zs-a4s - book sized build

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
The edges are not rounded, but they're burr free, I don't think it's possible to cut yourself with the case. I agree it'd be nicer to have rounded edges on both sides of the vented panels, but I guess it would increase the fabrication time quite a bit, as there are a lot of hex vents and it'd require turning the aluminum pieces around.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
It would be worth double checking the PSU connectors before you buy one, I am sure the platinum DOESN'T have the required PCIe 6+2/or 8 pin: FSP500-50FSPT

The Gold however does. FSP500-50FGGBN

SFF EOL

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 9, 2018
Nice case and at face value a good price at $104. That is relatively cheap in £ although getting it into the UK is always a bit of a worry because of the taxes and duty.

Not sure they are selling it that well with “ Small chassis is easy to heat” If I am looking at a flat then easy to heat is a selling point, not so much with a PC case. Sounds like a nice, balanced, affordable build as well.

I got a 'deal' a while back on one decent STX PSU and two Flex PSU, I didn't really now much about Flex at the time, the noise issue, so they are still waiting to be used/have new fans fitted. I think I won't use Flex in general though, for me they don't seem to solve any problems and you do have the noise. I think though it is possable that there is a Flex out there that does make sense, but the ones I have are more 'server' orientated.

Nice to see, are they hex bolts? I am having a small bit of trouble with bolts, 3mm seem to have dried up, countersunk flathead anyway. I can get them but only in bulk, thousands. The Hex I can get in 50s, and 2.5M are no problem but 2.5M are no use for pre-existing holes. I was a bit worried that Hex wouldn’t look as good and didn’t want to buy 50 to find out.

They look good though, clearly if you countersink the head matters a lot less. Are they 3M (3mm)? I ask as I am starting to play with 5M/5mm which are easy to get and I quite like, obviously they are noticeably bigger so it really needs a design where the bolt is a feature. It isn’t going to happen as I don’t have time, but I like the idea of anodised aluminium case (something quite funky colouwise) with a contrasting coloured countersunk 5M bolt/machine screw. Not sure how the bolts get coloured and anodised is expensive anyway. Sorry, wandering off topic.

Last edited:

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
A&M Solutions and Design LLC
Jul 30, 2018
So I got these brackets, any idea?
Mine arrived just today.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
So I got these brackets, any idea?
Mine arrived just today.

These are for 2.5'' SSD.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Jul 30, 2018
These are for 2.5'' SSD.

Thank you.

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Jul 30, 2018
By the way peeps, I was able to fit the Black Ridge in this by cutting part of the frame and adding 8mm spacer between the frame and the panel.

It is now 6.03L with the black ridge installed

Edit: should the top fans but pulling are our or in for a black ridge 120mm fan setup. It got pretty toasty

Last edited:

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
By the way peeps, I was able to fit the Black Ridge in this by cutting part of the frame and adding 8mm spacer between the frame and the panel.

It is now 6.03L with the black ridge installed

Edit: should the top fans but pulling are our or in for a black ridge 120mm fan setup. It got pretty toasty
I'd say blowing down towards the motherboard. Do you have any pictures? The more the better please :D

walterjrscs

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2019
Tried purchasing this case today using a taobao agent but the agent said it's sold out and that the seller doesn't plan on making a new batch.
I don't really believe them but, has anyone else had issues purchasing this case recently? What agent can I use, or any tips for buying from Taobao directly?

AURMEND

Destroyer of PCs
Jul 30, 2018
Tried purchasing this case today using a taobao agent but the agent said it's sold out and that the seller doesn't plan on making a new batch.
I don't really believe them but, has anyone else had issues purchasing this case recently? What agent can I use, or any tips for buying from Taobao directly?

i used BHINER. they contact the seller if the seller says hes not making anymore then maybe its true (due to not much of a profit maybe and the hassle)

I'm too lazy to disconnect everything to remove the panel

But basically you ARE going to need a hacksaw and a Dremel to fit a black ridge in it

Last edited:

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
That might be true, he's discontinuing all his old models but if you contact him directly he might have some unsold stock. Alternatively this seller here has a similar case that has room for a 49mm CPU cooler:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Just contacted the vendor, and he said that he said that he'll be releasing updated versions of his all current PC cases at the end of the month, so a ZS-A4S v2 is coming soon!
Did they say what was being updated? Pretty excited, I'd say the ZS-A4 series is my favorite of the Taobao mini-sandwich cases.