Concept 8 Liter cube with EK-MLC 140mm Support

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hey guys,

I've been pretty intrigued by EK's MLC Phoenix line of coolers lately, and in particular the Core radiator components as they integrate a DDC, Reservoir, Fan hub and a good quality radiator and fan into a single unit and allow you to add in a proper waterblock for optimal performance.

I've been most interested in seeing how I could incorporate the single 140mm variant into a highly compact system that would allow usage of a high powered CPU that could be overclocked along with an ITX GPU and an SFX PSU.
I've come up with a design which is frankly not very original at all, it uses a pretty common layout and design - just with specific proportions to not waste space and still allow for optimal cooling of each component.

I have not modeled anything yet, cos I was first eager to get feedback on the rough scribbles below that I could then update the designs with any feedback and create a model then and see how well it works out.

Link to Album

The chassis would be roughly 250mm x 150mm x 210mm which works out to 7.875, so rounding up to about 8L
With an EK-MLC 140mm radiator you would be limited to a 170mm GPU.
Without the MLC unit though, there would be space for a 120mm AIO in the front with up to a 230mm long GPU which would open up options a fair bit for shorter dual fan GPU's.
You could also mount dual 92mm fans in the front.

For the size it would be relatively flexible although far from the most flexible in its class due to GPU length restrictions, this was more an experiment for me to see HOW compact a case could be based around one of these EK Core radiators to allow for a custom loop in a tiny space.

If there is already a case like this in existence I'd be interested to see it, and I'm also interested in community feedback and changes people would make.
Hopefully the imbed link worked for the photos of my doodles...

Cheers,

Taspr.

EDIT: So whenever I try to paste an IMGUR album it comes up with
Code:
Template public:_media_site_embed_imgur not found.
Not sure if there's something different I have to do, but whenever I try to use the Image link it just says something went wrong...

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
EDIT: So whenever I try to paste an IMGUR album it comes up with
Code:
Template public:_media_site_embed_imgur not found.
Not sure if there's something different I have to do, but whenever I try to use the Image link it just says something went wrong...
I think they are working on it, a fix is needed for imgur images to work with the new forum layout

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Okay, got progress on this as I have been in touch with PC Design foundry who will be helping with design and fabrication of the case.

Gonna post some photos of the CAD render a bit later, but may move this from a concept thread to custom case thread once I've confirmed the design and made the payment.

Will probably be a bit bigger than 8 litres to just make sure it all works and doesn't leave me with any restrictions or space conflicts.