Log ~2L 11th Gen i5 & Turing dGPU

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Nuc Board Pro w/ 1145G7, 16GB 3200MHz Ram, 512GB SSD (M.2 Sata), GTX 1650 LP (Zotac GDDR6 version) via M.2 to PCIe and 200W Meanwell 12V PSU.
GPU was deshrouded (80mm slim cooler master fans), LM replaced TIM on CPU cooler. Temps in the 60s for both CPU and GPU when gaming, low 70s for CPU stress test (OCCT no AVX).

Reactions: dealda

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 18, 2019
Nice job on this! Those are some crazy-tight clearances. I like that custom shroud on the cooler. Any plans for a custom backplate?

I can't believe 88 people have visited this page and only 2 chose to reply :( RIP SFF.Network

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Nice job on this! Those are some crazy-tight clearances. I like that custom shroud on the cooler. Any plans for a custom backplate?

I can't believe 88 people have visited this page and only 2 chose to reply :( RIP SFF.Network
Yeah, I laid everything out and thought the case was going to more than big enough, but when you have to angle things in and then account for connectors, etc it really was almost perfect.
I wouldn't mind a case that was 10-12mm shorter and a little less deep since I do have plenty of room in those areas and it would squeeze it under 2L but outside of something custom (that wouldn't look as clean).

With regards to the backplate, I had some scrap perforated metal sheet laying around and knocked up this today to finish it up. It's not perfect but should suffice and since its mounted behind the TV not like it's really seen.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Impressive work, especially that you manage to keep the front, top & bottom panels intact.

I'm not familiar with that motherboard. Does it accept 12v directly from the Meanwell PSU, meaning no DC-ATX plug unit is required?

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Impressive work, especially that you manage to keep the front, top & bottom panels intact.

I'm not familiar with that motherboard. Does it accept 12v directly from the Meanwell PSU, meaning no DC-ATX plug unit is required?
Yep most if not all (at least for the recent variants) of the NUC Pro models support 12-19V DC input, the Pro models also tend to have an internal 4pin molex connector (kinda like a mini EPS socket) on the board too.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Looking at the thread title made me wonder how a 2 liters build could be possible with a dGPU!
Never thought of adding a GPU to a NUC, clever idea and great build all around, congrats! :thumb:

From what I see you have kept the CPU stock cooler and have added a duct to it.
You already have impressive temps while gaming, but I guess your combo could be replaced by a regular desktop CPU for more silence maybe.

Yep most if not all (at least for the recent variants) of the NUC Pro models support 12-19V DC input
Being a fan of 12V builds myself, I will keep note of that!

Very inspiring, thanx a lot!

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Looking at the thread title made me wonder how a 2 liters build could be possible with a dGPU!
Never thought of adding a GPU to a NUC, clever idea and great build all around, congrats! :thumb:

From what I see you have kept the CPU stock cooler and have added a duct to it.
You already have impressive temps while gaming, but I guess your combo could be replaced by a regular desktop CPU for more silence maybe.

Being a fan of 12V builds myself, I will keep note of that!

Very inspiring, thanx a lot!
Yep, I haven't tested with the duct extensively yet, but I don't think it should make things worse than when I just have some plastic sheet on to try and keep the cooler drawing fresh air.
The major upgrade to the cooler adding liquid metal, made a difference of 10-15C.
I would like to add a proper CPU cooler, but unfortunately the included cooler's cold plate incorporates some VRM cooling and also some of the components on the board sit higher than the CPU die so any replacement cooler would need a cold plate about the size of the CPU die that sits about 5mm or so below the rest of the cooler. Not to mention the unique bolt pattern for the cooler mounting.
I've thought about removing (unsoldering) the heatpipes and rear fins from the current cooler allowing me to retain the stock cold plate and then trying to solder something like an L9i on top of it, but I don't know if I have the clearance to do that and I don't want to mess up the cooler I have since I haven't been able to source any replacements.
TBH, the temps are fine, its just the noise that I'd like to lower, but it sits behind a TV about 8-10ft from where I sit so the noise is mostly a non issue.

Reactions: NateDawg72 and BaK

Da_Korn

Average Stuffer
Dec 30, 2019
Very very cool PC you built there. I like those 12v Nuc and STX etc. builds, where Space efficiency is important.
Your Build gives me inspiration for some projects and ideas.

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Thanks, I would have loved to do a custom case and get under sub 2L with no wasted space but I don't really have the tools for that.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Very happy to see a NUC + discrete GPU build. I've wanted to do this for a long time and bought some parts already but I keep having to put it in the backlog.

If you don't mind me asking, has this build not working out for you? What would you do differently if you could?

Edit: since you're asking for buyers just reminding to get this posted in the Trade section of the forum if you haven't already

Reactions: GuilleAcoustic

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Very happy to see a NUC + discrete GPU build. I've wanted to do this for a long time and bought some parts already but I keep having to put it in the backlog.

If you don't mind me asking, has this build not working out for you? What would you do differently if you could?

Edit: since you're asking for buyers just reminding to get this posted in the Trade section of the forum if you haven't already

Honestly there isn't much I would do differently, maybe get a m.2 to PCIe adapter with a custom cable length and that is about it, not that it makes any difference when it's assembled.

It has been great, I have just realized it was overkill for my needs and has gotten very little use. I built it has a high end emulation system to wall mount discreetly behind my TV, but it really doesn't get as much use as I had planned (the TV is often occupied for TV purposes, I had envisioned family gaming nights with 4 player Mario Kart 8, while enjoying some BOTW in 4K by myself at other times).
But it is getting replaced my a softmodded WiiU since I can utilize the gamepad to play on while the TV is occupied, a downgrade in emulation compatibility and graphics, but an upgrade in flexibility.

I will post a dedicated B/S/T thread soon, just waiting on a wireless card to come in (proboards don't come with them as standard and personally I didn't need one).

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Damn tight build. Impressive!

I immediately recognized that epp-200. And you got my dream lp gpu.

Your system coupled with my roadrunner battery solution, perfect 4 hours portable pc easy.

Just like you tho, i think even my current pc is overkill for my use. Plans be plans, amirite?

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
nice,
reminds me of my test pc at work (dell prescision 3240) thing is tiny, only a bit larger than this with an RTX quadro 3000 and 10700.

just need to make a shroud or slightly beefier cpu cooler and nice backplate and this thing will go from cool to epic.

jakejm79

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
nice,
reminds me of my test pc at work (dell prescision 3240) thing is tiny, only a bit larger than this with an RTX quadro 3000 and 10700.

just need to make a shroud or slightly beefier cpu cooler and nice backplate and this thing will go from cool to epic.
There really is no need for better cooling, it will maintain its max all core boost clock indefinitely under an all core load (CB r20) and is still about 20-30C off from thermal throttling. Maybe the backplate good be tidied up a little, but I feel the current mesh one does a good job of ventilation, plus you don't really see it anyway. Unless you didn't see the update in post #5 with the shroud and backplate in place.