Cooling 40x20mm fan, what's the best?

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the noctua 40x20mms, or the Noiseblocker 40x20, and which is better.

Which pushes more air, which is quite ECT.
I have seen a few posts here saying the NB pushes more air and is quiter than the noctua 40x10, but nothing about the 20.

I am going to need 5 of them for a build, and want to make the best choice for airflow/noise.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
I have the NF-A4x20 and the NB-Blacksilent PM-1 and PM-2 on the way to test this. Amazon says they'll be here in about a week.

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
I have the NF-A4x20 and the NB-Blacksilent PM-1 and PM-2 on the way to test this. Amazon says they'll be here in about a week.

A week lol, shoot did they come from china? Well please please remember to let me know, I would greatly appreciate it :).

Looking at the specs, it appears if they are true, the Noctuas are slightly quieter and push slightly more air. Usually specs lie, but if there was 2 fan company's whos specs I would believe its noctua and noise blocker. So we will just have to see :).

Even then though there is other aspects, they arent poop brown, different accessories, PWM vs 3pin, all to come in a make a decision if the margins are small.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmyk78

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Ok Amazon says that the Noiseblockers will be here tomorrow and that the Noctua will be here Friday.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
I'm looking at this too. I currently have the Noctua 40x10 in my 3D printer and want to make it quieter.

The problem with the NB fans is that the RPMs are quite low. I don't think they can match the Noctua 40x20 at all with regards to air flow.

There's also the Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra. But it's a sleeve bearing fan so the longevity probably isn't as good as the Noctua.

Still on paper the Noctua seems the best option. Except the price of course.

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
I'm looking at this too. I currently have the Noctua 40x10 in my 3D printer and want to make it quieter.

The problem with the NB fans is that the RPMs are quite low. I don't think they can match the Noctua 40x20 at all with regards to air flow.

There's also the Scythe Mini Kaze Ultra. But it's a sleeve bearing fan so the longevity probably isn't as good as the Noctua.

Still on paper the Noctua seems the best option. Except the price of course.

You know what I thought the RPMs were the same, I see now there not even close lol. The best NB is 3800 the Noctua is 5k.

Ya I have seen videos of the Noctua and the Mini Kaze, the Kaze doesn't hold a candle to the Noctua I think the only one that could is the NB.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Fridays and Saturdays are my busy days, I'll try and get something up on Sunday though.

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Fridays and Saturdays are my busy days, I'll try and get something up on Sunday though.

Did you forget about us :(.

I think I am going to go with the black noise, as it would be easier to build a custom woring layout for the 3 fans on 1 header, which is a huge deal for my tiny case.

That is if they push even close to the air Noctuas do, from what Wade tells us. If it's a massive airflow diffrence same noise, then I will have to rethink.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Sorry, I got sick so I don't have an in depth write up for you, but my recommendation is to go with the Noctuas. They are quieter than the Blacknoises and have a less annoying sound profile. They also feel like they push more air. The Noctuas are also available in PWM variants.

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Sorry, I got sick so I don't have an in depth write up for you, but my recommendation is to go with the Noctuas. They are quieter than the Blacknoises and have a less annoying sound profile. They also feel like they push more air. The Noctuas are also available in PWM variants.

No in depth needed, that covers it all :p.

Wish the Noctuas had the short fan cable, oh well :(.