Power Supply 2 psu setup solution?

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Add2psu syncs 2 or more atx psus. The idea is one main psu powers the motherboard, while others power gpus. I said gpus because these started off at cryptomining scene where you'll have like 6 gpus plugged into x1 to x16 powered usb riser. Norm motherboard won't be able to power this many gpus, so each gpus are powered separately. This way you can use 2 or 3 500W psus, split the loads between them.

Now you can just jump these psus and have them powered all the time, but it means if your mobo is turned off your other separately powered gpus will still be on.

Using add2psu gives a cleaner solution where ps_on signal is replicated throughout so that these gpus turn on and off according to the mobo.

Reactions: mijffs

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I bought a couple of these (one molex, one SATA powered) when I discovered them on AliExpress (at $1.50 each, why not?). Haven't had a reason to use them yet, but I can imagine them becoming useful for testing etc. later. Can't see why they wouldn't work relatively well, as the circuit is extremely simple. My only worry would be how quickly it engages the secondary PSU, as a slow start might cause issues on POST with devices powered by the secondary PSU not being found. Still, I can't think this is actually an issue given how prevalent these seem to be.

Reactions: Choidebu

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Electromechanical SSRs are, mechanical, so the problem with these is usually related to age, e.g slower when seldom used, wear and tear if often used or just plain old.

I imagine we can test their switching time by chaining identical PSUs and multiple units of these.