Concept 10liters double 360Rad Pc

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I have to disagree,

i have seen quite a few downvolted SFF builds. This does not make sense to me, or to corsair (one) or digitalstorm (bolt) and it isindeed a much more important compromise than size for many.

A small custom loop is both powerful and, well, small. It does not have to be the smallest otherwise we would all buy mac minis or ARMs.

It should tick all boxes, and if while doing so you need 380mm length then so be it.

A professional could render on the go, without (IMO) reducing by some % his performance while spending the full amount of money. Gaming on a small desk sitting the case horizontally under the screen...

By exploiting hardware i mean overclock it, squeezing as much performance per dollar as possible

380x220x140 is not a niche case, especially for around 150$. (obviously these are very rough guesstimations). Lessons about this come from Ncase, NZXT, LianLi.........

Look at Sliger SV590, getting reeeeeeeeeeeeally close to it

without radiator it could also become a 6x120 (3 in 3 out) fans case... also a very good air cooling option

Hope to get some constructive and peaceful discussion going, peace and love

The niche case is that you'd have to be both a custom water cooler and an SFF builder. It wouldn't make business sense because you need to invest a lot of money and time and your addressable market is small.

It'd be impossible for $150 out of metal unless you're direct out of China. Made in USA or a proper manufacturer it'd be for at least $220. Even sliger who directly owns all the capital to manufacture the cases sells them for as much. But even then, price wouldn't really be a hindrance, since if you're custom watercooling, especially a small specialized build, you'd be spending a lot on the loop and you'd have a lot of experience.

Concerning undervolting it makes the most sense. Undervolt is tuning for performance/Watt. Since cooling capability is correlated with volume, and we're all about going smaller, then why would you leave performance/Watt in the table?

Sv590 works because it is designed for AIO and regular gpu, not a custom loop, though there is space for it.

A 280mm makes more sense. Close in performance with 360, and the dimensions would match components better. Even when rendering, you often don't saturate both gpu and cpu at the same time.

But I'm not saying the idea is impossible, just that it'd be tough to sell a pure water cooling case. If it's solid and has merit, then someone should invest in it.

Last edited:

Bfw99

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hey guys thanks for all your reactions and ideas.

Ill explain why i want to build this :) .
i want to build this pc just because i want to and i want to learn new things. i want to learn of watercooling more and of metalworking. well why those dimensions than? because i have a node 202 right now and that doesnt fit in my bag. so i want to have a pc that is small, can fit in a bag with the 90mm*270mm*410mm dimensions and a pc thats watercooled.

so for everyone who says the fat rads is a batter option: yes and no... yes it has better cooling capacity but no it cant fit in my concept build and no it wont cool better than 2*thin radiators.

i hope this makes it clear for everyone why i wanna do this and what the idea behind it is.

Thanks for the support already and ill try to keep you guys updated!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I would second the proposal to make a single FAT 360x60 rad case with 120x25 standard fans
[...]
[...]
380x220x140 is not a niche case, especially for around 150$. (obviously these are very rough guesstimations).
[...]
Hope to get some constructive and peaceful discussion going, peace and love
Those dimensions aren't really close to working. They imply a sandwich layout, but a 60mm thick rad + 25mm fans + 170mm mini-ITX motherboard = 255mm, without any extra clearances or accounting for panel thickness. Figure at least 270mm tall, not including feet. Also 360 rads are typically at or near 400mm long, not 380mm. So at a minimum you're probably looking at more like 415x270x140mm for this layout.

Bfw99

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
How will you address the issues I brought up? Your current plan can't get to those dimensions.
i changed it a bit. 1* 360 and 1*240 radiator + putting the powersupply in a different place.

this way you can stay in between 90mm of height because the radiators will not be interfering with the psu.
and the wideness of the case can also stay 270 because the psu can be fitted under de gpu so it will be from top to bottem: mobo gpu psu. that is 170+135+100 thats 405 and that fits lengthwise.

so i taught about it and i kinda fixed the problem :)

Bfw99

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
i changed it a bit. 1* 360 and 1*240 radiator + putting the powersupply in a different place.

this way you can stay in between 90mm of height because the radiators will not be interfering with the psu.
and the wideness of the case can also stay 270 because the psu can be fitted under de gpu so it will be from top to bottem: mobo gpu psu. that is 170+135+100 thats 405 and that fits lengthwise.

so i taught about it and i kinda fixed the problem
Edit: Oops got it wrong..... didnt fix it

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015

so i taught about it and i kinda fixed the problem
So that seems more feasible:

There's some uncertainly with the precise location of the ports on the GPU waterblock, as these could interfere with the PSU depending how far forward they are.

Also consider whether you want the AC cable sticking out the side, or a right-angle cable routed to the back, which needs some extra clearance.

Reactions: CountNoctua

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
So that seems more feasible:

There's some uncertainly with the precise location of the ports on the GPU waterblock, as these could interfere with the PSU depending how far forward they are.

