Cooling Quietest and Most Reliable Low Pro heatsink?

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
Hey guys, I am looking to find the quietest, and most reliable low profile CPU cooler.

I am moving my PF Sense to a 1u case for a new, on desk Rack build. Its going to be a 12u rack that will sit on my office desk, the servers are going to be water cooled, and I have considered adding the Firewall to the loop, but I would rather keep it on Air for ease if possible.

I will be coating the inside of the rack (which is fully closed,) with soundproofing foam, to nix out hard drive noise as best as I can. However still looking for the most silent firewall possible.

I have not actually decided fully on a CPU for it yet, it will either be a E3 1240 V6 (72w TDP) or a 1240L V5 (25w TDP).

I am leaning toward the V6, for it though (not that it will be fully utilized most of the time).

Also if anyone has used both the Black Silent Pro 40x20, and the A4x20, which moves more air? and is the noise difference huge? I have seen some comparisons on here, but I think they were talking about the a4x10 vs the NB. Though the black is leaning me that direction better than the brown lol.

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
Hey guys, I am looking to find the quietest, and most reliable low profile CPU cooler.

I am moving my PF Sense to a 1u case for a new, on desk Rack build. Its going to be a 12u rack that will sit on my office desk, the servers are going to be water cooled, and I have considered adding the Firewall to the loop, but I would rather keep it on Air for ease if possible.

I will be coating the inside of the rack (which is fully closed,) with soundproofing foam, to nix out hard drive noise as best as I can. However still looking for the most silent firewall possible.

I have not actually decided fully on a CPU for it yet, it will either be a E3 1240 V6 (72w TDP) or a 1240L V5 (25w TDP).

I am leaning toward the V6, for it though (not that it will be fully utilized most of the time).

Also if anyone has used both the Black Silent Pro 40x20, and the A4x20, which moves more air? and is the noise difference huge? I have seen some comparisons on here, but I think they were talking about the a4x10 vs the NB. Though the black is leaning me that direction better than the brown lol.

The only good Cooler for a 1U-Case would be this one:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...417&cm_re=Engine_27_1U-_-35-106-417-_-Product

...if you want to go the Linus way then buy the largest Copper chunk that you can find, slap it on it and strap 4x20mm Fans on the side with Ducktape. :p

...but seriously, all the other use 4mm radial fans with around 7000rpm and 57dBa output :(

Last edited:

Cyber Locc

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 16, 2017
The only good Cooler for a 1U-Case would be this one:
https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16835106417R

...if you want to go the Linus way then buy the largest Copper chunk that you can find, slap it on it and strap 4x20mm Fans on the side with Ducktape. :p

...but seriously, all the other use 4mm radial fans with around 7000rpm and 57dBa output :(

I thought about that one, however everything I read says that thing sounds like a banshee too lol.

I actually will have 3, 40mm 20mm fans mms from the heatsink (kind like linuses setup, but he wasn't using a board designed for that cooling method I am) My boards ram is on top, and the CPU is right against the 3 fan locations in the case.

Here is the board so you can see what I mean.

As you can see from Asus marketing, its actually designed to do just that lol. There is maybe, 20mms from the edge of the fans, and the edge of the board, the case is only 10 inches deep with the ears i do believe (from pics its an inch at most, which I could make up for with shrouds if I went that way)

My concern with that method, other than the feeling that hunk of aluminum is not worth 40 dollars..... Is how fast and loud would the fans need to be for that to work, would 5k RPM Noctuas actually cool that hunk?

However I was thinking that cpu layout, and fan location may lend a hand to coolers like the one you linked. As it now has more air through it/across it.

Last edited:

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
I thought about that one, however everything I read says that thing sounds like a banshee too lol.

I actually will have 3, 40mm 20mm fans mms from the heatsink (kind like linuses setup, but he wasn't using a board designed for that cooling method I am) My boards ram is on top, and the CPU is right against the 3 fan locations in the case.

Here is the board so you can see what I mean.

As you can see from Asus marketing, its actually designed to do just that lol. There is maybe, 20mms from the edge of the fans, and the edge of the board, the case is only 10 inches deep with the ears i do believe (from pics its an inch at most, which I could make up for with shrouds if I went that way)

My concern with that method, other than the feeling that hunk of aluminum is not worth 40 dollars..... Is how fast and loud would the fans need to be for that to work, would 5k RPM Noctuas actually cool that hunk?

However I was thinking that cpu layout, and fan location may lend a hand to coolers like the one you linked. As it now has more air through it/across it.
Yea, it will sound like the end piece of a valium cleaner Pipe (Only the noise from the passing air) and a humming noise of a siren.... but that isn't that bad.

You could use old fans and strip the Hub out for the Shroud as a spacer or you get something 3d Printed. :)