Concept 730 Systems: "Ether" (12.95L) and "Serum" (15.75L) SFF ITX Cases.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Does the center channel open on top to allow air pushed into it to exhaust from the top or is it only open from the front and back? If the latter, I suspect it will create a bit of a a hot air dead zone.

That's definitely something to consider during testing with a prototype. We shall see.

Reactions: Kundahli

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
That's definitely something to consider during testing with a prototype. We shall see.
I think it would be very beneficial for the chamber to be able to pull air through the top and bottom. Especially in the event there are fans there to assist in the movement of air up and through the channel. 2 fans at the top in pull would make a massive different in the amount of air coming through the sides as well as through the central channel.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
I think it would be very beneficial for the chamber to be able to pull air through the top and bottom. Especially in the event there are fans there to assist in the movement of air up and through the channel. 2 fans at the top in pull would make a massive different in the amount of air coming through the sides as well as through the central channel.

Serum has an opening at the top of the center chamber since the AIO bracket is there and the fans need it for airflow. Ether does not, but it wouldn't be a problem to add an opening. I hesitate to add an opening at the bottom of either case because that area will always be visible when viewed from the front. It would break the "clean" appearance, but if during testing the prototype it will add to the cooling capability in a measurable way then I'll consider it.

Reactions: Tazpr

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: PSU Optimization and MORE Storage!

I took some time to optimize the area around the PSU by reducing the size of the PSU bracket and adding an additional mounting option. An SFX or SFX-L PSU can now be mounted either horizontally or vertically. This will also improve cable management by providing more options. I also used the unoccupied space behind the front panel in the GPU chamber for two more SSD brackets. Both Serum and Ether can support up to 4 SSD's (depending on whether you use an SFX or SFX-L PSU).

More to come!

gil

Efficiency Noob
Feb 11, 2020
it's impressive. how about it could be stood vertically as an option to pose?

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: Ether

Still in the process of getting a quote on a prototype.

Made several changes to the design by changing the overall sheet metal thickness to 1.6mm from 1.5mm, and 2.2mm from 2mm to comply with available material dimensions. This slightly increased the volume of the case, but keeps it below 13L.

Increased internal spacing of the CPU chamber by 2mm to prevent the possibility that up to a 70mm (height) CPU cooler would make contact with the exterior panel.

Decreased the exterior panel slot thickness to 8mm from 10mm to allow room for additional slots.

Reduced the amount of screws needed for assembly.

Improved design of the PCI-E Riser Slot platform.

Improved design of the PSU Bracket.

Increased top and bottom shell vent holes to 5mm diameter to reduce airflow restriction.

Updated render images to reflect changes on main post of this thread.

mithr4ndr

Cable Smoosher
Oct 12, 2020
So...theoretically Ether shouldn't need fans since the top and bottom shells are completely vented, and the side and interior vents are large. I don't want to add to the component fan noise (CPU cooler, PSU fan, and GPU cooler) that will already be noticeable. A good example is the S4M where the entire case is ventilated and it doesn't need fans for intake or exhaust. I will add mounting holes for 60mm (possibly 80mm..I'll have to evaluate) fans on the floor of the case for intake and at the top for exhaust just so that the option is there. Unfortunately, since each chamber is so thin already (about 75mm) larger fans wouldn't fit. If it turns out that the case definitely needs intake/exhaust fans, then I could try to extend the height by 15mm and add a bracket (similar to the one seen on "Serum") that could fit two slim 120mm or 140mm fans for exhaust. The same could be done for the bottom. I'll look into maybe creating a bottom extension that wouldn't be visible with the case feet on that could house a thin 120mm or 140mm fan for intake.

@seven7thirty30 , how about temps for NVME in the backplate of the mobo? if that's blocked by the chamber wouldnt that be super hot?

other than that, this is exactly what i am looking for. all other sandwich style cases that can fit 3000 series are water cooling only :( no love for air coolers

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
@seven7thirty30 , how about temps for NVME in the backplate of the mobo? if that's blocked by the chamber wouldnt that be super hot?

other than that, this is exactly what i am looking for. all other sandwich style cases that can fit 3000 series are water cooling only :( no love for air coolers

There is an oversized cutout behind the motherboard interior panel that will allow an M.2 drive to "breathe". It's pretty close to the rear panel cutout, and with the GPU pulling in air there will be airflow over that area.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update:

Been putting in work with a few different manufacturers to get the prototype off the ground. I came across a few design issues that needed to be changed. Working on those now. I also have a few design changes that I'd like your opinion on, below.

Power Button: I decided to go with two different options on the power button location. One placed on the front bottom that wouldn't be visible, but would require at least 15mm tall feet so that you could access it, and one located on the rear panel. I can leave cutouts for both without affecting the appearance, so it could be left up to the end users' preference.

Front Panel: I created a "floating" front panel cover that extends the case length by 12mm, but it covers the off centered central air chamber cutout for a cleaner appearance while still providing airflow from the front. Let me know what you guys think.

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
I think the power button in the back is a nice touch. The front cover, It's nice, is it easily removable? Will it increase the cost of the case much?

Reactions: seven7thirty30

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
I think the power button in the back is a nice touch. The front cover, It's nice, is it easily removable? Will it increase the cost of the case much?

The more I look at the power button on the back, the more it grows on me. Personally, I wouldn't mind either placement. I going to do the same thing with Serum. It was challenging to design a way for the front panel cover to be mounted after the front panel was mounted, and while preserving the ability to remove the top and bottom shells independently. I wouldn't imagine the cost would be a problem since it's about the same material as the original front panel, but without cutouts.