replacing my SFF flight sim

Hello from Eugene, OR. I've been using a Ryzen 2400G to run my flight sim but it requires me to keep all settings on low. I want to keep my new PC mounted on the wall (vesa) like my current one so I'm going with the NFC S4M . I already ordered some parts (button, cooler, SkyWire cables) for it but the case itself is backordered, it isn't letting me place an order but hopefully soon.

I need to add a dedicated GPU which my current case has no room for. I'll be using the same MB/m.2 ssd/processor/RAM at first. I'll probably upgrade to a Ryzen 7nm chip once released if they do well in X-Plane 11. I figure I'll get the bulk of what I paid back, I might order an inexpensive ITX board for my old case and pair it with one of my smaller SSD's that aren't used anymore to sell as a system.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hello from Eugene, OR. I've been using a Ryzen 2400G to run my flight sim but it requires me to keep all settings on low. I want to keep my new PC mounted on the wall (vesa) like my current one so I'm going with the NFC S4M . I already ordered some parts (button, cooler, SkyWire cables) for it but the case itself is backordered, it isn't letting me place an order but hopefully soon.

I need to add a dedicated GPU which my current case has no room for. I'll be using the same MB/m.2 ssd/processor/RAM at first. I'll probably upgrade to a Ryzen 7nm chip once released if they do well in X-Plane 11. I figure I'll get the bulk of what I paid back, I might order an inexpensive ITX board for my old case and pair it with one of my smaller SSD's that aren't used anymore to sell as a system.

Very nice setup, sir. This is the right forum to ask about SFF systems.

Off the top of my head, just put a 1060/RX 580 in your future S4M.

Lian Li dropped producing the S4M for @Josh | NFC. I don't know who will do (or if ) the next batch.

If not, there's always the used market, or a Logic Supply MC600 (The S4M is WAY better, get it if possible).

Reactions: cornut

cornut

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Very nice setup, sir. This is the right forum to ask about SFF systems.

Off the top of my head, just put a 1060/RX 580 in your future S4M.

Lian Li dropped producing the S4M for @Josh | NFC. I don't know who will do (or if ) the next batch.

If not, there's always the used market, or a Logic Supply MC600 (The S4M is WAY better, get it if possible).

Thanks for the response, I suppose I should've done more research. I watched a few youtube videos and came to the conclusion the S4M was the one I needed but I guess it may not happen. I need decent cooling & vesa mountable, S4M was the only one able to do that so it's unfortunate news! I guess I'll look around for a used one, if not I'll just keep what I have. My room is small, vesa mountable is a must. I was so excited.. ugh

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks for the response, I suppose I should've done more research. I watched a few youtube videos and came to the conclusion the S4M was the one I needed but I guess it may not happen. I need decent cooling & vesa mountable, S4M was the only one able to do that so it's unfortunate news! I guess I'll look around for a used one, if not I'll just keep what I have. My room is small, vesa mountable is a must. I was so excited.. ugh

Don't worry yet! There may be more!

Reactions: cornut

cornut

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
Don't worry yet! There may be more!

I'm still hopeful but prepared to accept if it doesn't come back in-stock. I'm on the email list in case inventory changes, fingers crossed. I already bought the SkyWires Deluxe set, I found them used on ebay. Figuring I was building in the S4M I went ahead and ordered them since they were inexpensive.

If I get an S4M, I'll most likely do a 1080 or 2070. While it's likely to be complete overkill, my monitor is 3440x1440 and I want to be certain the scenery looks as good as possible. While the second screen doesn't use a lot of resources, the GPS display is its own HDMI monitor so I do run dual displays. The APU, despite having it running stable with 3433mhz ram, it struggles when near the ground (takeoff/landing).

Last edited:

cornut

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
The S4M is WAY better, get it if possible.

Done. I spent more than I would've if I waited but I found a pre-owned one. The deal is 100% fair but it comes with some accessories I can't use/don't need. At least now I have one coming in case they don't come back in-stock, and really, my deal is better financially but it'll require a bit of time to sell a few things to recoup cost.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Done. I spent more than I would've if I waited but I found a pre-owned one. The deal is 100% fair but it comes with some accessories I can't use/don't need. At least now I have one coming in case they don't come back in-stock, and really, my deal is better financially but it'll require a bit of time to sell a few things to recoup cost.

Great!!