Discussion A PC Mac chassis

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Jan 25, 2018
A case styled after Apple Mac Pro.

At 19.x L, it still sits under the 20L norm, but is a little large, IMHO.
I am wondering, one who likes this style must be an apple fan. Then, why he does not buy a Mac Pro in the first place?

Anyway, this is not my cup of tea but could be someone else's here.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
A case styled after Apple Mac Pro.

At 19.x L, it still sits under the 20L norm, but is a little large, IMHO.
I am wondering, one who likes this style must be an apple fan. Then, why he does not buy a Mac Pro in the first place?

Anyway, this is not my cup of tea but could be someone else's here.

Because a Mac Pro starts at $7,000USD in the USA. And as ridiculous as that price is--it is worse everywhere else in the world. Also, the Apple Silicon version is unnecessarily gigantic for anyone other than institutional users needing PCIe slots for NICs or RAID storage cards, who of course are willing to pay $7K+ per workstation for creatives. MKBHD actually did a video on the hilarity of the MacPro for most users--as the Mac Studio is literally the same exact machine just without the PCIe connectivity.

While I may not be fond of the company and its locked down ecosystem...Apple has some of the best industrial product design of any category anywhere. You know what it is (or what someone is copying) looking at it without even having a logo on it. There are basically no SIs or PC makers that even try to bother with industrial design, which makes Apple products stand out more. Only in the SFF scene do boutique case brands try to get close--but as amazing as products like the FormD T1 is, it is still hampered by the PC hardware being hot and power hungry because of x86.

There have been a few of these imitators over the years....back 4 years ago there was a big old Kickstarter to do a full-size ATX 'replica' of the MacPro. It ended up being a scam after getting attention and lots of money. Only products it ever shipped were to tech-tubers to make more noise.

Last edited: