HD plex 160w ac-dc blew a thermistor... Need help

CaptinOJ

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Sry in advanced if I'm not in the right section of the forum to post this. Currently setting up an s4 mini build with a ryzen 1700x, 32 gb ram, gtx 1660ti. I have both a HD plex 400w hifi DC-atx and a 160w ac-DC. I was lead to believe the power supply combo should have been fine but I could also be an idiot. Tried to start pc for the first time and the ntc 5d-9 thermistor popped like a grape. Anyone know what's going on? Would like to know if I should just wait for another power supply to become available or try and solder on a new thermistor. Thanks.

Jaeryd

Cable Smoosher
Aug 3, 2017
With this type of power supply combo you are limited by your smallest capacity component. In this case it is the 160w ac-dc.

TDP will give you a decent (but not perfect) estimate of how much power you will use. The 1700x has a tdp of 95w. The 1660ti is 120w. At this point you are already over 200w minimum required for your power supply, and that is without taking the motherboard, ram, and hard drive power requirements (which are much lower than cpu and gpu).

A more appropriate ac-dc would be either the dell 330w brick, or the new HD Plex 400w ac-dc (this is separate from the 400w dc-atx you already have.)

Both of these will give you plenty of head room for upgrades down the line.

Let me know if I need to clarify anything, I'm always happy to answer questions.

Reactions: CaptinOJ

CaptinOJ

Case Bender
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
Thanks a bunch! I've had that power supply combo sitting for 2 years waIting to use it. Oh well

bichael

Average Stuffer
Dec 17, 2017
Get in touch with hdplex, they are super helpful! Are you sure everything was connected up right? Power draw at start up isn't that high so doubt that would be the issue - it sounds like it went pretty much immediately?