Prototype 3L18 - 5.8l Cube

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Thinking about it more... I think a bottom fan would be better than a front fan. The front fan wouldn't affect the CPU much since the ram would be blocking it. It would help the GPU and PSU temps, but I think if it was on the bottom it would be most effective. However, it wouldn't be a cube because you'd have to add 15mm taller just for the fan and another 10-15 for breathing room. This would make the case ~ 180x180x(205-210) making it bring it up to 6.65L(10mm breathing room)-6.81L(15mm breathing room). So perhaps OP's lack of fan is the most optimal solution.

4cm fan should be able to fit to the front to help cooling PSU a bit

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Scrolling on taobao, and realized this is very similar to the mc18 by mechanical master, yours is a little smaller according to their specs(185x185x185)

Now you made me a bit unhappy.
That one cute cube for actually a quite good price.

Anyways. I made a couple of changes to the design based on the feedback, so I'm going to print it out and upload some pictures of the build process.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Now you made me a bit unhappy.
That one cute cube for actually a quite good price.

Anyways. I made a couple of changes to the design based on the feedback, so I'm going to print it out and upload some pictures of the build process.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! :( I just happened to see it.

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to! :( I just happened to see it.

That's alright. I surely wasn't the first person in the world to come with this idea :D
It's good you spotted it, I'm not really checking out sites like Taobao or Alibaba.
Yet I have to admit they are quite clever and they've already implemented some changes I was only thinking about and some I didn't even think of.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well done on the prototype case. The inner core looks sturdy. I think those parts work well as-is if the outer materials were acrylic :)

Reactions: Napybara

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Thank you.
On the pictures most of it is PLA except the sides which are PETG.
I'm currently printing PETG only version with couple of tweaks and changes. Takes about 60 hours to print it at the moment.

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
just saw this case!! very well put together and interesting design on putten the PSU between the GPU an CPU, im not going to adress the GPU becasue people already did, but if this was made out of metal it would be a very nice one in this sff community! :)

Reactions: Napybara

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
just saw this case!! very well put together and interesting design on putten the PSU between the GPU an CPU, im not going to adress the GPU becasue people already did, but if this was made out of metal it would be a very nice one in this sff community! :)
The plan is to make it metal at the end :)
At the moment it is plastic as it is just easier for me to prototype.

Reactions: Plaklijm

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Regarding fan at the bottom of the case have one issue. The cube would have to have stands and quite high do allow enough airflow.
Will definitely check on it and try some ideas

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Sorry for being a piece of shit with so many posts ... If the GPU compartment + PSU compartment is about 120mm in depth(40mm GPU + 4mm spine + about 10mm empty space for PSU airflow +63.5mm thick sfx PSU) ... Then you could put a slim 120mm fan under those 2 components

Edit: this would be able to be added w/o adding any additional dimensions to the case.
Yep. That should fit. It will be close, but it should.

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
v0.2 - 30/12/2019
So. Based on the feedback I did a couple of changes and learned something:
1. Added 12cm fan at the bottom. I wasn't able to test it out yet, but I pretty sure the low profile will fit. Full size is really questionable as it takes quite an amount of space.
2. Placed SSD on to "PCI Bridge"
3. Flex ATX is "nono" in this case, so it definitely SFX only. Flex is too long, so the cables do not have enough space to properly bend and spread.
4. Moved the button to my desired location. To the corner on the motherboard side.
5. Reworked the outer shell. As part of it, I hid all the screws and clean the joins. You can see space on some edges, but that's because of how many cables are trying to fit into such a small space. It won't be an issue in metal design I assume, but I will try to come up with a cleaner solution.
6. Reworked the design so most of the parts should be cuttable from metal sheets and then bent if needed.
View attachment 337 View attachment 338
View attachment 336 View attachment 339

Reactions: Plaklijm