A M1 thread that you've seen so many times...

dmznsdp

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
I've made a decision to build in M1. A pretty common build around here but I want to be really sure as I have no money to waste. Could you please advise me any improvements in the build? Maybe VRM or NVMe drive temps would be bad with my current planned setup and I can do something about it.

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Noctua NH-U9S (got it on my shelf already)
  • a decent B550 mobo when they come out, >Gbit LAN is very welcome
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB 3600 MHz (got this one coming to me)
  • also a decent PCIe 4.0 SSD from a manufacturer that makes both the memory and the controllers
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, don't know which one to get, thinking PowerColor
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum (also have it)
  • two bottom mounted RGB fans without funky hubs and software
  • one intake Noctua NH-A12x25 for the CPU, mounted at the side near the front

toy_soljah

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 30, 2019
I've made a decision to build in M1. A pretty common build around here but I want to be really sure as I have no money to waste. Could you please advise me any improvements in the build? Maybe VRM or NVMe drive temps would be bad with my current planned setup and I can do something about it.

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Noctua NH-U9S (got it on my shelf already)
  • a decent B550 mobo when they come out, >Gbit LAN is very welcome
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB 3600 MHz (got this one coming to me)
  • also a decent PCIe 4.0 SSD from a manufacturer that makes both the memory and the controllers
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, don't know which one to get, thinking PowerColor
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum (also have it)
  • two bottom mounted RGB fans without funky hubs and software
  • one intake Noctua NH-A12x25 for the CPU, mounted at the side near the front
In terms of the CPU cooler and fan setup that you have, its similar to mine and I am using 3700X. No issues whatsoever on the heat dissipation. I must say I am impressed with V6 performance. As for the graphic card, I had to undervolt my RTX 2080 and temps are hovering not more than 75C under load. I did not include any bottom mounted fans though as I felt the V6 has enough ventilation for the GPU now.

dmznsdp

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 5, 2020
In terms of the CPU cooler and fan setup that you have, its similar to mine and I am using 3700X. No issues whatsoever on the heat dissipation. I must say I am impressed with V6 performance. As for the graphic card, I had to undervolt my RTX 2080 and temps are hovering not more than 75C under load. I did not include any bottom mounted fans though as I felt the V6 has enough ventilation for the GPU now.
Do you plan to install bottom intakes?

If I install Arctic Accelero and put 25 mm fans under the heatsink, would I need a GPU support bracket? I want the GPU to be completely parallel to the bottom of the case, without even slightest deviations.

toy_soljah

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 30, 2019
Do you plan to install bottom intakes?

If I install Arctic Accelero and put 25 mm fans under the heatsink, would I need a GPU support bracket? I want the GPU to be completely parallel to the bottom of the case, without even slightest deviations.

My Zotac RTX 2080 had a design flaw when I placed my Bequiet Silent Wings 3 fans, the fans from the graphic card was hitting against my bottom intake fan. I had to remove it out. I assume for Arctic cooler, you would have no problem fitting the 25mm fans under the heatsink without any GPU support bracket.

Reactions: dmznsdp

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
If you install an Accelero on your GPU, I’d suggest you put the bottom fans as exhaust

expbaby

Case Bender
Jan 6, 2020
I'm getting some really bad temps out of my 2080 Super in my N1 case. When I play RDR 2 the GPU fans are running full blast 3000 RPM and temp of the card is around 86 degrees.
Machine has:
Noctua NH-U9S with an extra fan
2 Noctua fans on the bottom of the case pushing air out the bottom.

My build is still in skeleton form, so no side panels attached. It's pretty infuriating how loud it is.

As a test, I set the Bottom Fans to go all balls at 2000 RPM. Booted up RDR 2 and it was still reaching about 84 degrees.

If I undervolt it, how far do you go?

My goal is to be able to play RDR 2 without living next to a runway.

Gonna try an Accellero III, but am concerned with temps.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
If you have the bottom fans as exhaust it would explain your problem since they are starving the GPU fans for fresh air. Try making the bottom fans intake first and see if it helps and if that doesn’t help enough try to go for an accelero and also bottom exhaust.
ofcourse undervolting is highly recommended too.

toy_soljah

Cable Smoosher
New User
Sep 30, 2019
I'm getting some really bad temps out of my 2080 Super in my N1 case. When I play RDR 2 the GPU fans are running full blast 3000 RPM and temp of the card is around 86 degrees.
Machine has:
Noctua NH-U9S with an extra fan
2 Noctua fans on the bottom of the case pushing air out the bottom.

My build is still in skeleton form, so no side panels attached. It's pretty infuriating how loud it is.

As a test, I set the Bottom Fans to go all balls at 2000 RPM. Booted up RDR 2 and it was still reaching about 84 degrees.

If I undervolt it, how far do you go?

My goal is to be able to play RDR 2 without living next to a runway.

Gonna try an Accellero III, but am concerned with temps.

Yes initially without undervolting. I was getting crazy temps. it was floating above 80.
I undervolted to around 850mv and set the clock speed to 1850mhz which is a 100mhz overclock from my stock default. So far no issues. Highest temp I am getting is 75C under load. I do not have any bottom intake fans and my GFX card is only a dual fan 2 slot card. So its probably the same as the founder's edition card.

I wanted to try Accellero III but for RTX 2080, I don't really see many people using AAIII cooler on these cards so I was skeptical on purchasing it and voiding the warranty on my card lol.

expbaby

Case Bender
Jan 6, 2020
Thanks fellas. I got a an Accellero III arriving any day. I'm gonna try that out and possibly undervolt if temps are still too high. Will report back!

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Because it will not send the hot air up towards the case. I would think that you’ll get the best possible thermals if you put your cpu cooler as intake (back to front) and the bottom GPU fans as exhaust. This way you’ll have a balanced case flow overall instead of a negative air pressure one that would be having cpu as exhaust and GPU as exhaust. If you put cpu exhaust and GPU intake would also be balanced but the GPU hot air will affect the cpu temps more since it’s more susceptible to higher temps.
At least that’s what I think and that’s what performed better in my system too

Reactions: rfarmer