Stalled ~7L console-style case concept (and possible future NCASE product)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I did some testing of the FSP 400W Gold FlexATX PSU, and it has some rather unfortunate coil noise that becomes apparent under load. I made this recording, demonstrating both the fan and coil noise under idle and load (3DMark Time Spy) conditions:

Note that the 3DMark testing starts at 1:18. I manually stopped the fan periodically to isolate the fan noise from the coil noise. FSP prepared this unit with a custom fan profile for us, and aside from a bit of bearing noise, it's not bad at all. Pity about the coil noise.

CknSalad

Chassis Packer
Apr 6, 2016
I did some testing of the FSP 400W Gold FlexATX PSU, and it has some rather unfortunate coil noise that becomes apparent under load. I made this recording, demonstrating both the fan and coil noise under idle and load (3DMark Time Spy) conditions:

Note that the 3DMark testing starts at 1:18. I manually stopped the fan periodically to isolate the fan noise from the coil noise. FSP prepared this unit with a custom fan profile for us, and aside from a bit of bearing noise, it's not bad at all. Pity about the coil noise.

Maybe try the 500w Flex-ATX platinum FSP psu next? I get the feeling that 500w is probably going to be the minimum for acceptable noise for a Flex-ATX psu due to the tiny fan.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Maybe try the 500w Flex-ATX platinum FSP psu next? I get the feeling that 500w is probably going to be the minimum for acceptable noise for a Flex-ATX psu due to the tiny fan.
The 500W lacks a -12V rail, which potentially will prevent some motherboards from booting. So that's not an option.

Did you listen to the video? The loudness of the fan isn't the problem. The problem is 1.) electrical/coil noise, and 2.) some bearing noise from the fan. Neither of these issues has to do with the power rating.

CknSalad

Chassis Packer
Apr 6, 2016
@Necere What's the power consumption during the testing for the i7 6700K and gtx 1080 setup? is the i7 6700k just at 4.0GHz undervolted? Maybe try regular case scenarios with built-in gaming benchmarks or see what happens when you enable v-sync? I have read that high frame-rates or heavy gpu loads may cause the coil whine.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I didn't have a wattmeter, but I monitored GPU and CPU package power via HWiNFO, which reported around 200W and 30W, respectively. So I'd estimate 250-275W total for the system. Both CPU and GPU were running at stock clocks.

I also played a bit of Dishonored 2 with vsync on, and experienced the same coil clatter that can be heard in the video. Notably, it was more prominent when looking at the in-game water.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, the problem with those kinds of changes is they require re-engineering, which in turn requires recertification (which is expensive). We only have the choice of a handful of pre-certified fans for this PSU to choose from, as well.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Progress.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Looks like a homage to a Nintendo or something. Can't have enough console cases, however!

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016

Reminds me more Xbox 1 S than Nintendo, just because of the bottom being slightly less wide than the top. Which isn't a bad thing, I like the Xbox 1 S design.

However, I think I prefer this slightly more (or the other with the slim drive on bottom but still be equally wide top and bottom):

I definitely like both more than the Node 202. Nothing against Fractal (I have a Node 605), but I don't like the asymmetrical design they added on the front by the USB.

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
you are going to need better venting than that though. The node 202 always ran GPUs hot. you needed 2 extra fans