths have people found best for the 24 pin and the 8 pin to the graphics cards? I've seen a lot of builds with quite a bit of excess cable, and I'm willing to get some cables made, to reduce the slack.
3) What pump reservoir do people recommend? Where would you mount it? With the 1 slot GPU, it looks like I might have a bit more space than the 2 slot cards, but what has worked for folks?
and lastly,
4) What is consensus on fan depth and radiator depth? Also, it looks like there is at least 1 420mm radiator that works, is there still enough room to snake the cables into the top?

Thank's in advance. As the build progresses, I will update.

Christopher

Basriy

Chassis Packer
Feb 18, 2020
1. I have SilverStone 650W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, and it is quiet. Moreover, I have ordered 500W Flex PSU. It is said that in general Flex PSUs are loud, so I want to replace its 40 mm fan with the one from Noktua and check if it will improve quietness. FYI, if you want to order that Flex from the source I gave, keep in mind they don't ship outside China. I had to use my friends there to collect it and resend me.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
I've used the Silverstone SX700 titanium i think it is, its SFX-L though, but with the flat cables they come with you can squeeze them in where non-flat modular cables woudlnt make the bend.It was silent as the fan rarely came on with an R7 and 1080, and no whine from it.
My Corsair SF600 i have now though (couldn't fit the SFX-l in my a4) is pretty damn quiet, if you want even quieter you can swap the fan out for a Noctua NF-a9 or similar and add a temp sensor for PWM control if you want super silent? different people have differing ideas on silent though.
Can't help on your other questions though sorry.