CPU 5600x3D exclusive to Microcenter

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018

Rumors were true. AMD has one final swan song for the AM4 platform. I'm excited about this as I want to keep my board for a while longer, but was worried about cooling a 5800x3D. It is rated at the same 105w TDP, so I'll need to watch the reviews on July 6th before it launches on the 7th. I've got family close to a Microcenter that could grab one as this will be a really limited run. I wish it were a bit less.... However, at $230 and coming from Microcenter, I'm sure they will run some bundle deals/discounts.

Reactions: Skripka and rfarmer

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018

75 watts, performance better than 5700x in nearly every game, about 10% behind the 5800x3D. The video link starts at power consumption, but you can restart it if you want to see all the graphs.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If you're looking for a written review then Tom's Hardware has just posted one:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D Review: New Mid-Range Gaming Champ Is a Micro Center Exclusive | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Certainly, a good drop-in upgrade if you're running an older AM4 socket processor for a gaming PC, and you can actually get to a Microcenter to buy one.

I'd probably get one of these for my Louqe Ghost S1 build if they were readily available, as I think the Noctua NH-L12 Ghost cooler could probably handle this.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
They're thinking they can sell to influencers, reviewers and collectors, but it's really not as special. The 5800X3D will be the one to have long-term. But scalpers be scalpin'.

Reactions: AlexTSG and rfarmer

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018
Scalpers always gonna scalp.

I'm getting the 5600x3D for noise. Functioning at 75 watts vs 110 on the 5800x3D is a big difference. Under every condition, it will be easier and quieter to cool. I know an undervolt goes a long way on the 8-core part, but I would rather start at a smaller power envelope and go from there.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
Original poster
May 21, 2018
sigh

Microcenter, unlike most vendors, doesn't allow you to pay online for pick-up orders. This ruins my plans to acquire one, as I was relying on not-so-tech-savy family. I'll likely have to settle on a 5800x3D and undervolt it.