Other A new 3D Application to help you layout a system.

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
Hi All. I have written a 3D CAD web app that you can use to layout a custom PC case including some SFF options. Please have a go. I have tried to make it very easy and fun to use.

PC Design Foundry

If there are any options that you want added please let me know. I still need to add a Mini-STX Board.

I can also build prototypes and parts if needed.

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
Interesting, I haven't worked with any 3D modelling tools so there may be control standards I'm unaware of.

How do I rotate components?
Is there a way to isolate tilt/swivel for the object?
Is there a way to lock view to certain orientations?

A web based layout tool seems like a great idea for accessibility.

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
Interesting, I haven't worked with any 3D modelling tools so there may be control standards I'm unaware of.

Hi BonfireOfDreams.

You can rotate the view by left click and move the mouse.
Zoom using the scroll wheel or right click and move the mouse.
Pan by clicking the scroll wheel or centre button and moving the mouse.

If you are on a phone or tablet multi touch works too.
One finger rotate
Two finger pinch to zoom
Two fingers moved together to pan.

You can rotate the components in 90 degree increments by clicking the handles that look like this.

When you have a coolant pipe or fitting selected they actually rotate in 15 degree increments.

Then you can drag the components by click and hold and dragging the arrows.

There is also a little HELP section under the file menu.

I have not set up view orientations yet. I can add it though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mister T

khanate

Cable Smoosher
Mar 18, 2019
When I tried adding a CPU cooler (air) it was added in the bottom right corner instead of above the motherboard. It would also be nice if it was possible to adjust the height of it.

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
When I tried adding a CPU cooler (air) it was added in the bottom right corner instead of above the motherboard. It would also be nice if it was possible to adjust the height of it.

Hi Khanate.

Thanks for the feedback. You should be able to move the CPU cooler around like the other components. Since there are many sizes of motherboards I have not put the CPU cooler in the correct location for each one. Currently all the components start at the same location. It is a good idea to have it start on the motherboard though. I will add this to the list of improvements. Also a CPU cooler that you can adjust x,y,z size. It will probably not have the fan attached though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashby

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com

Hi BonfireOfDreams.

I just added view orientation buttons for. Left Right, Front Back. Top Bottom.
These wont work for designs already saved unfortunately. You would have to reload the page and start design again.

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com

Hi Khanate.

I have added a custom block option so that you can make a CPU cooler block of any size now. Just type in the x,y,z in mm separated with comas.

You can also use it to make distributor plates or even extra sheet metal parts just use the thickness you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: khanate

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I was really excited when I saw your app, but it could really use a few things. #1 being the ability to put a PCIe bracket behind the motherboard, and the other being the addition of flex-atx power supplies (40x80x150mm is standard size)

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
I was really excited when I saw your app, but it could really use a few things. #1 being the ability to put a PCIe bracket behind the motherboard, and the other being the addition of flex-atx power supplies (40x80x150mm is standard size)

Hi Damascus.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always looking for improvements.

For your two issues.

1) You can add more PCIe cards to the assembly independently of the motherboard. You can put them behind the motherboard if you like. However it won't as yet add the bracket and cutouts to the rear of the enclosure though. I have to do that in my detailed CAD model. I could at least add the bracket into the web app so you can see it. Currently only some of the motherboard options are available without PIC installed.

2) For the Flex ATX power supply I will try to add soon. Until then there is an option to add a custom block that you can just type in the x,y,z to make one for the flex power supply. It is the last option on the add component menu.

Last edited:
Reactions: Damascus

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Hi Damascus.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm always looking for improvements.

For your two issues.

1) You can add more PCIe cards to the assembly independently of the motherboard. You can put them behind the motherboard if you like. However it won't as yet add the bracket and cutouts to the rear of the enclosure though. I have to do that in my detailed CAD model. I could at least add the bracket into the web app so you can see it. Currently only some of the motherboard options are available without PIC installed.

2) For the Flex ATX power supply I will try to add soon. Until then there is an option to add a custom block that you can just type in the x,y,z to make one for the flex power supply. It is the last option on the add component menu.

Nice, I'll definitely take a peek later!

Reactions: Biowarejak

alauder

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
This is REALLY cool. If you check my resources, you can see an accurate STX blank. It's a .stp.
Hi Windfall.

I have added mini-STX motherboard to the menu now. Out of interest what did you base the size of the Rear IO panel on? I could not find any drawings online and used the one from your STEP file. It is just a funny size because it is less than all the other ATX type boards.

Also I don't model the rads on the corners of the board because it would increase the file size and slow the load times down.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hi Windfall.

I have added mini-STX motherboard to the menu now. Out of interest what did you base the size of the Rear IO panel on? I could not find any drawings online and used the one from your STEP file. It is just a funny size because it is less than all the other ATX type boards.

Also I don't model the rads on the corners of the board because it would increase the file size and slow the load times down.

The model is a simplified CAD model I got from Sapphire. I checked it with an actual board and case. Yes, it is an oddball size. Glad you added it.

eiselx86

Trash Compacter
Oct 23, 2017
Main issue (Firefox) was
that I managed to scroll down the page countless times. When scrolling up you then get stopped by the window. Adding a keybind on the mouse to delete current selection would speed up the workflow. Looks promising :)

Reactions: MrFizzyBubbs