Project Amphitrite - A fully submerged, oil cooled enclousure

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Novec and Fluorinert (and other fluoroketone and fluorocarbon mixes) are really neat fluids for immersion cooling, but really really expensive to play around with. And many have some annoying high vapour pressures (though others with similar properties have low vapour pressures, gotta read them datasheets!) so need to be kept sealed or all your expensive fluid escapes.

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
The initial learning curve is the tough part. There's always more to learn, but once you get past the basics and can make material progress on the design instead of having to look up how to do stuff every 3 minutes, it gets easier.
Yep, I tried solidworks before but I found out that it is too hard to even get the basics :/ Spaceclaim is another story, this is my third day using it and I feel like I'm better in it than sketchup already :D

I really want to use Novec as well, then I will have a true silent pc! But sadly it is crazy expensive and the fact that you have to add more Novec to your tank every now and then just make it impossible for customer use :(

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Spaceclaim is another story, this is my third day using it and I feel like I'm better in it than sketchup already

That's what I found too, I could quickly translate my SketchUp workflow into SpaceClaim and start making cool things instead of banging my head on the desk over dealing with a parametric modeler like SolidWorks. You still using SketchUp @Necere?

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
That's what I found too, I could quickly translate my SketchUp workflow into SpaceClaim and start making cool things instead of banging my head on the desk over dealing with a parametric modeler like SolidWorks. You still using SketchUp @Necere?
It is a good thing that I'm still a student :D 49.95$ annually.. I say its worth it!

Reactions: jeshikat

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
so need to be kept sealed or all your expensive fluid escapes.

Actually, I talked with Gigabyte about this exhibit at the show. Their set-up was completely open at the top and relied on the buoyancy of the fluid to condense on a radiator at the top of the tank.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Looking good..

Reactions: Stumbler

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Are you using something for the screenshots or is that straight out of SpaceClaim?

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, yet another thing that's wonderfully cheap for students but $1000+ otherwise :(

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Yes, I'm sure it is safe to put a PSU under mineral oil :D it is non-conductive.
Agreed. If Linus does it, just do the same thing as him.

P.S. I was kidding, never, ever, ever follow Linus' steps. Even he says, "Do as I say, not as I do."

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah I am. I tried a bunch of different CAD programs a while back, but every single one had something I didn't like about it. Sketchup is second nature for me at this point and I can bang out ideas quickly, and I have a big library of parts built up. It's got its own quirks, of course, but I'm used to them and can work around them pretty efficiently. At the end of the day, it mostly does what I need it to do, and there's not a real compelling reason for me to switch away from it.

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Yeah I am. I tried a bunch of different CAD programs a while back, but every single one had something I didn't like about it. Sketchup is second nature for me at this point and I can bang out ideas quickly, and I have a big library of parts built up. It's got its own quirks, of course, but I'm used to them and can work around them pretty efficiently. At the end of the day, it mostly does what I need it to do, and there's not a real compelling reason for me to switch away from it.
Hey Necere!
Do you know wher can I get those internal power extension cable you are using in you NCase M1? I can't find any on the market...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Sketchup is second nature for me at this point and I can bang out ideas quickly, and I have a big library of parts built up.

I can understand that, I still occasionally catch myself trying to use SketchUp shortcuts in SpaceClaim and get confused why it's not working.

And SpaceClaim has native import/export of .SU files so if you ever need anything converted just let me know.