• Updates are afoot! Track our progress, report bugs, and make feature requests in our dedicated update thread. Read more
    Our latest release introduces full-screen post editing, ignorable forums and threads, lazy loading, unread thread icons, and other enhancements

A new 3D Application to help you layout a system.

alauder

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2019
Hi All. I have written a 3D CAD web app that you can use to layout a custom PC case including some SFF options. Please have a go. I have tried to make it very easy and fun to use.

PC Design Foundry

If there are any options that you want added please let me know. I still need to add a Mini-STX Board.

I can also build prototypes and parts if needed.

BonfireOfDreams

Trash Compacter
Mar 14, 2019
Interesting, I haven't worked with any 3D modelling tools so there may be control standards I'm unaware of.

How do I rotate components?
Is there a way to isolate tilt/swivel for the object?
Is there a way to lock view to certain orientations?

A web based layout tool seems like a great idea for accessibility.

alauder

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2019
Interesting, I haven't worked with any 3D modelling tools so there may be control standards I'm unaware of.

Hi BonfireOfDreams.

You can rotate the view by left click and move the mouse.
Zoom using the scroll wheel or right click and move the mouse.
Pan by clicking the scroll wheel or centre button and moving the mouse.

If you are on a phone or tablet multi touch works too.
One finger rotate
Two finger pinch to zoom
Two fingers moved together to pan.

You can rotate the components in 90 degree increments by clicking the handles that look like this.

When you have a coolant pipe or fitting selected they actually rotate in 15 degree increments.

Then you can drag the components by click and hold and dragging the arrows.

There is also a little HELP section under the file menu.

I have not set up view orientations yet. I can add it though.

Last edited:

khanate

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 18, 2019
When I tried adding a CPU cooler (air) it was added in the bottom right corner instead of above the motherboard. It would also be nice if it was possible to adjust the height of it.

alauder

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2019
When I tried adding a CPU cooler (air) it was added in the bottom right corner instead of above the motherboard. It would also be nice if it was possible to adjust the height of it.
Hi Khanate.

Thanks for the feedback. You should be able to move the CPU cooler around like the other components. Since there are many sizes of motherboards I have not put the CPU cooler in the correct location for each one. Currently all the components start at the same location. It is a good idea to have it start on the motherboard though. I will add this to the list of improvements. Also a CPU cooler that you can adjust x,y,z size. It will probably not have the fan attached though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sashby

alauder

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2019

Hi BonfireOfDreams.

I just added view orientation buttons for. Left Right, Front Back. Top Bottom.
These wont work for designs already saved unfortunately. You would have to reload the page and start design again.

alauder

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 10, 2019
Hi Khanate.

I have added a custom block option so that you can make a CPU cooler block of any size now. Just type in the x,y,z in mm separated with comas.

You can also use it to make distributor plates or even extra sheet metal parts just use the thickness you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: khanate

Windfall

SFF Guru
Nov 14, 2017
This is REALLY cool. If you check my resources, you can see an accurate STX blank. It's a .stp.