Log 1.76L i7-7700+quadro p1000 mobile workstation

forum username

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
First off. Thanks to everyone in the community for all the great info shared here. I would not have been able to do any part of this build without the SFF community support and willingness to share.

This build utilizes modified Skyslots invented by Josh of NFC that he has kindly shared in his build files. Credit where credit is due! THANK YOU JOSH

to the build:

exterior dimensions:
191x181x51mm
8gauge/3.2mm aluminum 5052 alloy laser cut (sendcutsend)

hardware:
i7-7700, supermicro X11-SSV-Q mobo, 32gb ddr4 2400mhz, nvme drive, quadro p1000, "250w" 12v psu, 120 watt off-the-shelf ac-dc power supply.

I'll note for anyone else interested in a similar build. an X11SCV-Q motherboard would be less work to use.
I'll also be switching to a wx4100 for added compatibility with OSX and Linux.

OS: Currently on Win7 (supermicro bios has some features that make this installation easier) so YES...this can win7 build can be used to stream 4k netflix using just igpu.

and excuse my welds...still learning and will be going back and filling/grinding. this is however a pure function mobile build.

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Great work, those Supermicro ITXboards really look handy to use.
I have seen a used Q87 one for sale locally, but what you have would be ideal for my i5 7500T that is unused in a drawer.

I admire your hands on attitude to modding the board, braver than I would be !

forum username

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Great work, those Supermicro ITXboards really look handy to use.
I have seen a used Q87 one for sale locally, but what you have would be ideal for my i5 7500T that is unused in a drawer.

I admire your hands on attitude to modding the board, braver than I would be !
Thanks! Yeah I'm very much more of a "just make it work" early in projects/proof-of-concept, then refine. If you are looking for a nice small build for that i5-7500t check out the acer veriton n 4640g motherboard. Parts or barebones systems pop up for cheap on eBay semi frequently.

Reactions: Arboreal

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the heads up on the Veriton N4640G, not something I was aware of. I'll kepp an eye out on ebay
Also spotted what looks like an X11SSV-Q on ebay, finishes tonight and is 20GBP currently.
I'd rather have an H110 DeskMini or a Q170T thin ITX board as they're brick powered and take an M.2 SSD

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nice job with the case. I really like the layout, it's like those mini Lenovo or HP desktops that have those low profile GPUs.
You really should get the WX4100 if you can, it's not a bad little card.

Reactions: forum username

forum username

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Nice job with the case. I really like the layout, it's like those mini Lenovo or HP desktops that have those low profile GPUs.
You really should get the WX4100 if you can, it's not a bad little card.
agreed. It would make for quite a nice quad boot mobile (w7,w10,osx,linux) i'm in full ebay mode with alerts setup for each wx4100 part number variation :D only a matter of time now, looks like some go for $120ish range.

forum username

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Just a quick update talking about the GIF above. I switched over to wx4100 on the 1.76L and am running it with 120w amazon external brick, great little machine capable of W7, W10, Linux and OSX.

4 builds in the works

build1 (pictured in GIF as well for size comparison)
2.45L displacement using:
-asrock x570 tb3 itx board (thunderbolt for the win)
-ryzen 2700
-wx5100 8gb gpu
-loque cobalt pcie riser
-debroglie dc-atx psu
-xbox 220w 12v ac-dc power supply
status: still refining it. Not happy with the power supply situation, have been hitting overload protection on the xbox power supply at 180w total draw from wall...might just be because its a $20 amazon version. More to come.

build 2)
under 4L displacement (some decisions to be made on heatsink to use)
-Asrock x570 tb3 itx
-Ryzen 5900x
-Nvidia A4000
-hdplex 400w ac-dc AND dc-atx all inside the box :)
status: ran for testing, dissassembled, parts currently being laser cut.

build 3)
displacement not narrowed down. Smaller than Apple Trash-can is my only want.
-supermicro x9srw-f
-Xeon E5 2690-v2 10-core 20-thread bclk'd to 4ghz
-128 gb ddr3 1866 ram
-bios mod for nvme boot drive over pci-e x8 slot
-solder mod to pci-e x16 riser to flip gpu mounting
-wx7100 undervolted/downclocked running wx5100 heatsink.
status: functioning on bench. still getting things measured and trying to see if I can get nvme raid-0 working (first time doing this, this one is just for fun and I think it'll be a neat retro high-performance hot rod. The nvme raid configuration will dictate case thickness, cpu heatsink and final bclk overclock)

build 4) "SFF" blender render farm, 15L or less with space for 8 workstation single slot cards. max size 56 cm x 35 cm x 23 cm
goal is something fairly mobile/fits in a carry-on and can be use on a 15amp circuit. This will be my first render farm build and I'm utilizing a lot of mining equipment that is cheap now:
-chinese lga1155 "X7-CA-V 124A" it's a mini-dtx motherboard with two PCI-e slots. 170x190mm
-xeon e3-1260L-v2 4core-8thread 45w tdp (can you tell I like sandy-ivy yet? haha!)
-undecided ddr3 ram, probably 16gb 1866 maybe 32gb ecc if i can get it working.
-two riser cards that split one pci-e signal into 4. pci-e x1 to 4 usb 3.0
-8 gpu's total, 4 wx5100 and 4 wx7100 staggered to give better access to air for cooling
-dual 750w dell server psu with break-out boards.
status: pile-o-parts > need to build a wood version of body for testing.

Listing this out to hold myself accountable to finish :D haha! Feel free to hurdle slanderous taunts to keep me motivated and I will post pics as I learn better picture hosting! Thanks again everybody!

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Go on, get on with it! 😂🤣
You can send this straight back to me as my 4. 5L thin ITX and Big 560 mATX builds have stalled...
The Big 560 looks big enough by eye to take an ATX board 🤯. I do however need a motherboard to test this mad idea with and redesign the mobo tray and rear panels if that is the case. I only have mATX in stocj and nothing cheap locally.
Great builds, that 1.76L really kills my Deskmini!
Sandy/Ivy? Good stuff, I have a, real soft spot for Haswell. 2 Thin ITX and 2 mATX on the go here.

Last edited:
Reactions: forum username

forum username

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 4, 2019
Thanks for the support! Very interested to see what you come up with on the thin itx and matx builds. Haswell is a chip family I have not dived into although I know there are a couple low tdp "L" versions that really interest me in building around, some day hopefully I'll stumble upon a good mo.bo. deal and start messing with them.