Also consider whether you want the AC cable sticking out the side, or a right-angle cable routed to the back, which needs some extra clearance.

That does seem more feasible, though I'm not sure there's room to properly store/route the cables and keep the pump/reservoir.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
That does seem more feasible, though I'm not sure there's room to properly store/route the cables and keep the pump/reservoir.
There's enough space at the front for a small pump/res like the XSPC Ion:

Though I guess the Ion pump/res is discontinued, so maybe a low profile CPU pump/block like the Alphacool Eisbaer LT and use the space at the front for a res.

Also I completely forgot to add fans:

90mm doesn't leave much space between the rads and the motherboard, and is kind of pushing it. Airflow for sure won't be great under there. Also this is going to push past 90mm and closer to 100mm for the actual case.

Last edited:

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
There's enough space at the front for a small pump/res like the XSPC Ion:

I wasn't sure if OP was going for combo unit, but that definitely makes sense as a space saver. Don't know if it's strong enough for a two radiator loop, though it's a short loop as far as tubing by necessity, anyway.

This would be a cool project to pull off, though I would be wary about reliability.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I wasn't sure if OP was going for combo unit, but that definitely makes sense as a space saver. Don't know if it's strong enough for a two radiator loop, though it's a short loop as far as tubing by necessity, anyway.
True, the smaller pumps might not be adequate for two blocks, two rads, and presumably a bunch of right angle fittings. There's potentially room for a DDC in the back corner though.

Bfw99

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 5, 2019
Hey guys
Thanks for all the help again and thinking with me. as i mentioned earlier: I have a solution for the airflow problem.
The top will be kinda movable. in each corner there will be threaded feet which will make it possible top move the top higher, so it will have more breahting room.
(I know all these ideas of mine added up sound absolutely bonkers but i think i can make it work! :) )

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
Couple things you've overlooked. Sketchup quickie to illustrate:

You've forgotten to account for room the PSU cables will need, particularly where they overlap the motherboard. Rotating the PSU 90 degrees solves the problem, but does make it over 300mm deep. Also SFX is 125x100mm, not 120x100mm.

Here's your full layout, more or less, from what I can determine from your sketches:

Looks like the height of the case would end up over 100mm with this arrangement. Looking at a minimum volume of maybe 13-14L.

Edit: or I guess you wanted it arranged this way?

Dimensions are the same either way.

This is genuinely beautiful! does dual 420 radiator happen to fit the width of an ITX board + SFX PSU? really have no skill in CAD so if it isn't too much hassle, I would really appreciate a glance.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
This is genuinely beautiful! does dual 420 radiator happen to fit the width of an ITX board + SFX PSU? really have no skill in CAD so if it isn't too much hassle, I would really appreciate a glance.

You don't need CAD to mockup, Sketchup is pretty easy to use and free for their online version. There are publicly shared models (some in the "Resources" forum here, as well as elsewhere online) of components you can just copy and paste into a mockup. Literally just started doing that to come up with a plan for a new build, though I'm also starting to learn CAD so I can eventually make my own cases.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Really like what you've got going here, but a little bit of advice:
  • Be ready for piles of critique from this community, and embrace the feedback
  • learn a CAD program. It seems hard, but is in fact very easy.
  • and most importantly: don't lose sight of the goal
Best of luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you make!

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So two triple 140 rads? Triples are over 450mm long, I think dual 140s makes more sense to better match the size of the other components:

The 20.5mm thick XPSC rads are only available for 120mm fans though, so I've used 30mm thick rads here, making the whole thing a bit taller.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I would be tempted to build that ^ myself if I could justify it. Possibly could need the cooling potential for 3950X and a dual GPU setup, though ideally they would be mini/ITX-friendly GPUs (sadly no 2080 Ti or high-end Navi option like this, yet) running off bifurcated PCI-e. Been toying with the idea for a while now, though, but not in that side-by-side layout, which would be nice for a bag or case.

Last edited:

For_Science

Master of Cramming
Feb 16, 2018
So two triple 140 rads? Triples are over 450mm long, I think dual 140s makes more sense to better match the size of the other components:

The 20.5mm thick XPSC rads are only available for 120mm fans though, so I've used 30mm thick rads here, making the whole thing a bit taller.
Beautiful renders! I think a triple may be suitable for somebody wanting a bigger pump like a D5 pump/res. Obviously slightly outside SFF range perhaps but I think its still a beautifully dense layout (in my opinion)

For example, I would imagine that with a triple, you would have the last 140 mm part of the triple rad completely exposed for mounting a D5 pump/res combo, while also having space for an SFX-L PSU (not that you would need one, but anyway).

I can imagine as a wall mounted PC, or perhaps a open case-y design, it could be quite attractive. Thanks for your time :) :)

Edit: On second thought, you could probably fit a D5 like pump/res combo on the side of the whole thing and save some space

Last edited: