zs-a4s - book sized build

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
As mentioned above, the FSP 500W Platinum FSP500-50FSPT is the one to get, supposed to be quiet.

Alternatively, steal the idea from https://www.geeekstore.com/shop/custom-flex-atx-modular-psu/ and get a Delta DPS-500AB-16 A and mod it with a Delta ASB0412LC-BV38 . I am not 100% how easy that mod is because the latter fan is PWM.
The only issue with them right now is that they don't have any 500w psu available.
It brakes my heart. :(

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
With the breakout board of theirs it wouldn't fit anyways, or so I thought. It's 170 mm deep not 150 mm.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I notice that the seller don't really provide options for the holes on the case. Hope u keep us update with the fan situation. Very unique.
Also, i do need a 500w power supply, any ideas where to get one?
The cpu fan, could it give better temps blowing inwards or outwards?
Thank you.

I'm tearing down the power supply in a few hours, so I think I'll be able to install the case fans too. As chx said, the FSP 500 W could be an option. It was around $140 last time I checked (Amazon/Newegg).

I haven't changed the CPU fan orientation. I'll do it in a bit and report back the results.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Well, I got some things done:

I had to take the PSU apart to get more info on its fan. It has the part number MGA4012ZB-A15, and according to some Aliexpress listings, it is a 20 cfm unit. The Noctua 40 mm ones give about 5 cfm if I'm not mistaken, so I assume swapping the fan will result in worse PSU temps.

I also got the two 80 mm case fans installed. I made a extension cable with the matching fan connector and wired both fans in parallel.

I tapped the fan mounting holes with a M5 tap, and used M5x8 socket head bolts to fix them to the case. The bolts have a big, grippy head that can be turned easily by hand, without the need for a wrench or screwdriver that wouldn't fit inside the case with all the other parts installed.

As @jmsantos requested, I tested the CPU fan as intake and exhaust. Intake (default configuration) wins by about 5 degrees when running the Prime95 blend torture test, at full fan speeds.

Now the case fan results. At 30% (these are not PWM, but voltage controlled fans), everything is 5 to 8 ºC cooler, and I mean everything, including the mobo VRMs and the SSD, and they don't make much noise at all. At full speed (3300 rpm) however, they improve cooling a lot. For example, without the case fans, while running the small FFT test, my 4670k uses almost 100 W and heats up to 98 ºC, with the Noctua cooler at full speed. With the case fans it only reaches 85 ºC. The system is very loud if it gets to this, but now I should be able to push the processor to 4.0 GHz and not overheat it when doing some CPU heavy work, and I can leave the room while the computer does its thing.

Reactions: Mako

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Oh, for any fan swappers out there, the PSU fan uses a two pin JST PH (2 mm pitch), a very common connector.

jmsantos1983

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 12, 2017
Welcome to the family! What are you cramming inside that little thing?
I have the top off for the moment with two noctua 80mm fans and my sfx psu for the moment. Waiting for the power supply. Want to know if there space for 80mm 15mm fans. Thank you.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Do you think I will be able to fit a Zotac GTX 1070 Mini? https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-mini#spec

The Zotac card is a little shorter (Length 232mm vs 211)mm, a little thicker (40mm vs 41mm) and a bit wider (116mm vs 125mm).

I can get a good deal on a 2nd hard card from a friend, seeing how much I can cram in that case.

Length and width wise it should fit without problem. The case is designed to fit a 40mm thick card, according to the vendor. The measured GPU chamber space is a bit more than 43 mm, however, the back of the GPU doesn't go all the way to the back, so it can't use the full 43mm. My GPU thickness is 39mm (40 according to manufacturer), including back plate, and its fans almost touch the side panel. Your 1070 will probably fit, but you'll probably have to fight it a bit.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
Length and width wise it should fit without problem. The case is designed to fit a 40mm thick card, according to the vendor. The measured GPU chamber space is a bit more than 43 mm, however, the back of the GPU doesn't go all the way to the back, so it can't use the full 43mm. My GPU thickness is 39mm (40 according to manufacturer), including back plate, and its fans almost touch the side panel. Your 1070 will probably fit, but you'll probably have to fight it a bit.
Thanks for the reply buddy!

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
I'm thinking of downsizing my build into one of these. Not sure if it's a good idea thought since I have a delidded 8700k and a 1080Ti.

500W Gold/Plat should suffice with no/minimal OC, but the thermals on a NH-L9i will be cutting it close.

I am also considering some modded Delta Flex units like these https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...706&pvid=b48b08bb-96da-4aed-83dc-33e65cfc0bd9. A little wary about the quality but I can ask for 2x6+2 PCie out easily, instead of modding/finding adapters myself with the FSP flex units.

Otherwise, I'd probably get a bigger case like Dan A4/similar.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I'm thinking of downsizing my build into one of these. Not sure if it's a good idea thought since I have a delidded 8700k and a 1080Ti.

500W Gold/Plat should suffice with no/minimal OC, but the thermals on a NH-L9i will be cutting it close.

I am also considering some modded Delta Flex units like these https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...706&pvid=b48b08bb-96da-4aed-83dc-33e65cfc0bd9. A little wary about the quality but I can ask for 2x6+2 PCie out easily, instead of modding/finding adapters myself with the FSP flex units.

Otherwise, I'd probably get a bigger case like Dan A4/similar.

The video card cooling shouldn't be an issue, the case won't starve it for air. The 8700k with an L9i is where the fun is at. I have a delidded 4670k at 4.0 GHz, and when I run Prime95, it stays just shy of 100 ºC with every fan at full speed. However, with normal work loads/1080p gaming, it practically never goes above 80 ºC. Also, the L9i fan is excellent. I can make it run at 100% and it will be quieter than my case fans at 30-40%. You'll probably have to go for a combination of undervolt and light overclock.

The main issue with the flex PSU is the tiny fan. The non modular cables, while annoying, can be tucked away for the most part. I'd recommend investigating a bit about the fan on that modded Delta unit.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
The video card cooling shouldn't be an issue, the case won't starve it for air. The 8700k with an L9i is where the fun is at. I have a delidded 4670k at 4.0 GHz, and when I run Prime95, it stays just shy of 100 ºC with every fan at full speed. However, with normal work loads/1080p gaming, it practically never goes above 80 ºC. Also, the L9i fan is excellent. I can make it run at 100% and it will be quieter than my case fans at 30-40%. You'll probably have to go for a combination of undervolt and light overclock.

The main issue with the flex PSU is the tiny fan. The non modular cables, while annoying, can be tucked away for the most part. I'd recommend investigating a bit about the fan on that modded Delta unit.

The modded PSU has the cables cut to length for the ZS-A4s and can be modded into modular as well. The PSU fan might be loud, but It can be swapped out with something like a Noctua 40mm.

The main issue would still be CPU cooling as you said. Hmmm, maybe I should give it a try.

ott8621

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
The modded PSU has the cables cut to length for the ZS-A4s and can be modded into modular as well. The PSU fan might be loud, but It can be swapped out with something like a Noctua 40mm.

I don't know about the Noctua fan. If the one inside the Delta unit is similar to the one the 400 W FSP uses, the Noctua most likely will not produce enough air flow (20 cfm vs 5 cfm). Experimentation is key for this PSU mod.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Can you talk about edges on the hex vents, are they sharp or rounded? Rounded edges would give an edge to airflow compared to sharp edges, not to mention minimizing the risk of cutting yourself if you're running your hand over the surface of the case