Production Lazer3D HT5 - Low Profile APU Case

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
I speed-read through this thread. I know next to nothing about DC-DC power supplies but I'm sure there're plenty of resources here to set me straight before I piece together a build. I am ecstatic about the possibilities of a high-airflow/high-cooling APU design. The reviews I've seen seem to indicate that one of the major barriers to OC APU performance is temperature: slap a decent cooler on it and prosper. However, that is antithetical to the HTPC/tiny build use case. I'm excited to see the two come together in this case.

The only thing that gives me anxiety (well, besides the power supply thing) is that adding the dGPU would negate my hard work OC'ing the iGPU... But I do like to crank game settings... decisions decisions.

Final thought: I hope this project pans out successfully soon, partially on its own merits but partially because I want to see what you come up with for a case that fits full-size GPUs :)

This was my problem too. I purchased one of these cases to replace an aging alienware alpha thats got an i7. Its peppy but the built in gpu is kinda lack luster and showing its age in games. With that being said I kinda was feeling the same way do I go Low Profile Discreet GPU or iGPU and honestly with the 2400G and its built in GPU is great. I Have it on my test bench while I wait for my M.2 drive to come in. But with my HDPLEX 160W adapter and the low power draw of my total build its doing well. If you do an M.2 build with the 2400G you should be able to run it off the adapter and no extra cabling. Ill be taking photos of my build to demonstrate this once i get that M.2. Im hoping to run all this RGB lighting and 4 80mm fans in the case along with a Bequiet low profile cooler to get max cooling efficiency and with PWM low ambient sound

Reactions: K888D

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018

..jokes aside, we all know you're hard at work with both the HT5 and LZ7 deliveries! May is closing in though, and i hope R&D is going well! What are the odds we'll see any updates soon?

On a side note, my HDPlex 160W AC-DC & DC-DC has arrived, and supplies for custom cabling & sleeving is en route.
My hands are getting itchy, so I figured i'd need a side project to pass the time :)

Last edited:

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
This was my problem too. I purchased one of these cases to replace an aging alienware alpha thats got an i7. Its peppy but the built in gpu is kinda lack luster and showing its age in games. With that being said I kinda was feeling the same way do I go Low Profile Discreet GPU or iGPU and honestly with the 2400G and its built in GPU is great. I Have it on my test bench while I wait for my M.2 drive to come in. But with my HDPLEX 160W adapter and the low power draw of my total build its doing well. If you do an M.2 build with the 2400G you should be able to run it off the adapter and no extra cabling. Ill be taking photos of my build to demonstrate this once i get that M.2. Im hoping to run all this RGB lighting and 4 80mm fans in the case along with a Bequiet low profile cooler to get max cooling efficiency and with PWM low ambient sound

Good info, thanks. I've a hard time sorting through figuring "real" power draw figures especially when adding in a little more esoteric devices like USB accessories or portable monitors and the like. I'd hate to plug in my cell phone and then trip my power supply on overcurrent because I was also using a portable monitor and cosmic RGB keyboard while gaming.

Is there an SFFForum recommended power calculator that gives the most accurate numbers? Perhaps I should forum search it first.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
What are the odds we'll see any updates soon?

I received yesterday the official order from OcUK for HT5 cases, it was attached to an order for more LZ7 parts as demand for that case has skyrocketed over the past few months.

Before the case is launched though I also need to prepare the photos, specifications and product descriptions, I appreciate the support everyone and I'm sorry that there have been some delays in bringing the HT5 to market.

A realistic time frame at this point would be late May / early June for launching the HT5.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
Is there an SFFForum recommended power calculator that gives the most accurate numbers?

I dont know whats recommended around here, but previously I've had success with the outervision calculator.

I received yesterday the official order from OcUK for HT5 cases, it was attached to an order for more LZ7 parts as demand for that case has skyrocketed over the past few months.
Good news on the official OcUK orders, as well as your continued success with the LZ7 - congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing the finalized product & spec :)

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I also recommend the Outervision calc - it's been my go to since the early days!

Reactions: ebc92

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Quick Update:

I've widened the case by 6mm to allow you to install a HDPLEX 300w or 160w AC-DC internal adapter for a completely brickless system.

This should allow 3 types of layouts:

GPU BRICKLESS
GPU installed on left side of the case, AC-DC installed on right side of the case, Direct plug or Pico style DC-DC PSU required (type that plugs straight into ATX 24 pin connector). No case fans can be installed.

APU BRICKLESS
HDPLEX DC-ATX or equivalent installed on left side of the case, AC-DC installed on right side of the case. No case fans can be installed.

