Prototype 3L18 - 5.8l Cube

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Hi,

I’m currently in process of developing probably the smallest real ITX cube possible and I would like to know your feedback.

it is 18cm long in every dimension.
At the moment the inner part of the core variable space where you can either fit SFX PSU.

The prototype is 3D printed and as such the construction is thicker than it should be on the final version which should be steel or aluminum.

v0.2 - 30/12/2019
So. Based on the feedback I did a couple of changes and learned something:
1. Added 12cm fan at the bottom. I wasn't able to test it out yet, but I pretty sure the low profile will fit. Full size is really questionable as it takes quite an amount of space.
2. Placed SSD on to "PCI Bridge"

3. Flex ATX is "nono" in this case, so it definitely SFX only. Flex is too long, so the cables do not have enough space to properly bend and spread.
4. Moved the button to my desired location. To the corner on the motherboard side.
5. Reworked the outer shell. As part of it, I hid all the screws and clean the joins. You can see space on some edges, but that's because of how many cables are trying to fit into such a small space. It won't be an issue in metal design I assume, but I will try to come up with a cleaner solution.
6. Reworked the design so most of the parts should be cuttable from metal sheets and then bent if needed.
IMG_0130.jpg IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg IMG_0128.jpg

v0.1
Of course outer shell is not decided yet, it is just to allow airflow out.

Thank you for all your feedback.

Last edited:

Sharknose

Average Stuffer
Jan 4, 2019
Looks great so far. I think the cube shape can work well with the ITX form factor, and can offer some very interesting designs. Not clear from the photos how the case and inner core go together. Please keep us updated.

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I like the combination of the sandwich layout and the cube form factor. Does the PSU get very hot in the middle?

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
Hi,

I’m currently in process of developing probably the smallest real ITX cube possible and I would like to know your feedback.

it is 18cm long in every dimension.
At the moment the inner part of the core variable space where you can either fit sfx psu or flex + hdd.

The prototype is 3D printed and as such the construction is thicker than it should be on final version which should be steel or aluminium.

Of course outer shell is not decided yet, it is just to allow airflow out.

Inner core:

Thank you for all your feedback.
If it was enclosed, a 120 or 140mm fan would help a lot at the front. Even if just a slim fan.

A 120mm-140mm slim fan sounds like a good idea. Is it possible to add one while retaining the same measurements?

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
A 129mm-140mm slim fan sounds like a good idea. Is it possible to add one while retaining the same measurements?
It would depend on how close the chassis is to the internal structure

EDIT: you weren't asking me lol.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Bottom fan would be nice too. (Probably not a top fan, simply due to the fact that the whole center compartment is blocked on top from the pcie riser cable).

~~Another idea could be a 200mm fan on the front for very quiet airflow (I don't know the dimensions of the case, so this might not even work but it would be very unique) :) by the looks of it it's probably ~180mm square.~~

EDIT. Must be 180mmx180mmx180mm because that's 5.8L. lol

Reactions: rfarmer

newzealot

Caliper Novice
Jul 26, 2019
Are additional fans really needed? This design looks like it can be fanless.

I wonder if the psu fan work well being sandwiched like that.

My only dislike is the power button and its placement.

Otherwise this would be very ideal.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Thinking about it more... I think a bottom fan would be better than a front fan. The front fan wouldn't affect the CPU much since the ram would be blocking it. It would help the GPU and PSU temps, but I think if it was on the bottom it would be most effective. However, it wouldn't be a cube because you'd have to add 15mm taller just for the fan and another 10-15 for breathing room. This would make the case ~ 180x180x(205-210) making it bring it up to 6.65L(10mm breathing room)-6.81L(15mm breathing room). So perhaps OP's lack of fan is the most optimal solution.

Reactions: Napybara

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Sorry for being a piece of shit with so many posts ... If the GPU compartment + PSU compartment is about 120mm in depth(40mm GPU + 4mm spine + about 10mm empty space for PSU airflow +63.5mm thick sfx PSU) ... Then you could put a slim 120mm fan under those 2 components

Edit: this would be able to be added w/o adding any additional dimensions to the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBJ

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019

That’s why I thought a fan could help. The PSU looks like it will get pretty warm when the other components heat things up.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
....ok I'll stop after this, lol.

You could probably manage 1-2x 2.5 ssds between the PSU and the pcie riser cable. It looks like the only un-used spot. :)

Alright, I think I'm done commenting for a little while. I'll check back after work lol. :D

Reactions: PBJ

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019

You could probably manage 1-2x 2.5 ssds between the PSU and the pcie riser cable. It looks like the only un-used spot. :)

Alright, I think I'm done commenting for a little while. I'll check back after work lol. :D
Or a fan....j/k ? You guys seem way more knowledgeable than me. I’ll just stick a fan wherever I can

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Looks great so far. I think the cube shape can work well with the ITX form factor, and can offer some very interesting designs. Not clear from the photos how the case and inner core go together. Please keep us updated.

At this moment the top and bottom cover get mounted on the core first, then the back and front get's mounted on top and bottom and then the side.

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
I like the combination of the sandwich layout and the cube form factor. Does the PSU get very hot in the middle?
The current PSU gets about 50 degrees. flex might be better option I guess, but I will have to try it first :)

If it was enclosed, a 120 or 140mm fan would help a lot at the front. Even if just a slim fan.
Unfortunatelly there is about 4mm space between motherboard and front cover as the case is just 10mm wider than the motherboard

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019

Yeah. I'm currently working on v0.2 and power button will go into the corner.
I also agree that additional fans should not be needed.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
The current PSU gets about 50 degrees. flex might be better option I guess, but I will have to try it first :)

Unfortunatelly there is about 4mm space between motherboard and front cover as the case is just 10mm wider than the motherboard
Sorry for being a piece of shit with so many posts ... If the GPU compartment + PSU compartment is about 120mm in depth(40mm GPU + 4mm spine + about 10mm empty space for PSU airflow +63.5mm thick sfx PSU) ... Then you could put a slim 120mm fan under those 2 components

Edit: this would be able to be added w/o adding any additional dimensions to the case.
This would be a better option.

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
Thinking about it more... I think a bottom fan would be better than a front fan. The front fan wouldn't affect the CPU much since the ram would be blocking it. It would help the GPU and PSU temps, but I think if it was on the bottom it would be most effective. However, it wouldn't be a cube because you'd have to add 15mm taller just for the fan and another 10-15 for breathing room. This would make the case ~ 180x180x(205-210) making it bring it up to 6.65L(10mm breathing room)-6.81L(15mm breathing room). So perhaps OP's lack of fan is the most optimal solution.
Exactly this. It won't be 18cm cube.

Napybara

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019

1 SDD will fit for sure and I plan it to mount it just bellow the PCI bridge.