APU BRICKLESS with Case Fans
AC-DC installed on right side of case, Direct Plug or Pico style PSU required, 2x 80mm case fans on left side of case.

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
Thanks for the update, still looking forward to this case! Now that you support the 160W/300W HDPlex bricks, will the case also have mountpoints for them like it has for the 400W DC-DC adapter?

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Thanks for the update, still looking forward to this case! Now that you support the 160W/300W HDPlex bricks, will the case also have mountpoints for them like it has for the 400W DC-DC adapter?
It won't have mount points for the AC-DC units as this would have added a further 6mm, I'm hoping that you guys will accept this an acceptable compromise? The AC-DC units should be able to be mounted with double sided tape or Velcro tape to the side panels.

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
So i was finally completing my build as the last few components came in and I want to warn everyone. The Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI with the Plex 160watt DC-ATX Power supply wont fit as the Memory DIMM clip doesnt give sufficient space. With that being said this case is great for fitment on everything else. Im now in the market for a b350 mini-itx or x370 mini itx from msi or Asrock so I can take shots for you all to show the great fitment on this case.

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
It won't have mount points for the AC-DC units as this would have added a further 6mm, I'm hoping that you guys will accept this an acceptable compromise? The AC-DC units should be able to be mounted with double sided tape or Velcro tape to the side panels.

Is there any tape with thermal properties so that the HDPlex can dissipate some heat on the case chasis instead of internally? I'm thinking something like a sticky thermal pad

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
Is there any tape with thermal properties so that the HDPlex can dissipate some heat on the case chasis instead of internally? I'm thinking something like a sticky thermal pad

I dont think you want the heat dissipated to the case as its made of plastic and that will cause warping.

K888D

SFF Guru
Original poster
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
The Gigabyte GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI with the Plex 160watt DC-ATX Power supply wont fit as the Memory DIMM clip doesnt give sufficient space.

Thanks for the feedback, whereabouts are you trying to mount the AC-DC unit? In the front of the case or the side of the case?

I'm not sure you will be able to build a system in the HT5 that will strain a HDPLEX unit to the point where you have to worry about thermals with them?

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, whereabouts are you trying to mount the AC-DC unit? In the front of the case or the side of the case?

I'm not sure you will be able to build a system in the HT5 that will strain a HDPLEX unit to the point where you have to worry about thermals with them?
Oh i used the 160watt HDPLEX unit so it has a heat-sink right on the plug.

mrp0p1nfr3sh

Average Stuffer
Sep 4, 2017
ALL RIGHTY Y'ALL. I finally got my build done. i swapped half the parts in the build. tested the hardware and was able to get it working.
First off my thoughts on the case. Its small. Its acrylic its got wood so it'll look classy AF wherever you put it. I've built in acrylic cases before and one thing I've noticed is every company has their own idea on how to put panels together. The system i used here honestly scared the crap outa me because I didn't think it would work. I am ready to eat crow because its one of the best construction systems I've used. Like seriously you could make a case out of any type of material with the same system and it'll work the same this case is engineered right. Panel fitment is perfect and the more you build it the more structurally sound it is. I got a beta case so your experience should be even better. No Tesla model 3 headaches here. I didn't want to build this thing with a GPU so I went with an APU setup. So lets go down the rabbit hole together and ill take pics in a few days when my SLR is accessible. So First off the power supply I am using one of the best power supplies I've tried.

The HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX is whats powering my system. But i have the black cabled version. This decision will eventually end up haunting me but we dont need to get ahead of ourself.

So the motherboard I originally chose was the GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI

That power supply with the damn Memory slot means a no go ghostrider. Wont fit whatsoever. So now we go to a new motherboard.

Had to buy the Asrock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

As you see in the pic the power supply fits the memory with JUST ENOUGH space.

That memory fitment tho

So next i started building with some cooling. Cuz this baby gonna get warm.

That bequiet! bracket will prove to be Headache PART DEUX

I tried flipping it and no go.

So The Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 Becomes my new APU Heatsink.

Next.

All right here i got the fans and cables started to be managed.

The walls are coming together

and

and the diffuser installed is great.

Ill take better photos in the morning. But its great and works and keeps my system cool. Would recommend to everyone.

Complete specs

AMD Ryzen 5 2400g
ASROCK Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16gb DDR4-2400 2X8GB memory kit
Samsung PM960 Series 256GB NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
HDPLEX 160W DC-AT (Alienware Alpha Power brick)
I built it to play emulators and light games like Overwatch, Realm Royale and Left 4 Dead 2

Its a great system and cheap for what it does. I will take photos of the exterior later next week. Ask any questions that you may have and ill help answer what i can.